RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: School me on powder measures

Boolit Master

School me on powder measures

I feel like I'm missing a major component of reloading gear by not understanding the appeal of multiple powder measures. There was just a thread/survey (can't remember) about how many people have and I was astounded by some of the numbers. I run a Hornady LNL-AP with the case activated powder drop and have a Lyman Gen 6 powder dispenser/measure for throwing individual charges when I'm working up loads or when I feel like being REALLY anal about things.

Are my needs covered with those 2 items and I'm so far into this black hole of reloading and shooting that I'm looking for ways to go deeper? I'm starting to recognize a real problem brewing since the only thing stopping me from buying more Lyman 450/4500's is that Hi-Tek has me wondering if I can replace lubing completely.

Or am I missing a functional purpose to multiple measures that I need to start collecting.

Boolit Master
    I am not much of a measure enthusiast because I load mostly extruded powders in rifle cartridges. The typical rotating drum measure does not do very well on large charges of large grained powder. These measures work really well with ball powders and I do use them for that purpose.
    For smaller charges and small grained extruded powders or ball powders I use the RCBS Little Dandy. The Little Dandy will handle up to 25 grains of some powders.

Some people will make all sorts of superlative claims for some of these measures but they just do not dump stick powders all that well in my experience. I use an AMT/Lyman Autoscale for powders like 4064, 4350 and 4831. The AMT dispenses automatically but has the fool proof feature of a balance beam scale.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    i shoot only pistols and revolvers

and i load 8 calibers, i have a hornady powder measure on all 8 dillon 650 heads.
    each marked with what powder and what charge. all i have to do is make sure of which powder goes in which hopper!

once i loaded a hopper with baby powder ...hey ! it said "powder" on the bottle!

(just kiddn')

Boolit Master
    I accumulate powder measures as souvenirs from gun shows. Typically because they are going for cheap, but sometimes there is some interest in the design or operation. The latter was a Harrell I bought because I wanted to see what they were like, and the other exception was an RCBS Chargemaster I got as a Retirement gift.

I mostly use, and could do just fine with, my Belding & Mull Visible (the first one I ever bought), although it's nice to have another (I use an Ideal #5) for black powder so I don't have to decontaminate when I switch over.

Boolit Master
    I have a 55 for each powder that I use. It makes changeovers sooo much quicker.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several powder measures I use and some that sit more and are "special purpose" to me or just not what I need. I have a small Harrels and a standard size harrels that are great measures and work very well with stick, flake, or ball powders very smooth and or accurate. I dont use Black powder in these but have been considering the Harrels set up for black powder as an addition. I have 2 belding and mull visibles that see duty with short runs and black powder. Accurate and solid easy to use, but 2 hand operation is required. I also have a RCBS uniflow thats been modified with plates to limit end play the micrometer adjust, Housing was ground annd honed, a new drum made and ground to match te housing with less than .001 clearence. A good measure but also alot of work and little gain. One thing that helps with measure consistency is finding one that isnt at upper end or lower end of adjustment. Mid point seems to be most accurate on measures. I have thought about duplicating the belding and mull with a bigger thru hole and dump hole with the appropriate charge assembly, possibly a 1/2" or 5/8" hole in it. All sized accordingly for the bigger charges of black popwder.

Boolit Buddy

I use the Lee disk system for small charges of ball powders. I weigh out charges of extruded/heavier grained powders on a beam or electronic scale.

Boolit Master
    I have quite a few powder measures that allow me to be lazy and consistent at the same time. I learned a long time ago shooting on a state team with a M-14 that variables can kill your score and dedicating a powder measure for just the M-14 helped keep the powder charge weights more even. Since that time I have purchased more measures and set them up for a specific gun and powder charge and the measure has a tag with the powder name and charge weight written on it.

I have also modified my RCBS powder measures with longer handles that allow me to use long extruded powders with less variation in throws.

Boolit Bub
    I have three, a RCBS uniflow with both a large and small drum, a RCBS Little Dandy and the Dillon that came on my RL550. Since I load almost exclusively for pistols, I use the Dillon the most. It seems to be very accurate with the powders that I use, mostly H-110 and 296. I use the Little Dandy for a few calibers that I don't load on the Dillon, because I don't shoot them that often. I use the Uniflow for a couple of Contender rounds like 30 Herrett and 7MM TCU. It seems to be fairly accurate except with extruded powder like IMR 4198, 4064, etc.

