Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Old S&W 22 back to life.

Boolit Grand Master

Old S&W 22 back to life.

When this pistol came to me it was in sad shape. Deep rust speckling, finish was almost gone, hardly any checkering left, and somebody had whittled off the thumbrest on the left grip panel with a dull Barlow knife to judge by the marks they left in the wood. The client told me "I know it's in sad shape, but what can you do with this to bring it back to life?"
    I gave him a rundown of what I could do if we pulled out all the stops and just went for broke. To my surprise, he agreed.

I spent a good deal of time working the rust out from around the S&W emblem on the side plate. There was nothing to do but flip down the visor and start pushing oil stones. I was trying to strike a balance between removing the rust, and removing the engraving, and/or getting a wavy reflection in the metal. I feel that I did a decent job of accomplishing this task.
    The hammer and trigger were polished out with stones and sent to Turnbull custom rifles with an admonition to do what they do best.
    I also did a better job of filing off the remnants of the thumb rest, along with the gouges and nicks from the Barlow knife kung fu expert, and I swept the checkering up into that area to mimic the RH panel.
    Attachment 135200
    Finally, there was also a leather holster with the pistol the client asked me to refurbish, which I did.

The end result is simply delicious to the eyes. Compared to how this pistol came into the shop, it's absolutely gorgeous. There is very little about this restoration that I am displeased with.
    I thought you guys might like to see it.

Attachment 135201
    Attachment 135202
    Attachment 135203
    Attachment 135204
    Attachment 135206
    Attachment 135207
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Wow. Good workmanship.
    One pic you can almost read the time on the watch as it is reflected on the frame.
    in awe
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Oh my. Great job!
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Beautiful job with the Smith but then you put it in that God awful finish eating holster. Oh dear Tim. I may have a 6 shooter for you to give that treatment to if I can afford it.
    Dan
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Someone truly lucked out in finding someone that can bring back to life a great revolver.

Excellent work - Nice Job - thank you for sharing
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Beau-ti-ful Tim! Next time take some before pictures so we can truly see what an artisan you are!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

WOW !!! Great work Tim
    Tim W

Boolit Master
    You are exactly right we do want to see it, nice job it looks beautiful.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Beautiful job with the Smith but then you put it in that God awful finish eating holster. Oh dear Tim. I may have a 6 shooter for you to give that treatment to if I can afford it.
    Dan
    Believe me, it was GINGERLY slipped into that holster just long enough to take a few pictures and then carefully removed. You have to understand, when the pistol came here it looked like it was on it's last legs just because it had been used and carried so much. Fortunately, it was still remarkably tight, and the crain lockup is good, which means the owner actually shut the cylinder gently instead of using a cool looking snap of the wrist .
    The point is, it looked perfectly at home in that beat up holster. In fact, the holster's finish had been worn clean through on the nose. It was just a beat up old gun in a beat up old holster, and the guy told me to make it all new again, including the leather.

The guy is going to see it Monday and I want to see the look on his face when I hand it back to him.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    Beau-ti-ful Tim! Next time take some before pictures so we can truly see what an artisan you are!
    I really need to do that. Angie keeps telling me the same thing, but I never felt inclined to take a picture of a lousy looking gun. All of the guns that come through the shop leave looking better than they came, but some are just really hard to hand back to the client when they are done. This one is like that.

Boolit Master
    Looks like a K-22 Outdoorsman? Prewar version of the K-22 Masterpiece if I am right.

Boolit Grand Master
    Cuzinbruce is right-a very neat old gun given a great new look. It looks like a second model pre-war k-22 Outdoorsman-- A very rare gun that was worth 300 bucks even in it's rust-bucket condition. They made very few just before WWII as an improved version of the earlier 1st model.
    Wish I could take my tired old body into a shop and get all prettied up like that...
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Good work I know you had to have a good bit of time into this one,can you give us a ballpark price to have that done,I understand each gun is going to be a individual case which is why I asked for a estimated cost?
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master

This one was $500. That was the Turnbull, the checkering, the bluing, the leather, everything.

Great job! Did you test fire it before giving it back? Did the bore need any attention?

Boolit Grand Master

It was tested for function only, not accuracy.
    When the client gave it to me, I was informed that he was very pleased with the accuracy of the gun, but wanted it completely re-blued because it was getting rusty. He asked me what all I could do to help it, and I gave him a rundown what I am capable of producing if we gave it the whole nine yards. He told me to go for it, and I did exactly what I said I would do.

Banned
    That is very good work. !!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Thank you sir.
    That first picture is one of my favorites. Clients ask me for an example of the quality of my bluing and I show them a string of pictures while their eyes get bigger and bigger, then finish with that one and ask "what time is it?".
    Works every time!

Tim..That is high class work indeed. Absolutely first class.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    The great thing about a .22 is that it may never have known ammunition that didn't actively prevent bore rusting. Whether to look for replacement left grip may have been a tricky decision, but the owner may have inherited it from the Barlow knife man, and have some attachment to his choosen style in a better executed form.