Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 Versus 225# Boar

Boolit Grand Master

Good job, both of you. My Marlin put a sow that size in the freezer this season; wasn't the first time, won't be the last. Excellent hog gun.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

What Boar? there's a Boar in that photo? good for you both. Not my wife her idea of roughing it is watching a black & white TV. good times. good hunts. good health to you all. Tom
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master

AWESOME!
    Y'all are blessed to be able to spend time this way!
    Well done, well done
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Congrats on her first hunt, I take it you did not recover the slug.

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent first hunt! I wish you many more.

Boolit Master
    Its nice when a plan comes together! (A Team)

Boolit Master

Nice pig and nice shooting! Be sure to follow up with some pig cooking pics!

Boolit Grand Master

Hope that boar was edible. Had an awesome dinner of free range pork liver this evening from a sow about that size. Boars that size can go either way, hope it's headed for your freezer.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Great thread - She looks as happy as can be - nothing like first hunt success.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

'Grats on the pretty woman and the hog.

Nice!

Boolit Buddy
    beautiful rifle, pig and definitley beautiful lady with humongus smile. by the way, was the slug for St. Paddy's day? It's a wonderful combination. God Bless to you and yours.

Goofy
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Boolit Master
    Judging from your wife's grin ..... I'd say you are in line for looking for another lever gun .... when my wife holds one of my guns and grins that big .......... it's her's after that!

Or at the very least ........ I dare not sell it!!

Congrats

Three 44s

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    BIGRED,

Is there public land pig hunting in FL or is it a paid ranch hunt type of situation. My stepson moved to middle, west FL last fall and I am wanting to try a pig hunt with him. What are license requirements etc.
    There is alot of Public land hunting but it is usually seasonal. meaning it has to fall within an established game season. There is quota permits and special opportunity type permits you can get throw Florida Game Commission. there are alot of guide / outfitters in FL for hog hunting. Average price will be from $200 - $500. when i have the wife, kids, or a new hunter that wants to try hunting i usually take them to an outfitter.
    Better odds of them getting an opportunity at one.
    You do not need a hunting license to kill pigs in FL. if you are hunting them on Public Property during another game season you still don't need a license but it may be a smart idea to have an appropriate license for that game just to avoid any hassles with the warden.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    Congrats on her first hunt, I take it you did not recover the slug.
    I dug around for a while in the sand but to no Avail.... I really wanted that slug. but it was a clean in & out through the Cranium.. need to shoot one in the front chest facing me just so the bullet has 3-4 feet of meat to slow it down..

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Hope that boar was edible. Had an awesome dinner of free range pork liver this evening from a sow about that size. Boars that size can go either way, hope it's headed for your freezer.
    I butcher all of my own critters. i have killed alot of pigs and i have only had 1 that wasn't worth eating. older big nutted Boar i shot during archery season long ago. Meat turned gray when cooked, and had an odor.....

I have eaten them from 6-8# piglets up to a 323 pound boar. all tasted great, but the 75 pound or less ones are super yummy.
    Yes this pig Yielded me 70 pounds of really nice clean Pork. Vacuum sealed and in the freezer along side a **** load of Venison..

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by goofyoldfart View Post
    beautiful rifle, pig and definitley beautiful lady with humongus smile. by the way, was the slug for St. Paddy's day? It's a wonderful combination. God Bless to you and yours.

Goofy
    Not for ST patty's but any of the powder coating guys will tell you that there are certain colors that are just awesome to look at. Zombie / aka Kawasaki green is one of those colors. Couple that with the bright copper Checks and man what a pretty bullet. also a good way to tell difference between bullet types. Different colors can = different weights and hardness.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lobogunleather View Post
    She shot it, she gets to skin it and dress it out.

Just kidding. Very good post.
    You Must be SINGLE........
    No Way she is doing that.

Perma-Banned

Congrats, I love the 45/70 it is my favorite cartridge. I need to find a place to hunt hogs. we do not have many in PA.

Boolit Buddy
    While taking pictures 2 more piggies came out about 25 yards away. I told her there is more pigs behind you. Check out the picture... Momma is reaching for the Rifle with one hand and looking for the next victim..