Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Rem Model 514

Rem Model 514

The very first rifle I ever bought with my own money was a Remington M514, single shot .22. I bought it brand new some 55 years ago and still have it. It accounted for so many squirrels, possums, etc, I'd never be able to count them. It was not a target rifle but was very accurate. The trigger was the bolt release so a nice trigger pull was out of the question. It was easy to clean and care for though it does show a bit of wear. Mine still has a shiny bore. I made the mistake (never again but I was a kid back then) of letting a "friend" take it into the woods with a couple of his friends. It bears a couple of noticeable dings from that mistake. A few years back I saw three of them my regular gun store. They were in "unfortunate" condition and had obviously not been taken care of as had mine. The price on them was $140 or $150, can't recall which. I paid $21 including tax for my brand new one those many years ago. I have no intention whatsoever of letting mine go; we're partners to the end.

I'd like to hear from those of you who have owned/shot/sold/shouldered/etc, this great beginners rifle. It is a man size rifle, not a youth's toy. Just curious, but anyone know the value of used ones nowadays?
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 514 that I bought quite used in about 1991 for $35. It had some light rust spots but a good bore and wood. Like yours, it's quite accurate. Right after I got it, the bolt came off. I had it soldered back on. Never another problem. Good old shooter. Killed a lot of Ground Squirrels with it. There are often 514 discussions going on @ Rimfire Central.

I would think that $150 should buy a nice one. Rem re-used the 514 number for a new offering, so be aware of that.

My 514 was my first real gun. Manufactured in 1952, it belonged to my oldest brother. He gifted it to me for Xmas when I was approx. 10, I'm guessing 1966 or so. I still have it, and it's still one of my favorites and best shooters. Last year I stripped and refinished the stock, and it looks 1000% better! Now I need to have all the metal reblued, but that's a pricey project that has to wait. Love that rifle though.

Boolit Master

Rem. 514 was my first gun, Christmas present in 1953 when 10 yrs. old. Put lots of ground-hogs on the supper table with that gun.

Larry

Boolit Master
    Get mine with "Green Stamps" . Got it at age 12 I have it and i am 59.......Not bad for a "Green Stamp" gun. Oh yes no FFL shipped via UPS. Differant era ! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	135575
    Last edited by Shooter6br; 03-31-2015 at 04:51 PM.

It's great to hear from others who grew up with and treasured that model. Mine still looks okay but been thinking that a stock refinish and a new barrel finish blue/brown/black/etc, would make it look really good.

Boolit Master

Great guns, I just cleaned one that is being used at our local Boy Scout Camp
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    Rem. 514 was my first gun, Christmas present in 1953 when 10 yrs. old. Put lots of ground-hogs on the supper table with that gun.

Larry
    Well old timer, we got the same thing for Christmas in 1953 but I was only 9 yrs. old. (It's always nice to find someone older than me )

Boolit Master
    Got mine used for 12 bucks around 1962 or 63.
    Mine wasn't very accurate, it was the rifle not me since I had no problem with other .22 rifles at the time.
    The barrel threads weren't a tight fit, which was likely the cause of poor accuracy.

I always liked the simplicity of the design.

Boolit Master
    got mine for Christmas in 62. it has accounted for groundhogs crows and other vermin, also many tincans and bottles. got my marksmanship merit badge with it. they also made a 514p which had a peep sight. there was one with a smooth bore for shot. I used one at scout camp to shoot skeet. the 514 was also used for the arcade games where you shoot at the animals with a beam of light.

I guess I'm old fashioned but I really do miss those Remington "torpedo" bolt receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanshi View Post
    It's great to hear from others who grew up with and treasured that model. Mine still looks okay but been thinking that a stock refinish and a new barrel finish blue/brown/black/etc, would make it look really good.
    I refinished mine, and was pleased to find a nice piece of wood under that 60+ year old brown paint/stain/whatever-it-was. I used Fairtrimmers Military oX and Pure Tung Oil on it, much better now!

I will get around to having all the metal reblued, I swear! Just can't afford to right now.

Vendor Sponsor

I got mine in 1962 for my 13th Bday. It cost $15. My Mother bought me a sling to go with it for Christmas a month later, and by the time the gunsmith got done it was $20 so I had a $20 sling on a $15 rifle.

I traded the gun to a sporting goods store in town for a Mauser .22 which was $50. I got $15 in trade in value.

I bought the gun back at a local gun show 10 years later and you ask "how did I know it was my gun?" It still had a $20 sling on it!

It is the only Rem 514 with a $20 sling. I bought it back for $15!

It is currently in a gun safe in my garage. It still has the $20 sling.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I have one the letters on the barrel put at around 1946. My Grandson shoots it now and then.