1Iron

I like powder measures. I collect them. I think they're really neat. That's why I have as many as I do. I think some other people are the same way. But my collection is useful, too. I can set one measure for one charge and leave it. It's a lot easier that resetting for each load.
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Boolit Grand Master

I've never been interested in collecting powder measures but I do have 3 and over the years I have bought, sold or traded a few others. My Dillon stays mounted on my 550, the RCBS is my daily driver and the Harrells is my go to for accuracy. The Harrells is much smoother than the others but its real advantage is that its adjustment system is very repeatable. It displays more craftsmanship in its design and construction. All of them are about equal in their powder variations despite the differences in construction and cost.

Boolit Master
    I have three different measures:

RCBS ChargeMaster that works very well with ball, stick, or flake powders.
    The same for the JDS QM and I can mount it to the 550.
    Four Dillon measures, each with a different charge bar and each with a knob purchased from Alvarez.

I like the ChargeMaster for working up loads. I use the QM for rifle loads on the 550. A downside to the QM is there is no provision for case expansion. The Dillon gets the majority of pistol stuff.

I've bought six wildcat barrels for the Encore this year so far and two for the 110 action. I really like the QM and ChargeMaster.

take care

r1kk1

I'd say you're well covered.....all they do is drop powder more "conveniently" than using a dipper or spoon.....that's their only job....as far as having one for each powder/caliber/or load is simply a personal preference for not wanting to adjust a measure.....that doesn't bother me a bit, takes maybe 10 minutes out of my busy day, I can spare the time....that said, I do have six, three that are on presses I bought that way, one that WAS on a press I sold, an RCBS Charge Master I bought solely for loading for my hunting rifles with a single stage press and a Lyman 55 simply because the price was right and it's an interesting measure....don't think I've ever used it....the best of them is the Charge Master.....

Boolit Master
    all Powder measure are not alike. originally they were not to measure they were to drop powder. . The loader was then required to trickle the small balance. The current one's rcbs lee , are more designed for Ball powders . If you were to get an old measure . Like lachmiller, herters ( rifle) saeco. Hollywood They have a very large drop opening The fallacy that they can't drop extruded is the fault of the new machines and poor choice by the Buyer.. . my older ones go just fine with extruded as well as ball..Lyman is still the best with it's 3 slids and large opening
    Sal
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

I started reloading in the late 50's with a Hollywood micrometer powder measure and it was the only one I had for decades. Every time I would use, it I would have to readjust it. The micrometer setting would help me get back close every time, but still I would need to do the final bit each time.

The RCBS Little Dandy is a fine system with rotors available for most powder charges close to what I use, but still they are not exact. I have to take what RCBS gives me. I end up loading a little under as I don't want to load a little over.

I still have my Hollywood and my RCBS LD set up, but I also have 7 Lyman 55's for my most used charges of Bullseye, Unique and 2400. These measure are set up for exact charge weights and locked down. The measures are marked with the powder and charge weight. I am tired of adjusting my measure every time I want to load, so I don't anymore.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I too bring home a lot of sovenirs from gun shows. For pistol, I use the measure on the the press; i.e. Lee Pro 1000 or STAR. ( or shotgun) I am not a high volume loader so mostly I use the Belding & Mull. For black powder it is convenient in that you can drop tube your powder after a quick visual inspection. Also,they really go though the big stick powder like 3031, 4895, 6064 and they are very consistant. For match or load work up, it's the B&M. I use a RCBS for any kind of quick loading of rounds. It has micro adjust. I use a L55 a lot but always wind up going back to the RCBS for bigger runs of field grade ammo. It just easier to re-set for me. I have a couple Duplex measures like the Ideal #6. They have there place, but can be double PITA to change up for different rifle. I have gone to "two charging runs" on the B&M for duplex loads.
    The Ideal #5, #6 (and previous models) and the Belding & Mull are all metal construction. Believed to be safer with Black. If you get a L55, be sure it's the newer model with the threaded adjustments. Otherwise it's a #5 painted orange with a plastic hopper. Get a micro-caliper with a depth gage on the end. Learn to use it. It can make re-setting of measures a lot easier and quicker.
    enjoy

Boolit Master
    I think a lot of guys using multiple measures, it's so they can leave it on a toolhead with all the other dies, for turret or progressive loading. Then there are guys that are loading cases on a block, but they don't want to change the settings between different loads. Then there are the accuracy nuts who want multiple measures that are more accurate for different powders/loads. A few people have more demanding needs, like duplex loads, and such.

Me, I load on a SS, and my measure has hot-swappable inserts. My measure throws accurate charges in all my pistol and rifle loads and powders. I have no reason to buy more measures, other than for backup.