Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reloading scales what is your #1 choice ??????

Cool reloading scales what is your #1 choice ??????

I have 3 scales 2 electronic and 1 redding beam scale the electronic ones are lyman and rcbs 1500,out of all of them I like the rcbs 1500 easy too use and set up . the lyman one does not want to settle the numbers are not consistant the new redding one is used to verify my loads . so out of all that what do you guys like and why??????

Boolit Bub
    I haven't sprung for an electronic scale, but I use a RCBS 304 dual beam scale that is very accurate. I have had this scale for over 30 years.

1Iron

Boolit Grand Master

J have a 5-10 rcbs balance scales I use and currently a gem pro 250 digital I like alot. I have used rcbs digital Dillion ( early model with 1500 grn capacity) and a hornady. The 5-10 is always dead on and is quick and easy to set up. A bigger "foot print" though. When checked with rcbs check wieghts it is always on. An occasional spray down with canned air to get dust out ad its always on. The gem pro is a nice little unit reads in 5 diffrent scales and is accurate to .02 grns. Settles quickly and is sensitive enough to trickle into. The RCBS Digital was used with an early charge master and worked well. The Dillion was an early one good for wieghing but to slow for trickling.

Boolit Master
    I have a number of scales that I inherited, was given or wound up with as by-products of trades.
    I have 2 RCBS 5-10s (micrometer poise), a Lyman 500 , RCBS 505 (3 poise), 2 AMT/Lyman Autoscales (same beam as the RCBS 5-10), Dillon 900 grain De-Terminiator electronic scale and a older RCBS 750 grain electronic scale made by Pact.

All of these are pretty good scales though I have definite likes and dislikes as follows.
    My hands are a little shaky to use the RCBS 5-10 micrometer a lot. A few adjustments are ok but to do it a lot is pretty tedious. I dislike the 2 poise set up on the Lyman 500. You can miss set that scale easily if you are not careful. The Autoscales work great for long runs of large grain powders. The 2 digital scales are only used for weighing bullets and cases or setting a powder measure. When I set a powder measure I dispense 10 loads into a pan and weigh them and divide by 10 for the average. I found the electronic is worse than worthless when trying to trickle a load up to the finished weight. The digitals that I have are not sensitive enough to reacts to individual grains of powder. My favorite scales are the 3 poise types like the RCBS 505. For me they are easy to set without a tendency to make a mistake.
    I forgot I had 2 Lee scales. I broke one messing around with it. The other is still in the box. They are too slow to settle for me- the dampening is too weak. Cheap magnets I would guess.
    EDG

Boolit Master

RCBS electronic chargemaster and a Lyman 1000 beam scale.

Boolit Buddy
    Been using a PACT since they came out.
    See no reason to change-
    LG
    Hav'n you along-Is like lose'n 2 good men

Boolit Master
    I am a long time user of the RCBS chargemaster, Lyman D5 and the Lee saftey scale. They all work well.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

thanks for the read guys

Boolit Man
    In order of preference;
    RCBS 5-10: A joy to use, settles almost instantly. Micrometer poise.
    Redding oil dampened(#1?): Small footprint, easy to set. I stop the pan swinging with my finger, I'm not in that much of a rush. 2 poise (like a 505)
    Bonanza plastic beam scale: Uses a square plastic fan with 3 pour spouts. So sensitive you have to hold your breath. 2 poise (like a 505)
    Lee Safety scale: Wow sensitive. Accurate. Fiddly; I had problems with it seating properly in the knife grooves. Vernier poise.
    Hornady GS-1500: Digital, junk. Zero drifts, weight drifts, I don't trust it for anything critical.

Banned

Gem Pro 250

Boolit Mold
    RCBS 505 is all I use works well I bought a SmartReloader I scale digital scale and don't like it never use it.

Rcbs 505

Boolit Bub
    ohaus 1005/lyman m5. yeah I'm w way out of date. never seen gravity fail yet. best wishes to all.

Boolit Master
    Redding beam scale bought new in 1962. Brown crinkly paint. It has been well cared for and gravity never changes, so I always have confidence in my charge.
    Price printed on label shows $14.99.

Redding beam scale bought in the early 90's.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Boolit Master

Been using a RCBS 505 since 1978 and always been happy. I can't say I haven't wondered from time to time If I'm missing out on something hence following threads such as this.
    jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    Redding scale I bought in the mid sixties. See no need for anything else. Bought a RCBS 502 at a yard sale and used it to compare accuracy with the Redding. They were .1 grain of agreeing with each other.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Master
    Have a RCBS 10-10 from the 1980's, two older RCBS 505's, a older Quick Draw from Midway (Ohaus) and a new Hornady Bench Scale, all of these work great.

Scales I have got rid of is a Lyman 1000.
    I have a AWS scale I got of flea bay worked ok for 6 months then went dead I sent it off for warrantee on the first of Feb this year and might get back by the end of May, when it comes back it will go back on flea bay.

I have an RCBS beam scale bought in the 70's & it is still serving me well! A few years back I bought a Frankford Arsenal small digital scale from Midway on sale for under $20. Handy as all get-out but I don't use it for powder. Here is my simple rule of thumb:

• To bring something up to a specific weight (like powder) use the beam scale.
    • To find out what something weights (like bullets) use the electronic.

FWIW...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
    I have an RCBS beam scale bought in the 70's & it is still serving me well! A few years back I bought a Frankford Arsenal small digital scale from Midway on sale for under $20. Handy as all get-out but I don't use it for powder. Here is my simple rule of thumb:

• To bring something up to a specific weight (like powder) use the beam scale.
    • To find out what something weights (like bullets) use the electronic.

FWIW...

These are good reasons to have both types of scales, I tend to check the electronic scales with a beam scale just to be sure of the powder charge.