Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Choices for Single Stage press!

Banned

I believe there was an A2 on S&S yesterday.

Found it, would get it if I needed a press.

Second is a new in box RCBS A2 Press..Primer arm and universal shell holder top ram. Never used. This is the later A2 without the top bushing. Need to get 300 dollars + shipping..As stated it is NEW.

Banned

hard to beat the lee classic cast breech lock, i have a pair, nothing out there in reload press land is better, imho.

Boolit Master
    Trigger, I wasn't unloading on you but your post did catch my eye because you made several observations I disagree with as you stated them. Actually, the 'harsh' things I mentioned was prompted by others who have said some really silly things that are either untrue or totally irrelevant to the OP's question.

I certainly don't hate my RC 2; well, except the way it tosses spent primers but I bought a little Lee Reloader and universal decap die to solve that problem. (Liked that so well I got another to mount a Lee AutoPrime 2 on - do love that two press priming system!) I also love the RCBS Precision Case Mics, except for the lousy dummy bullet device they have; no one has a lock on everything good!

I sure don't love everything Lee makes ... like that (semi) Safety Scale that's quite sensitive, very accurate but is also so light most of us keep bumping it around. I do love my old Lyman M-5 scale but it's no longer readily available and usually costs more than it's worth to a new guy when one shows up on eBay. BUT, IF it's assembled and used correctly, my cheep little Lee Perfect Powder Measure works astonishingly well, especially with the coarse tubular rifle powders my excellent old iron Redding Master and Herter's Model Perfect (?) measures struggle with.

Lee's warrantee is two years, if there's an honest manufacturing defect we should find it by then. No one gives away parts for "free". No one can afford to do that so those 'free' parts costs are factored into the original price. I take care of my tools and, in 50 years, have never had to order anything but a couple of small coil springs, a decap rod I bent and a few pins I broke, and a shell holder retaining C spring that snapped all by itself after about 20 years. And I once tried to get a new Precisioneered die body but ...

The one time I called RCBS to get a part I wanted to buy a (stripped) replacement body for a badly rusted 7-08 FL die that had been rain leaked on in long storage. The very nice C.S. lady not only wouldn't give me one, she wouldn't even sell me one! She did offer to sell me a new full set - at full MSRP, plus shipping! I politely declined and just bought a new Lee set on-line, at half the total green cost, and got another shell holder tossed in. (And the "cheep" new Lee dead length seater die gives me straighter reloads than my old RCBS seater. ??)
    Last edited by 1hole; 04-18-2015 at 11:14 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    The Lee dumping primers through the ram is a nice feature. Don't know about the others but LCC bushing can be unscrewed and replaced with Hornady quick change bushing sleeve if you wanted to go that route.
    What I did! Well worth it!
    Jerry
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Grand Master
    RCBS.
    If you have the cash, The Forster Co-ax is very nice.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    1HOLE, SAD TO HEAR ABOUT THE RUSTED DIE. THAT IS THE ONE THING THAT RCBS DOES NOT AND WILL NOT WARRANTY. i HAD A FRIEND WHOSE ROCKCHUCKER PRESS SAT DIRECTLY BELOW AN UNKNOWN ROOF LEAK... WITH AN RCBS SEATER DIE STILL IN IT. RCBS SAID SOO SORRY TO HEAR THAT.

I BREAK/BEND DECAP STEMS DUE TO OFF CENTER FLASH HOLES IN BRASS ALL THE TIME. AND THEY DO SEND ME REPLACEMENTS... FREE OF CHARGE. AND IT IS TRUE, RCBS DOES NOT SELL RETAIL.... NOT EVEN TO ME. SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR BAD EXPERIENCE.

Ok guys I am the OP of this thread! I can't believe how far this post has gone!!

Here is what I decided to do after reading all of the posts on here. I bought a Lee Classic Cast and I will tell you guys why (only fair I asked you why for your suggestions!).

1) Cast Iron
    2) Made in USA
    3) With removal of bushing I can use Hornady LNL quick change bushings. I already own a LNL press and Bushings!
    4) Hollow Ram for Primer removal
    5) 1-1/8" Ram
    6) Cost $97 (at a company called Wideners) this was a concern but not the only reason I bought this press
    7) Many of your experience's from this post
    8) One of the largest frame openings
    9) Strong enough to do Swaging (if I can ever afford the dies!!)
    10) Did I mention MADE IN THE USA!! I like that!!

Thanks guys for all of your suggestions I took so much of this into consideration prior to deciding. I always get GREAT INFORMATION on this site!! I will be looking for Competition Dies in the near future and some of the money I saved on this press will be used for them!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Banned

You had three can't miss choices and you will not be disappointed.
    Congratulations

Banned

i've always come back to a single stage. i have no need for either pistol or rifle loading volume, so i've never bothered with progressives. i've been reloading since the early 60's and have used quite a few different brand name presses, both s/s and turret. i used to load .38spl. .357mag, 9mm and .45acp on a redding t-7, and lots of different rifle calibers on rcbs, lyman, redding, hornady, star and good ol' lee classic s/s and turrets. lee is all i use these dayze, IF a press is required.

to the op - ya made a solid press choice, sir!

Boolit Master

Gliden07

good choice and best wished

I got to laughing about this last night- not long ago there was a post "how many presses...? " About 1/2 of those 1000 who responed were in the 7-10 prsses gruop, as I recall. Just so you know were yer headed.. lol

Boolit Master
    Gliden 07

have fun with your new purchase! The only press that I know of not made in the U.S. is Smart Reloader.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Mold
    And when you matured from the LEE you might be ready for the real deal. A Redding UltraMag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Img_3500.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	137460

SCNR

Banned

no, just get this: all around great station in your shop and buy a 1 ton $53 arborpress from Harborfreight. Two stations u will always use till you die. Buy good stuff.

I've been reloading for 30+ year's and went with a new LEE Classic Turret. Set the dies once and just swap out turret's.

Quote Originally Posted by zuke View Post
    I've been reloading for 30+ year's and went with a new LEE Classic Turret. Set the dies once and just swap out turret's.
    Must be new, I also had to change out the shell holder on my old one. That was the deal breaker.

Banned

i've had a buncha turret presses from the lee classic to the redding t-7. with all, there's turret play to be aware of and recalibrate - not so with any single stage. the lee locking breech locks make reloading s/s style so much faster and easier, at least for me. ymmv.