Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: noe 30/30 advice

Boolit Master

noe 30/30 advice

im looking for some advice for a mold for marlin 33/30 .

im looking at the noe ranch dog 311165 GR RF RG2 GC in brass

what can you tell me about this boolit? is it a good choice ? which handles do I need?
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

I had the Lee version, regular lube grooves 3x PB, 3x GC. It shot well (GC version) but seating depth was tricky in my pre-remlin MG 336. Had to use a brass rod to unload a round on my only deer hunt. IMHO it needs a small step at the ogive and needed to be seated deep to feed. I accidentally bored a 4" long hole lengthwise in a 2x4 @ 50 with one! Would have kept going but the board split, boolit ended in the berm. Don't have an 041 mould but I think it solves the problem, is reportedly a good shooter. It does have the massive meplat. Look at some of the Accurate moulds. Nothing against NOE but Accurate will make what you need.
    Carolina bullets was selling cast RD to try.
    Whatever!

Good choice! My NOE RD 311-165 RG2 is on the way! I'm sure that any of the Lyman LG handles, RCBS, Lee 6 Cav or NOE handles will work. I've only used the RCBS and Lee 6 Cav on my other NOE molds, though.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    You can't go wrong with that NOE. It is the perfect 30-30 boolit.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies. Now to start sticking some cash back.and reading up on brass dies.
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master
    You really need to make an impact cast of your throat to see it that bullet would fit first.

Banned

if you can, get a set of handles from NOE too! they are superb.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KLR View Post
    You really need to make an impact cast of your throat to see it that bullet would fit first.

Can you elaborate on that sum.what is it about that boolit that would make you to beleave it might not fit.?

i sluged the barrel it sluged out to .308

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rl69 View Post
    Can you elaborate on that sum.what is it about that boolit that would make you to beleave it might not fit.?

i sluged the barrel it sluged out to .308
    If your throat is short and the rifling starts abruptly then the nose of the bullet might engrave heavily before the round chambers. The RD 311165 mold I use casts a .305 nose that won't work with my short-throated Winchester 94. I've read reports that some Marlins have the same short throat problem. So fill a case with lead, put a soft lead slug on top, tamp it down firmly with a steel rod, and see what you have.

For those not in know. The current version sold by NOE is different spec and not the same as the original, Michael made an adjustment for this bullet so it could now be sized to .309 without sizing the ogive.

Banned

The new design RD 165 should work with Winchester 94s and newer Marlins.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    For those not in know. The current version sold by NOE is different spec and not the same as the original, Michael made an adjustment for this bullet so it could now be sized to .309 without sizing the ogive.
    Isn't there 3 different versions now? Take your pick!

Boolit Grand Master

Have a six banger from original Ranch Dog, in both GC and Plain Base. Great blt! Shoots well in all of my 30's. A friend in Colorado that I casts for reports remarkable accuracy with tha bullet at 100 yds in two of his 30-40 Krags.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

I sure hope it's a good one and shoots in my marlin because My NOE RD 311-165 RG2 is on the way too.

Boolit Master
    Yes, there are three of these RD designs currently in the NOE catalog. The one I used was the latest design with regular lube grooves. The mold was purchased new in 8/2014.

RD also designed another bullet for those rifles like mine with short throats and no leade:

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....g4816.html#new

Given the ease of making a throat impact cast, I wouldn't buy a nice NOE mold without knowing what would fit my rifle.

Boolit Master
    One word...311041

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    if you can, get a set of handles from NOE too! they are superb.
    Agree best for the money!

Boolit Buddy
    I have that mold in aluminum that you are talking about. 1949 Marlin 336 30/30, that boolit, and 10gr unique on a sunny, calm day...oh man....doesn't get much better....

Dan

Boolit Master
    I got the NOE mould and am very pleased with the quality. But I'm having trouble casting with it. I've had 3 sessions with it and to say we are not getting along is a understatement. Half way through today's session I turned off my bottom pure and went to the ladle it helped.

the trouble is with me not the mould. Controlling the heat in the brass and the steel HP pins is interesting to say the least

I did get to load 5 rounds. At 50 YD I shot a 7/8 of a inch group out of my 336 marlin. I'm thinking I might be able to get sub MOA out of this boolit. Well that my be pushing it but one can dream

All in all I very pleased with this mould I just need more time to figure out my heat

<(*)(()><

I found that mine likes to be run hot, hot enough to partially to fully frost the boolit. I also found that it likes to take it's time to "set" in the mold and I wait 10 seconds now after cutting the sprue, before opening it. My problem was with the bottom ring just above the gas check shank. It would fill out fine but be partially ripped off during de-molding when I didn't wait long enough to open it. That ring has to be only about 1/64" thick and is so fragile. What frustration! I'm still getting over 50% rejects! Without that ring it would be so easy....

Anyone else experience this problem with this mold?
    Last edited by Yodogsandman; 05-25-2015 at 09:48 PM.