Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: absolutely nuts

Banned

absolutely nuts

went to the grocery store and they had pork loins for 225 a lb. I bought 30 lbs! Hamburger was 5 bucks a lb and bacon was 6 bucks. Its nuts that you can buy pork tenderloin for half the price of burger or almost a 1/3 the price of the crappiest cut of meat on a hog. What sounds better to you tendloin on the grill or basically fat with the other two choises.

Boolit Master
    My family has been eating Pork Chops and tenderloins too...........simply cheaper than the other alternative meats and good eating too.

Boolit Bub
    Sounds crazy, but true and tasty! Lean hamburger is $6.00 at Wallyworld, good pork is half the price and tastes great. They even have ground pork, that would be close to a real ''ham'' burger. Take care, John.
    NRA life member.
    It's not what you do, it's how you do what you do, that counts.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skills!

Moderator Emeritus

Have to watch those whole bagged loins... look for "solution added" etc. When the ones without all the salt water go on sale I grab 3-4 and cut chops, thin pieces for sandwiches(cook it up like country fried steak), smaller roasts... vacuum bag it and into the deep freeze.

Boolit Master

We eat a lot of chicken. Wife did get a pork loin today. Hope to have all of this work [building] done by fall so I can hit the woods for some real meat.

Larry

Boolit Grand Master

I soak a pork loin over night in brown sugar, water, and pepper. get up the next morning and build a low fire in the smoker. Pour the marinade in the water pan set the loin on the rack covered in sliced apple and some wet wood chips hold around 200*-225* for 6 hours or so. The marinade provides the moisture keeping it nice and juicy. the smoke and apples add a very nice mild flavor to it. along side it later in the day are some apples cut in half and cored filled with honey cinamon butter mixed well and smoked. A veggie and or potatoes with it and you have a great meal.

Banned

marinated one Seasoned with garlic powder onion powder and montreal steak seasoning for a day then in a jack Daniels marinade bag my kid gave me for another day. then threw it on the grill last night. They can keep there 5 dollar a lb hamburg!!!!!!!!!

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Beef is waaay too high ! The market we shop has a bargain bin in the meat section . I get there about 7 am when they are restocking , they always have an excess on the meat on sale 40% off . So we have managed to keep steak and roast in the freezer but that will end at some point , half the roasts they are cutting are what we use to call a nice steak , lol . We still like pork so............

Boolit Buddy

We have started buying pork loins also and slicing them into steaks or chops. Cheaper than pork chops and not paying for the bone to boot ! We only buy hamburger when wife wants to mix some in with the ground venison.

In Remembrance

With the bird flu it sounds as if we will have a short supply of turkey and chicken soon.

Moderator Emeritus

Beef will stay high for a while. As a neighbor who calves 350 explains it: the midwest went overboard on corn when there were ethanol benefits. Corn producers still have a surplus and are paying a premium price for beef the most effective way to turn the corn into $$. $3.50 a lb and up will be the next contract price for steers. Considering that not too many years ago they were happy with $1.15 and 85 cents for canners things are looking up for cattle breeders. It also makes it a tough time to get back into the industry with the drought sell of that happened 3 years back.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

I buy beef buy the quarter direct from the farm so I get a nice price, it was $3.25 cut/wrapped/delivered to my front door this year. So I eat lots of beef... I need to make freezer space for a turkey before prices spike.

Boolit Buddy
    I just grind up some deer meat. Had a good year.
    You know, there's an old saying, Miss Sally. There's no law west of the Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chism? James Pepper

Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there. John Simpson Chism

Banned

I usually have enough venison to make it through the year myself. this is the first year ive had to buy any quanity of burger or steak in many years. Crop damage deer shooting was poor this year and we only got about a 1/3 of what we normally do. bad enough that I have to eat that crappy store bought beef burger but when the charge what a good t bone should cost for a hamburger that just disgusts me.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunshot98 View Post
    I just grind up some deer meat. Had a good year.

dang your price on loin is high been seeing last several months for $1.88 and a few times a bit cheaper , i dont care for pork but ... i care less for the empty feeling in my stomach lolz add that to the price and i've ate more pork this year alone than in the last 10 combined ( still aint me fav but ... lolz )

for sheer simplicity and awesomeness try peppered pork loin , no other spices or fancy stuff needed , just slice into chops/steaks ( thick or thin doesnt matter ) cover liberally with fresh ground pepper and fry until done, i dont cook it hot but i do cook it done , moist,tender and Delicious ! i'll fry up a whole one ( i try to buy the big ones for this ) freeze it after it's cooked and a quick sandwich,breakfast steak,main course is just a warm up away ...there's prolly a few in me freezer now just waiting for the right time ( ermm and whole frozen ones as well lolz )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Grand Master
    I have about 24# of pork loin in the freezer. Pork: economical great eats!!
    Beef is a treat. They had ball tips @ 2 for $8. I bought four.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I've been buying pork loins at $1.88/lb at Sam's and chicken drums and thighs when they are on sale.
    I cut chops and make Canadian bacon (recipes are online) from the loins, freeze most of the chicken.
    Gun control is not about guns.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Moderator Emeritus

Those hormel salt soaked flavor things... pass...

Boolit Master

Down here, pork loin going for $1.79/lb, boneless/skinless chicken breast for $1.99/lb., ground chuck for $3.24/lb. Guess what we are eating more of? Cooking a pork loin roast tomorrow with potatoes and carrots. Probably a slow cooker roast with plenty of rosemary, onion, garlic, and a lot of seasoning. I roll with the punch, need to grind and make some pork sausage with the roasts I have in the freezer.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.