Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Magma Lube Sizer

Magma Lube Sizer

I size and lube with a Magma tool. I'm considering obtaining a Freechex III, and wonder whether .44 caliber aluminum checks can be expected to seat and crimp properly on a Lyman 429215 with the Magma fed nose first. I seat and crimp the Hornaday checks to good effect in that manner, but have no experience with aluminum checks. Is it necessary to seat and crimp the aluminum checks base first?
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Cadillo,
    I have no experience with the Lyman Boolit, but the Freechex Chex go on and stay on with the Star sizer Luber I use. I get great accuracy too. The Freechex III does not give you that crimp that you get with the Hornady checks, you simply let the die swage them in place. Just make sure you are using the right aluminum thickness. I use Lithoplate for everything from 22 cal to 45/70 boolits.

THX!

Can you refer me to a source for the lithoplate?

Also, what is the thickness of the lithoplate?

Boolit Grand Master

How tight it crimps is going to be determined by the shank size and aluminium thickness. The great thing about making your own checks if you control every aspect of them.

Try your local newspaper or pennysaver office. Find out who runs the press and hook up with him, most office people won't even know what you are talking about. There are several members on here that sell aluminum stock for making checks. I like free, so I use the Lithoplate.

Banned

Mr. Richard Boone

i have a magma star sizer and have seated gas checks base first one at a time. The old san diego star die would not work but magma star die would seat checks. Now l mostly seat gas checks on arbor press and buy checks from sageoutdoors.com from here on site.

Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    Mr. Richard Boone

i have a magma star sizer and have seated gas checks base first one at a time. The old san diego star die would not work but magma star die would seat checks. Now l mostly seat gas checks on arbor press and buy checks from sageoutdoors.com from here on site.
    As stated above I seat and crimp Hornaday checks nose first to good effect. Changing to base first would require totally readjusting my punches, something that I will not do. I'd rather stay with Hornaday Checks instead. My question was whether anyone was successfully seating and crimping aluminum checks nose first on the Magma machine. You've not told me whether you are referring to aluminum or copper checks.

Banned

I like base first on any boolit any check IMHO. I have custom punches that helped me on arbor press. I sold my stars. l did buy a lyman 45 (collecting parts w/ss check) to have around. With hitech or pc l still use pbgc's or copper hornaday gc's on the 38 boolit. The pc boolit photos only thread really swung me in different direction. Dang beautiful period, One pic had a boolit with pc/gc/& it was lubed. No leading there, hehehe.

You know randy boone grew up down the street here in Fayetteville nc, he still lives here (think he moved). l saw him last year. "Richard's relative" Randy started in tv and movies early.
    Last edited by gunoil; 07-02-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm currently making 44/cal aluminum gas checks using commercial dies. My setup allows me to make the gas check fit the bullet not fit the gas check to the bullet. I also use a Star Sizer seating gas checks nose down first with no problems. To my surprise I have the correct calculations to make 44/cal gas checks and any other caliber I choose in the future.

The first gas check made was easily placed on the shank then seated. As stated in previous posts you need a screwdriver to pry off the seated gas check. One size will not necessarily work for all application. There are many variables involved.

First, all bullets cast using different molds and different lead mixture will always cast to a different size.
    Second, all gas checks made with purchased gas check makers may or may not work unless custom made to your cast bullet shank size.
    Third, the gas check ID is the most important dimension. To big it will not crimp on tightly. To small it won't fit or crimp on like it should.

I went through this learning curve several years ago using the Star Sizer. The gas check needs to be able to be placed on the bullet shank with little or no effort making sure it is flush on the base. With the feed thru sizer design there is a limited amount of force to seat the gas check properly.
    If my cast bullet shank measured 0.400" then I used a 0.401" punch to make the finished gas check ID.

Like I stated the gas check needs to be made to fit your bullet, not trying to make any gas check work for your application.
    If your having problems seating gas checks nose down on a Star Sizer then I would say you have the wrong size gas check.
    Hope this helps.