Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Marlin Lovers?

Boolit Grand Master

Old Marlin Lovers?

Finally got brave enough to fondle the old Marlins I posted about awhile back. Things were a little slow in the Gun Library so I took the opportunity to visit with the manager and fondle a couple that catch my eye every time I walk by.
    First was a nice enough 94 in 32-20. Finish is quite good but the action was a bit gummy and would have benefitted from at least a cursory cleaning and some fresh oil. Things moved like I thought they should with no slop, tho. It's a conservative 70% gun, could even go 80% with a less conservative appraiser. The bore was dirty and rifling seemed sharp enough but I couldn't rule out moderate pitting, in fact I feel pretty sure it was at least somewhat pitted.
    Right next to it was a 93 in 38-55 built in 1905. Very nice gun, probably 80% or better and obviously well taken care of. If was from the same collection as the 94 but it's action felt better and the bore was somewhat cleaner. Rifling was strong but I could see minor pitting and I'd be a little apprehensive about buying it for a CB shooter.
    Both were in the $1300 neighborhood but I have no idea what kind of prices these guns normally bring. There was a 38-40 and a 32-40 in the rack but they didn't interest me much, looked a bit rough and abused. I'm a big fan of vintage Winchester leverguns but I can see a vintage Marlin finding it's way into the stable soon. I like semi-modern Marlins but these older Marlins seem to be quite different from my 10-20 yr old Marlins. I really like what I saw and handled tonight. My resolution to not purchase additional rifles this year may be in trouble.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

You said- "My resolution to not purchase additional rifles this year may be in trouble."

That resolution sets you up for failure. Maybe next year try setting a cap on the number.

If you go through your collection and pick out a few to let go of you won't have to feel bad about buying more. I do that every few years. That way I'm not hanging on to guns I didn't intend as forever pieces or just didn't care for.

I like most of them. What I'd be willing to pay is why I don't have more. I'd be open to any I found a deal on.

I'd like to explore a 44-40 sometime.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master
    I really like the old Marlins. I think they are a little more accurate and stronger than similar Winchester actions. They are a whole lot easier to work on. And cleaning from the breech is a 1-screw proposition - far easier than a Winchester. I have about 5 of them now. 4 are old, vintage guns in old vintage condition. But the 5th was a vintage gun (Model 1895 circa 1899) in basket-case condition, so I've been restoring that one to something like new condition. I'm getting close to do, just need to polish and rust blue the barrel.

It will be a .45-70 and I will take moose hunting this fall.

If I get courageous, I might take my first attempt at checkering too.

Now I have a 39a, 2 1893s, 1894 and this 1895

Outstanding Brent-----------looking forward to seeing it completed. I've been looking for a lever gun project "basket case", one will show up

Dave

Boolit Master

WOW. That is flat gorgeous! Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Buddy
    Doug Turnbull would be envious! Nice job on the color case.
    yooper

Boolit Buddy
    Who did the color hardening?

Boolit Master
    classic gun in Illinois they Google pretty easy if you want to find them.

Boolit Grand Master

Beautiful job on the 1895, Brent!
    Forgot to mention, there was quite a bit if CCH left on that 93 after 110 years. The beautiful colors on your project gun reminded me. I have a Winchester that's slated for restoration whenever I can rake a big enough pile of cash together. For now it's a pretty sweet shooter.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    To be honest, I think the colors are a little over the top. I sometimes think less is more, so I have often rubbed down new colors with a hand covered with Simichrome. I do it by just handling the gun like normal but for 10-20 minutes. That takes color off the high points and places where wear normally is highest and leaves it in the inside corners and so forth. This time, however, I have not done that. I may do it yet, but since the rest of the gun is going to be effectively new condition, and there is no engraving, I'll wait and see how it looks when fully assembled.

I'm glad you all like the colors though. I was quite pleased with them. This gun had numerous and large holes drilled in the receiver ring, but a talented friend welded them up for me. He does really good work.

For those looking to have an action colored, I strongly recommend Classic Guns in Illinois. You can google them easily with the words, Classic Guns Case Color. Their prices are about the same as everyone else's but their turn around is normally very fast. This one took 10 days from dropping in the mail to having it delivered to my house. If it wasn't for the weekend, it would have been done in 8.

Anyway, good folks that know what they are doing.

Some 70" bull moose is really not going to like this rifle I think.

Many thanks for the compliments. I hope you all like the final product as well.

Brent

Boolit Grand Master

Take good care of yourself, Brent. The colors will fade in good time but you'll have to stick around (and maybe go after a few more moose) to make this old gun show a bit of her age again. Just think, after we're long gone someone will be fondling our treasures and wondering about the adventures we had with them...and your 1895 will still be one great looking rifle!

I love the old Marlins and have a few of the old 1893s, 38-55, 30-30, and 32-40. The are easier to work on than Winchester.

However, buy them now! In the short time I have been collecting the prices have shot up. They will continue to go up.
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

Nice to see this bleed over from the Marlin Owners site, focused on those of us who cast and prefer the older iron.
    I've sidelined my affliction for Marlinitus, having run out of safe room for the third time.

It's time for me to focus on the few "Cinderella Salvation" cases which remain unfinished. There remain a few voids in the 1893 through 1957 series, so I still keep a selective eye open.

The older guns indeed have a character and patina lacking in newer guns, each with a unique personality and untold stories hidden in the creases and cracks of old walnut stocks.

It is truly rewarding when these guns are again taken into the field with cast bullets, and after 60 to 100+ years and display smooth actions and excellent accuracy.

On those special days, old men smile and giggle... a lot!
    Last edited by pls1911; 03-13-2015 at 10:52 AM.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Grand Master

There truly is something about the feel of an older Marlin's action. These two are the first I've handled but I could tell they were well made, just like Winchesters of that era.

Boolit Master
    The two you are interested in could be good value, and there is no doubt about the quality of those old Marlins. But anybody selling a gun for that sort of money ought to present with the bore and action clean enough to give you a really good idea of what you are getting

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    The two you are interested in could be good value, and there is no doubt about the quality of those old Marlins. But anybody selling a gun for that sort of money ought to present with the bore and action clean enough to give you a really good idea of what you are getting

I agree. Every gun shop I've ever frequented seems to comply with an unwritten rule against cleaning used guns before selling them. I understand the reasons behind it but I'll pass on a rifle if I can't determine the condition of the bore. I bought an old Winchester rifle in this condition awhile back and when clean it was obvious that the bore was badly pitted and unsuitable for cast boolit shooting. I think I'd be OK with the 38-55 but I won't take a chance on the 32-20, I already have one that needs a liner. Don't need another.

Boolit Grand Master

Got better look at that 38-55 today, seems I missed the price tag last weekend. $2599. It's a nice rifle but I don't think it's quite that nice.

Boolit Master
    I watched a junker of a Marlin .32-20 sell for $1500 in Nebraska on Saturday. It was beyond ridiculous, but someone did it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    I watched a junker of a Marlin .32-20 sell for $1500 in Nebraska on Saturday. It was beyond ridiculous, but someone did it.

I have no feel for vintage Marlin prices at all, just want to look them over a bit for now and learn what to look for. Some Winchester prices defy explanation as well. I've seen rifles not nearly as good as mine going for 2-3 times what I paid for them in the last few years. Hard to say if it was the auction excitement in Nebraska or if maybe he knew something we don't. It's a mystery to me, my checkbook will stay home until I get a better understanding of it.

Boolit Master
    Well, let's just say that either the buyer (and his competition) were a little out of control. I've been buying marlins for a little while now. No expert for sure, but enough to know that even if that is a long barrel on that rifle, it wasn't worth half that.