Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Choices for Single Stage press!

Choices for Single Stage press!

Ok guys haven't had to ask a question like this in a while. I am getting the stuff ready to reload precision rifle rounds, I need to pick up a good Single Stage press. Been doing research and decided to try and keep it under $200 so here are the choices Redding Big Boss (right at limit of budget), RCBS Rockchucker (middle of Budget) and the Lee Classic Cast (lower end of the Budget). I like some of the features on all the presses but am only going to buy one! Opinions needed, reasons too! Not just I have one that's why!! Thanks!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Master

The Lee is a great value and leaves money left over for accessories
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    The Lee is a great value and leaves money left over for accessories
    This is my answer too.
    Cats are fun and magical when you can't smell their poop! Fresh Step!

JPFO; NCOWS; NRA (Life); NYSRPA (Life); SAF, SASS

I'm looking for a shooter grade Smith & Wesson Victory model in .38 Special.

Boolit Buddy
    I third. Primer handling is awesome. The safety prime is wonderfull once adjusted.

The Lee dumping primers through the ram is a nice feature. Don't know about the others but LCC bushing can be unscrewed and replaced with Hornady quick change bushing sleeve if you wanted to go that route.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    In a single stage press, all i own or have ever owned.... Was rcbs. Why? Ask about their warranty. The color is easy on the eyes. Red looks angry.

Banned

+ 3 Lee Precision Classic Cast

Here are my 3 rules on buying presses

1) it must be green (RCBS)
    2) it must be made before 1976
    3) wont pay over $50 for it.

The pre 76 RCBS presses are better made than any one since. Ive got two, and wont ever need a third
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Here's another vote for the Lee Classic Cast!

This is why I started to look at other presses!! I tried to find a decent used SS press for decent money and have had no luck!! Or people just wanted to much for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    Here are my 3 rules on buying presses

1) it must be green (RCBS)
    2) it must be made before 1976
    3) wont pay over $50 for it.

The pre 76 RCBS presses are better made than any one since. Ive got two, and wont ever need a third
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Boolit Grand Master

Yep,,,,, LEE Classic Cast. It will do the same job of quality loads, for half the investment.

Classic Cast for me as well...I like the large ram, the spent primer handling and the safety prime attachment that fits on the press...I don't trust the tube primer feeds ... not often a problem but when they do have issues it's usually a big one. The Classic Cast works for every cartridge I load and I like the breech lock adapters..a little pricy but handy as a pocket in a shirt.

Boolit Master
    The Lee classic cast is indeed a great press, one sits on my bench right now.

However if I was going to reload rifle cartridges for a super accurate rifle my vote would go to a press you haven't mention:

Bonanza Co-Ax.

it to drops dead primers thruogh the ram into a collection pod, plus the dies float will sizing. I had one of these years ago and sold it when thinning out the herd of press's I had picked up over the years.

Check around for one before you spend your money and have a look at one.

Bottom line buy the Lee if you can't find one but the Co-Ax is better for what you want to do.

Boolit Buddy
    Wait it out and buy a Forster. Money well spent.

Boolit Master

I would say Lee Classic Cast. I have one and use it for pistol. I have a couple RCBS presses and use my RC Supreme for rifle ammo. The Lee would handle all duties without any other press on my bench. It is a very well made press and well thought out. I like the fact you can "choke up" the handle to load pistol or rifle rounds. I keep the handle short for pistol on mine currently. The one rub I have is that the primers sometimes fall out of the primer arm hole when de-priming on the press. I fixed that by bending a sheet of brass (old 45-70 case) into a rectangular "box" and insert into the slot on the ram and it is perfect. Not certain if Lee makes a device for this, but I know I did. I have a piece of clear hut tub tubing with a .45 ACP case jammed into the end for my spent primer disposal. I just snap it on and off the "nipple" on the ram for emptying. Works perfect. The RCBS otoh has a problem with spewing primers anywhere it feels like. Most of them end up in the tray, but some do not.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy

The Lee is a great press and they have good customer service. I keep mine set up for sizing.
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

I prefer my rcbs rock chucker over a few others that I have used. The end product is still the same no matter what you buy. Enjoy.

I have the Lee classic....the $75 one as there are other Lee's, this was the less expensive one. I bought it as it was less $ than others I looked at. I bought it to reload .375 H&H as it had enough to height to easily accommodate the case and bullet while seating. Great press and had had no issues so far.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree a Co-Ax would prolly be better, but that's outta yer budget (mine too!). So, look at what a press is; just a rod (ram) moving up into a die situated in the frame of the press. As long as the frame doesn't flex and the die/ram are machined in line, it'll produce accurate ammo. If there is enough leverage the task will be easy and less tiresome. Most presses today will meet these requirements quite well so your next choice will be fit and finish. Is one press more "attractive" to you (don't laugh, a big deal), is one sleeker looking or an attractive color? Does one spit out used primers more to your liking than another? (don't bother me either way, as I've reloaded with a 5 gal. pail on the floor to catch wayward primers). Personally, I think a warranty is just a company's way to CYA. The three presses you mentioned will all produce good, safe, accurate ammo if you do your part.

I kinda like green myself...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub
    The Lee Classic Cast, I like the priming system and the opening in the frame is plenty tall. I have 2 rockchuckers but the Lee is mounted on the bench.