Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Recovered Powder Coated Samples ....

Recovered Powder Coated Samples ....

I did a little bit of shooting today. My backstop is a series of pallets followed up with a 5' X 7' / 1/2" steel plate at a 45 degree angle. I put some pallets under the plate to slow down the lead so it does not splatter to dust.

I was pleased to see the amount of powder coat that was still left on the bullets. Please note these were mostly stopped by multiple layers of cheap pine boards.

The load was 200gr RNFP with 5 grains of Red Dot. ie a mild target load. I used the ASBB Signal Blue from Smoke.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue coat -reclaim 5-15.jpg 
Views:	1020 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	138556
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

looks like some light groove engravings on those boolits. They look pretty good to have went threw the wood. It is nice to recover boolits!
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    I've been wanting to see how these do after striking whatever kind of target I can find.

I was shooting some .38 spl out of a Rossi model 92 at some steel; the rules are lead boolits in this particular competition, mostly so we don't get splashback from the steel plates.

If the boolits work correctly off the steel, the targets should direct that splash downward. I shot a few coated w/ HF red, and we could find no evidence of splash--no dust puffs below the targets, and no pieces w/ red powdercoat on them.

Finally we did a target that had been freshly painted and we could see the striations in the paint from the splash; finally we found a dime-sized piece of flat lead, to which was still affixed the powdercoat. So mostly the boolit performed as per requirements, but the PC was clearly able to stand up to the abuse and hold onto the lead.

I've been baking some 9mm boolits tonite using the same Signal Blue as you're using above. Glad to see it can hold up even better than I'd have hoped.

PS: I'm wondering what the reaction would be of anyone who would mine a backstop at a range and discover all sorts of rainbow colors of boolits.

Boolit Master

I shot some of my "hotter" .45acp loads into a hard wood stump after splitting the log I couldn't believe. How much of the blue PC from smoke was still on the boolit!

Boolit Buddy
    Fill a Tupperware tub to the top with rubber mulch from your local garden nursery center and shoot into it, it will stop magnum rifle rounds in the first 14". Dig em out and collect to your hearts content. Tip: don't powder coat the same color as your rubber mulch color.
    stay frosty

Boolit Master

Nothing new.

Name:	IMG_2070.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	138653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2068.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	138654

These 9mm and 45's were caught in bullet test tube soft wax media. That's HF red that I tumble coated.

I'd like to try some of smokes powder if I could figure out how to order it. I got some Harley orange and wet black from powder by the pound. It works really well in my HF ESPC gun, not so good in tumble lube. I haven't recovered any of the PBTP coated yet. Now that summer is here, I can get to the range more. More reports to follow.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have found some of my coated boolits. The coating is mostly still there exept where scraped off by where it landed or entered the wood.

PC is one tough cookie! I can smash a 45 300 gn slug into a cube with ALL the powder still in tact. Try it on any of your slugs .............and be amazed.

bangerjim

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    I have found some of my coated boolits. The coating is mostly still there exept where scraped off by where it landed or entered the wood.

PC is one tough cookie! I can smash a 45 300 gn slug into a cube with ALL the powder still in tact. Try it on any of your slugs .............and be amazed.

bangerjim
    I did the smash test, was equally amazed.

What I don't get it this: I've carried a few dummy rounds in my pocket for the last week or so. PC'd boolits, no powder, no primer, seated and crimped.

The edge at the top of the truncated cone has worn through to the underlying lead. That suggests to me that PC (at least that I use--this particular powder is HF red) is less abrasion resistant than it is capable of sticking to the boolit and handling deformation.

Boolit Master

I found the same thing with my old Klass Kote epoxy coated bullets. Since the HF powders are epoxy based it makes me wonder if the polyester based powders are superior in this respect. Once the epoxy age cures I bet it gets a little brittle. Polyester may or may not do the same.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I would think the rattling around and constant movement in a pocket is much worse than that one time travel down your barrel. The sharper edges are exposed to every little ding and bang and will erode much faster than the fat parts.

Thing is, you cannot see the LEAD that would come off (all the way around) with just grease-coated boolits, contaminating your pocket, hand, and contents with raw lead!

These passed thru a 1/2" thick rubber conveyor belt and into railroad ties. Smokes Signal Blue as well.

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Have no idea why it came out green but that's Harbor Freight red. And oak grips.

They're sharing the same projectile both coated with Harbor Freight red. The 45 ACP is doing about 750 fps maybe a little more. The 45 colt in my Rossi 92 is doing probably right around 1200 and this is a smokeless powder load. First time trying smokeless in it. 20 gr of imr 4227. I think I maybe using to light a Boolit. There coming out at 208gr on average. I'm getting a very dirty burn and a little bit of gas in the face every once in awhile.
    By the way I recovered these by filling a disposable container filled with damp dirt.
    My dads a well driller and has a ton of them around. I think I just figured out a cheap easy way to recover my Boolits
    THE GUN
    The gun has been praised.
    The gun has been denounced.
    The gun has played a critical role in History.
    The gun has been implemented for good.
    The gun has been abused for evil.
    With the gun comes a great moral responsibility!
    To better understand the gun is to better under stand History. And with the gun protect your future.
    D.B

I just found flat as can be pieces of .38 or .45, some round and like 1+ with some red on it. Hit at 25 yds with 550 steel haha. 4 or 5 pieces still didn't weigh 1 boolet weight.

Boolit Master
    Once upon a time...

That was a Mihec 452-200 grain penta hollow point.
    And then there was the Mihec 359-125 penta hollow point that was a little more explosive. Both were shot into water jugs.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mihec PC exp 001.jpg  

Boolit Master

40 S&W Shoot Into Dry Paper

Hello All

The pictures are of some 40 S&W and 38 Special shoot into a stack of paper that was dry.

The bullets were powder coated and also included plain base gas checks made from Cola Can material on the 40 S&W bullets.

Some of the gas checks were still attached to the base of the recovered 40 S&W bullets.

The powder coat was a white color.

The 38 Special did have the Cola Can Gas Checks.

The stack of bound paper was at 15 feet when the shots were fired.

The lead was a 92-6-2 alloy, cast in Magma molds with a Master Caster machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z11.jpg   Z8.jpg  

Boolit Master
    NOE 502 430 grain, but came out to 420 grains with the hollow point. 50 yards into a dirt berm. Had to wait a few weeks before they worked themselves out from being buried so deep. Shed a bunch of weight. Gas checks, and powder coat seems unfazed.

Name:	IMG_20150517_160428.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	139689
    Last edited by xacex; 05-17-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    Mihec 359-125gr in a 9mm. Subsonic out of a 10.5" AR 1039fps. 7 yards into 3 water jugs. Popped first one, through the second, and punctured the third. Seems like it might work for a rabbit. Quiet with suppressor and red dot. Not very accurate due to consistency of getting a good drop of red dot that low. Might have to hand charge these to see if they are any good. These were round hollow point pins. May try the penta to see if I can keep them together subsonic this time. Does not appear to have any powder coat left on base. Hopefully I do not see green in the barrel when I clean.

Name:	IMG_20150517_155914.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	139692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150517_155935.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	139693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150517_160016.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	139694