Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45-70 Versus 225# Boar

Boolit Grand Master

Super
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

That's a great score for your wife and a great post from you. Thanks for sharing!

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Few reloading projects can offer less chance of going wrong than a 405gr. .45-70. You did right not to stretch the technology to the limit, especially for someone possibly not inured to recoil. 1200ft./sec. should make the best of powder coating, and in those conditions, where trajectory doesn't matter but a very rapid second shot might, should be effective against anything in the Americas or Europe.

The only firearm I every really disliked firing (and there were others with more of a reputation for it), was a light .45-70 carbine, loaded up to the limit.

Boolit Buddy
    Your beautiful wife, together with you in the woods, wearing camouflage, holding a lever action 45/70, next to a dead pig she just shot, on her first hunt, with boolits and ammo you hand made, has got to be right up there for ya eh.....?

Pretty cool!

Dan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NLS1 View Post
    Your beautiful wife, together with you in the woods, wearing camouflage, holding a lever action 45/70, next to a dead pig she just shot, on her first hunt, with boolits and ammo you hand made, has got to be right up there for ya eh.....?

Pretty cool!

Dan
    Well said my friend..... what was also pretty neat is that she was wearing my oldest sons pants, my other sons Boots & Socks, My shirt, Our daughters hat & hair tie. She had a little piece of all of us.

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats x3!

Boolit Master
    Great hunt great cal. great memories! Well DONE!

Boolit Grand Master

Yes this pig Yielded me 70 pounds of really nice clean Pork. Vacuum sealed and in the freezer along side a **** load of Venison...BIGRED

Glad to hear it. The quality of a hog's meat is directly related to it's diet. I had a 200+ boar last year that didn't pass the sniff test but I've eaten bigger boars and they were good. Years ago I had a huge hog processed, even the spiciest sausage mix couldn't make him edible. Shot a big sow a few months ago, smelled better than grocery store pork.

Glad your wife's first hog was a good one, any tusks? Couldn't tell from the pics.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    FWIW, I've used the same load with plain flat base bullets. No need to gas heck or powder coat. Non sized tumble- lubed work just fine. But, those are some "purty" boolits!
    btw, that ain't zombie green, that's BRITISH RACING GREEN!
    Racey boolits, pig hunt'r, too!

Boolit Bub
    Ammohead, I'm from FL originally, and if Bigred doesn't mind I'll answer your question. There are both scenarios you mentioned. Most of the public land hog hunting is during deer season, with a few exceptions. Private property is year round, no license required.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Yes this pig Yielded me 70 pounds of really nice clean Pork. Vacuum sealed and in the freezer along side a **** load of Venison...BIGRED

Glad to hear it. The quality of a hog's meat is directly related to it's diet. I had a 200+ boar last year that didn't pass the sniff test but I've eaten bigger boars and they were good. Years ago I had a huge hog processed, even the spiciest sausage mix couldn't make him edible. Shot a big sow a few months ago, smelled better than grocery store pork.

Glad your wife's first hog was a good one, any tusks? Couldn't tell from the pics.

yes it had some good teeth on him. The Left side Cutter was snapped off about an inch above the jaw. The wetters were both around 2.5" outside. the right cutter was about 3" and really thick around. The 1st thing i noticed when it came outta the woods was the "lip curl" and the big mango's sticking out his back side.... Typical Boar.

Boolit Grand Master

It's a shame how many big boars have broken teeth. Last one I took to the taxidermist for a shoulder mount had really good teeth but he stole them, did a Euro mount for himself and put plastic teeth in my mount. He put the Euro mount in his display case, thought I wouldn't notice. Still think I should have whipped his butt for that decided against it. Figured I'd have to shoot his dog (100 lb pit) first and I liked the dog.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

OK, I read every post here just to make sure someone didn't ask first. You've been married 20 years..... Did you propose when you were both 12?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    OK, I read every post here just to make sure someone didn't ask first. You've been married 20 years..... Did you propose when you were both 12?
    That is some serious Flattery.... I turn 42 on Saturday and my Bride is 15 months older than me.

Boolit Master

I reserve judgement on you, but your wife don't look 43. More like 33.