Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Another 1050 vs 650 thread

Boolit Master
    I also quit using one shot because I would get stuck 223 cases. Maybe I'll try DCL for pistol next time.

Boolit Master

Never had a problem with One Shot in many, many years.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    with the CAN$ low level and 5-600$ shipping from dillon, + the duty I expect to pay, I'll just order from gardner in canada..... same price, less trouble I guess. Was probably better from dillon when the $ was even.

Boolit Buddy
    I had issues with one shot.

Worked great if you applied it and let dry 5 mins. If you attempted to size before dry or the next day it caused issues.

I recently switched to dillon lube. Much better.
    Some post on here recommended placing brass in a gallon bag to apply lube. First time may take 5 squirts but after that two. Some of the lanolin in the bag is rethinned when the two squirts are added making it go much further.

Roll the bag over several times and pour out to dry. I have been looking for the perfect thing to pour out on, a shoe box or bankers box sounds perfect jmorris

Boolit Grand Master

I have been reading good things about this http://www.sharpshootr.com/royal-case-die-lube/. Anyone try it yet?

Sharp Shoot R™ Precision Products® announces new for 2012 Royal Case & Die Lube” ™”

A product specific for lubrication , resizing and case forming. This new product is an answer to easy and clean application of a case lubricants. This exciting new product is easier to use with no messy clean-up.. It has no complicated method of application.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-09-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Banned

I was also going to try it. I generally like the Sharp Shooter Products I have purchased, Wipe Out, Patch Out, No Sweat Shotgun, etc.

Boolit Grand Master

Back to the Hornady One Shot. I am not sure why some have issues with it and some don't. I have used a lot with zero issues. Early on I noted that if you didn't shake it well you just sprayed carrier and very little lube? Every rifle die I have has a carbide expander and I currently have solid carbide in 223, 308 & 45/70 but don't have issues with it in my steel dies either.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Back to the Hornady One Shot. I am not sure why some have issues with it and some don't. I have used a lot with zero issues. Early on I noted that if you didn't shake it well you just sprayed carrier and very little lube? Every rifle die I have has a carbide expander and I currently have solid carbide in 223, 308 & 45/70 but don't have issues with it in my steel dies either.

One needs to shake the can good and use a light film/spray - if it's just a tish wet when you resize - it'll cause you problems. One Shot Cleaner is extremely good but I gave up on One Shot Lube and went back to using Imperial Wax - never ever had a problem with that puppy.

I assume when your talking carbide in 223 & 308 you're talking Carbide button on the depriming rod? just makes resizing the neck easier; the die is steel - correct? The 45/70 being straight wall - ya carbide all the way. I use the carbide button from Redding on 223, 308 and 30/06 - lube every 6th neck and sizing those necks is as smooth as butter.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ole 5 hole group View Post
    I assume when your talking carbide in 223 & 308 you're talking Carbide button on the depriming rod? just makes resizing the neck easier; the die is steel - correct? The 45/70 being straight wall - ya carbide all the way. I use the carbide button from Redding on 223, 308 and 30/06 - lube every 6th neck and sizing those necks is as smooth as butter.

Yes & no, I am referring to using carbide buttons http://redding-reloading.com/online-...ze-button-kits on all my dies unless it is a Redding type S neck bushing die http://redding-reloading.com/online-...-neck-bushings than none are used. With the carbide button you don't need to lube the inside of the neck but as you noted a little lube smooth's things out.

My 223, 308 and 45/70 are solid carbide. http://www.dillonprecision.com/conte...hree_Die_Sets_ Dillon only made the solid carbide 45/70 for a short time period.

You still need lube but the Dillon Carbide Rifle Dies wear a lot longer than a steel die. The 45/70 is a tapered case so the carbide ring type dies used for straight wall pistols will not work with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4570.jpg  
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 04-09-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

The only time I have ever had a problem with Hornady One Shot was when I did not use enough
    I size mostly rifle cartridges on a 650
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I don't know why one shot sometimes gives me trouble.

If I spray, shake, and start right away, it works fine.
    Once they are really dry, like the next day, it's so gummed up that it takes everything to size even 9mm brass. Works better with nothing on.

RCBS lube on the lube pad works extremely well and I get sumer smooth sizing. That,s why I plan to use a 223 lube die. No mess in the case feeder, but good lube to size.

As for 9mm, I'll just use dillon case lube sprayed...

Boolit Master
    I'm ordering the 650 btw. 1050 too expensive and I don't want to deal with changing calibers on it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I have been reading good things about this http://www.sharpshootr.com/royal-case-die-lube/. Anyone try it yet?

Sharp Shoot R™ Precision Products® announces new for 2012 Royal Case & Die Lube” ™”

A product specific for lubrication , resizing and case forming. This new product is an answer to easy and clean application of a case lubricants. This exciting new product is easier to use with no messy clean-up.. It has no complicated method of application.
    I am currently trying it out do some case forming. Give me some time, I have some 405 Winchester to neck down to various cases as well as 30-30 necked down to 25 caliber.

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    no progressive press is as good as a 1050, period. If you can afford it, you will never regret it. The price of a 1050 and caliber changes is virtually nothing compared to the cost of the components that it will use.

A bonus that all Dillon equipment has is the resale value, they do not depreciate much.

Banned

650 is a great press. A 1050 is a fantastic press. If you can afford it its a no brainer

Boolit Buddy
    The only people that have a problem with changing a 1050 are people that haven't done it or own 650's

Boolit Master
    you are now making me want a 1050..... I hate you guys

But it's like 1500$ more than a 650 here... jesus. It makes absolutely no logic.

Boolit Buddy
    I ran a 650 for years. Picked up an older RL1050. It blew the 650 away. Since that I've bought a Super 1050, sold the 650 the RL1050. The RL is a great press but I can only load up to 223. If I had the money I would have kept the RL1050 and just used it for pistol calibers. But as the wife told me, "If you had the money you wouldn't be reloading in the first place."

Another note, I still have my 550. It's a different beast than the 650/1050.

Boolit Master
    So far it has cost me more to reload than what i have saved.

Boolit Grand Master
    actually, with a little bit of modifications to the press, you can load up to 308 length ammo with the 1050. Did load 1000's of 308 ball eq. with mine. You are limited to 165gr bullets or lighter though, things are that close.