Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Ridgway Rifle Club Website Updated

Ridgway Rifle Club Website Updated

All the matches for 2008 are now currently listed on the website.

www.ridgwayrifleclub.com

Thanks for the information...I have been there,but never shot there..I know Matthews and Matalavage well..Do you shoot black powder cartridge there?

Boolit Master

Like to make that trip myself. Looks like about 340 miles.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Sharpshooter - a Great Range ...

1000yd looking up range

Down Range

Shooting Line

Why I drive 8 hours to go there

My buddy Homer @1000yds & Got Lucky with this Shot String!

I go up to Ridgway 2-3 times a year. Spent 4 days there in October testing 41 recipes and getting 200 to 500m settings on my HiWall. Plan to shoot a match or 2 in 2009
    Regards
    John

[B]I didn't know they had 1000 yard there. Is this something new they added or was it there?

Boolit Master
    Homer is not a 1000 yds from the main covered range IIRC
    to shoot 1000yds there is a bench on the hill behind the main range at the end of the driveway

There will be a cast bullet Silhouette match in June.

Here is a picture from the 1000yd covered shooting line at Ridgeway. Candidly, I know of no one that shoots from this line. The cover, benches and chairs are in need of a good repair. Was told by the regulars that Homer is 96x to 97x yds from the main covered line where my SUV is parked

As you can see by the water - that day at Ridgway was a washout and the only person there was me.

I don't know how many years ago the 1000yd range was cut in but is been there awhile and Homer was put up then.

But as of Oct 2008, he is in need of repair from some yahoo's from NYC shooting 50cal and other such metal piercing bullets. I'm trying to get his wounds fixed before Spring (the black circles). The gray lead splashes in the 10 and 20" rings and other gray splashes are from my 45-70
    Last edited by John Boy; 12-29-2008 at 02:03 AM.
    Regards
    John

John,

Interesting in deed..I would like to try that sometime myself.....It looks like if there is anyone there using the covered area,one would not be able to shoot the buffalo target....Or am I mistaken....We have a 500 yard range here......Thanks for the information.......I am about 4 hours away from there.....John

Boolit Master

Hey John that is a nice looking range.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It looks like if there is anyone there using the covered area,one would not be able to shoot the buffalo target....Or am I mistaken....
    John - Correct. I wouldn't even venture a guess the last time anyone has shot from the 'real' 1000yd line - except me!
    And for club facilities - the rest of the range is top shelf: A large modern fully equipped club house. One can even bunk out there with fill kitchen facilities. Behind the club house is a 20 position small bore range (chickens to rams). Then there are two other berm ranges - 100 yarders. The top range club house is also a modern full facility. Plenty of parking for RVs, campers, etc.

I stay at the Royal Inn, about 4 miles away. Rooms are $50 a night and on Wednesday's - all you can eat crab legs for $20 and a reasonably priced bar

If one is into trout fishing, there are enough streams nearby to satisfy any fly fisherman.

I would move to Ridgway in a heart beat - but the Mrs won't - no shopping centers nearby.

Next time I go up in the Spring, Ill put a post up John. Would be nice to shoot with other Cast Boolits members. On Tuesday's the 'Over The Hill Gang' gets together for a day's informal shooting with turn bolts and BS'ing. Great group of fellas
    Regards
    John

John.....I am planing on going there and do some shooting this summer....I need a spotter though...
    Plus I will need to get some sight settings as well....I went there once to look it over..I know Paul Matthews and Jerry Mattalavage that shoot there...Keep in touch...John

Boolit Master
    John
    There were two guys, Harold and Jim that could hit Homer with great regularity, Offhand.
    There was a bowling ball hanging from a chain about 750 yds they could hit off sticks, I tried but couldn't see the ball.
    The same guy Harold set the national record on Rams at the PA State Championship in 1997 IIRC during a rain storm so bad the water was running off the rail from the parking lot.
    Would like to see you at one of the BPCR matches, you could have some fun.

And still another question comes to mind....Do they have some targets out all the time if I was to go over there to shoot sometime to get the sight settings? What are the distances as far as in yardage goes...Then I can get like the chicken,pigs and turkeys settings here at my range...That would save time and ammo if I get to go over there...Does one have to be a member to shoot anytime?

If so who do I get in touch with for that? Or is it like the clubs in New York where you have to attend meetings and get voted in to....I think that idea really sucks,but thats how they do it....Since I have moved back to PA,I wouldn't be shooting in NY any more....Thanks---John

John - let's go down the items:
    Spotter: There are usually 2 fine high bore shooters at the range every day: Mel Hoffman and Jim Lounger. They shoot a few rounds and then hang around. When I have been there by myself, both gents have spotted for me. I usually plan a trip with John Kort (w30wcf) and we rotate for each other. If you are there alone on a Tuesday ... the Over The Hill Gang is there. They shoot in rotation and spot for each other ... about 10 guys in the Gang

Targets:
    * At the small bore range behind the club house ... complete permanent setup of all the silhouettes
    * At the high bore range - the same: 10 banks of chickens- pigs-turkeys-rams. At 800yds is a pallet that one can put a paper target on and my buddy, Homer stands there in the rain-snow and sunshine all year long

Sight settings: My Oct 2008 trip was for one purpose ... meter sight settings for about 40 recipes on 30" HiWalls (38-55 and 45-70) for all the banks of silhouettes (200-300-400-500m). Friend, if you need preliminary settings. I've Got Em! and be glad to share them with you. If you need 30" and 34" barrel settings for Homer - got them too.

Yardage to Meter Settings: All the steel silhouettes at Ridgway are NRA Match distances - meter. Easy enough for the yard to meter conversions-there are online programs on the Internet that do it

Be a Member to Shoot?: Yes, but a member can take a guest. If a non-member was to go alone, they would have to know the combination for the gate lock to the top range

To Join Ridgway ... http://www.ridgwayrifleclub.com/ Mail in your money and membership application. No meeting attendance is necessary for membership approval. Must be an NRA member though
    Last edited by John Boy; 12-31-2008 at 03:27 PM.
    Regards
    John

4060 ... hitting Homer offhand is a great feat. He is only 48" high and 82" wide in the aggregate with a lot of empty space neck to head and below his belly. A standard NRA 1000yd paper target is 72 x 72". I bench and stick shoot him. Tried the offhand one time for 5 shots and had only one Whong!
    Regards
    John

I shoot the BPCR matches there every month as well as Shippensburg and McDonald. First rate range and matches run as well as anywhere in the country or better. As well as BPCR there is the cast bullet match in June for two days. You'll see some fine rifles and great shooting at all the matches. Practice all day the day prior to any match for all shooters.
    My match rifles:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rem1Sporterf.jpg   M39Finna-1.jpg