RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Lee cast IRON hand press??

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

Lee cast IRON hand press??

I guess I haven't been keeping up on things like I should...........

I was browsing the reloading stuff on Ebone (just for laughs) and found two Lee hand presses being advertised as "cast iron". I chuckled at the seller's lack of accuracy until I did an internet search and found several sellers, including Walmart, advertising the "Lee cast iron hand press"!

Has Lee actually branched away from the aluminum alloy and started using cast iron.....or are there a lot of people making a serious advertising error? If the press IS cast iron, I might just have to buy one to keep my aluminum Lee company...........

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Only way to know for sure is to check Lee's website.

Banned

No, the hand press is aluminium. A cast iron hand press would heavy, too heavy.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    No, the hand press is aluminium. A cast iron hand press would heavy, too heavy.
    As I thought! It surprised me that so many retailers would make such a mistake in their advertising!

They do make the classic cast single stage press but not a hand press in cast.
    Okie

We have a saying in our house: No pity for self inflicted wounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Okie73 View Post
    They do make the classic cast single stage press but not a hand press in cast.
    Yep beats the crappy aluminum press which I have and is getting worn out.

Boolit Master

Nevertheless, I've found at least five retailers.......some of them major......who are advertising the hand press as "cast iron". I actually got a little excited as I always wanted one made of cast bronze for durability. Thought maybe Lee had taken a step in that direction, but I guess not........

Boolit Grand Master

They are prolly talking about a different Lee press; "Classic Cast". It's hand operated so it's a "hand press". A non-reloader/shooter selling something they know nothing about ...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    They are prolly talking about a different Lee press; "Classic Cast". It's hand operated so it's a "hand press". A non-reloader/shooter selling something they know nothing about ...
    I think this is the answer as to why the "cast iron" in the advertising. The cast iron O press Lee makes is a hand operated loading press. As opposed to being steam or water wheel operated I guess.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-...+reloading+kit

Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Precisio...item51caa0dd81

Ebay again: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Precisio...item51caa0dd81

Clearly shows the hand press as being made of cast iron. It might seem trivial, but what if some fool (like me) was looking for a durable CAST IRON tool? I'd be pretty upset when it arrived and start using terms like "false advertising".

Actually, I've wished for years that Lee would make it out of bronze...heavier, sure, but two lifetimes worth of use!
    Last edited by 3006guns; 03-25-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    The Lee aluminum presses are aluminum die castings - Probably A356 aluminum alloy. That is the standard alloy for aluminum die castings. The die casting process probably produces an aluminum part in about 10 to 15 seconds. That is why they are so cheap. In fact the Lee die castings are probably only $3 or $4 of the cost of the product. The rest is machining, painting,boxing and shipping. Lee gets some profit by marking up his products. Everyone else in the supply chain tacks on their profit too.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Notice the Amazon and the 2 ebay pics are identical? One ignorant vendor aping another...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    It is called 'hand loading' is it not.

Boolit Master
    Some people who are not reloaders think all manually operated loading presses are "hand presses".

Boolit Master
    Same as:

All full auto firearms are "Machine Guns"
    All Handguns are "Pistols"
    Silencers make all fireams sound like "Red Rider" BB guns.
    Anyone who owns a firearm is a "Gun Nut" and need mental help.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Bub
    This just proves Ron White is correct, ''You can't fix stupid.'' I know these presses are made of cast aluminum, but can you really wear one out so as to be un-useable? I think that would be more ammo than I could shoot up, in my lifetime, of course I'm already 72. Take care, John.
    NRA life member.
    It's not what you do, it's how you do what you do, that counts.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skills!

Quote Originally Posted by glockmeister View Post
    This just proves Ron White is correct, ''You can't fix stupid.'' I know these presses are made of cast aluminum, but can you really wear one out so as to be un-useable? I think that would be more ammo than I could shoot up, in my lifetime, of course I'm already 72. Take care, John.
    I think you would have monster thighs, abs and arms by the time you wore one out.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I'm "old" so I'm looking at this in an "old way" . . .

While we still manufacture items in this country . . . look at how much has been "our sourced" overseas (as in China, Mexico, etc.). I taught a "shop" a few years before starting my own custom millwork/cabinet shop - in today's world - "shop" in school - where many students were (or were supposed to be) exposed to manufacturing processes, materials, etc. no longer exist. If you were to put identical size samples of aluminum, bronze, cast iron, steel, etc. out on a table and ask the average person to identify them - I'm guessing most couldn't - nor would they be smart enough to know how to use a magnet to test and eliminate certain materials, etc.

Those who "sell" the products you mention (Wally World, etc.) SHOULD know their product - but take a look at their backgrounds. . . .

I have sold/bought on flea bay, etc. for years and it never ceases to amaze me how "un-informed" or "ignorant" some folks can be in their descriptions . . . and if they don't know, they are either not concerned about "getting it right" or too lazy to do a little research to find out about what they are selling.

As far as "copying" other's pictures, descriptions, etc. . . . I don't agree with someone doing it but let's take a look at the way our educational system has evolved . . . today's kids no longer see anything wrong about copying and compiling information from the internet and then turning it in for a "research" paper and claiming it is "their work" - they don't know what "plagiarism" is and most can't even spell it.

As the old saying goes and has been already stated . . "you can't fix stupid" so it's just a reminder to us all to do our own research and "buyer beware".

I am of the age where I grew up with "cast iron" and a product would last a lifetime. In fact, I'd rather pay a little more for a cast iron product that would "last" than have to buy a product that will eventually wear out due to cheaper materials and production costs. But then we live in a "throw away society" and let's face it . . who darns their socks anymore?

I'm not knocking Lee or any other manufacturer . . in fact I use quite a few Lee products. But when it comes to presses . . . I'll stick with my old RCBS 1960s Jr3 that's cast iron and with will last through my lifetime and probably several more3 generations. But then . . . "I'm old".