Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: My wife asked me if i wanted a new freedom arms gun???

My wife asked me if i wanted a new freedom arms gun???

I was in my gun room cleaning one of my favorite guns when my wife came in and asked me if I knew what a Freedom Arms gun was and if I wanted one. My favorite gun I was cleaning at the time happened to be a Freedom Arms mod 83 in a .475 Linebaugh with a 7.5" octagonal bbl. I showed her the name on the gun I was cleaning. Then my mind began to wander, why would she ask that question? It was 2 days after Valentines and 1 day before our 34th wedding anniversary. But my wife has never bought me a gun. I wonder if she recked the truck or lost the dog or one of the kids were moving back in. I just simply asked why? She said she was cleaning out Grandpa's room (He had passed away a few months ago.) and she came across a gun and wanted to know if i wanted it or if she should give to someone else. By this time my brain is yelling .454 Casul so loud that I can hardly hear her speak. She went out side and got the gun and brought it to me. I was really deflated when I saw it was the mini revolver in a .22 with the short bbl and no belt buckle. Then I thought this is a really cool gun that I got to remember my father in law with. It wasn't a .454 but it was still really cool. I added it to my safe and thought my father in law was one of the greatest guys ever. I loved all the years we used to go hunting together. This thread for you "Dad". How many other people got a story about getting something really nice from someone?
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

My grandfather gave me a Ruger MKII on my 19th B-day, and I was also lucky enough to inherit a Glenfield 36G 30-30 from my great uncle. They are both great guns that I cherish and shoot quite often. Thank you for sharing your story!

I cherished the time I spent with my grandfather. I remember watching the watergate trials on TV with him he was getting chemo treatments and I had mumps. When he finally passed on he wanted for me to have a good 22 well I recieved a weatherby mark11 what a nice gun I also recieved with it his skinning knife. That gun was never shot by someone else but me. Unfortunatly someone had to have it and other items of ours. I have not seen that gun again always wanted to replace it with like kind but didn't think it would be right. I am sure it remains in northern california with someone that has no idea what it meant to a kid.

Boolit Grand Master

As far as I know neither of my Grand Fathers ever had guns. I'm sure there were guns in the family, but I was very young, and both had large families.
    I am the current owner of my Dads Winchester model 62, and an LC Smith 12 ga. The rile was bought second hand, and the shotgun was accepted as settlement of a $12. debt owed Him.
    Both are my favorites and will be passed along with the ones I've added to the collection.

One of my fondest memories is rabbit hunting with my grandfather back in the sixties. He had a small dairy farm that had a lot of game. Great days!

I will take all of the LC Smiths you can give me for $12 depts. Wow what a deal.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Boolit Grand Master

That LC Smith taken for payment of a debt, was in the very early 50s, and $12. was a lot more bacon and eggs, than it is now. Still it was all the debtor had, and was as agreed.
    Dad made as much off lending to drunks and poker players, as he did in wages. Often the same fellow borrowed the same money every week, on Monday, and payed it back on payday. Dad even loaned money to a fellow who had nothing to pay back with, but his wife an baby. Since Dad already had one of each , he demanded the fellow help dig out our basement. That's where my loading room is now.
    I've seen Dad go to the bank and borrow, to loan at a higher interest rate, to those the bank wouldn't deal with. He sometimes had to take beef, pork, or live chickens, but he always got paid, since he was a last resort for many. He also gave some of the groceries back, to those in real need.
    Living through the depression taught some hard lessons to those who were determined to survive.

Boolit Master

Mold maker, your Dad sounds like somebody I would've liked to have known.
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan