Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FART parts

Boolit Master
    If the worst comes to the worst, search eBay for "plastic gear" and you may well find them by measurement. I can't imagine that 1.5a loads them very highly.

Boolit Master
    So let me get this straight; if you crack a FART, there is no hope for recovery? Another reason to avoid Taco Bell.

prs

I purchased a extreme sonic cleaner from Midway [on sale] in 2014, used it once the stainless pan got some pin holes in it, all the liquid leaked into the electronics area, so I sat on it for a while, then contacted FA and they told me they would replace it with the new style tumbler as soon as they get them back in stock. Sometime next month, great customer service!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03522.jpg  

I can't see buying a piece of equipment for $150+ and considering it "disposable". But then I can recall when electric motors on washers and dryers had end plates that bolted on so you could open them up and repair the windings, armature, and bushings. And recall how stupid I thought it was to start making them with the ends spot welded on to save a small amount on manufacturing by making the motor disposable.

There is a sweet spot between disposable and overbuilt to last forever but too expensive to purchase. I wish more manufacturers would aim for that sweet spot.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Bite the bullet and buy the RCBS Sidewinder tumbler. Capacity is not huge, but it is the simplest to use. Matches my other Green RCBS equipment also.

Well it was trouble with my FART this morning! After only 11 short months of brass cleaning joy, it was time to get out the repairman's hat.
    As this was a rather long and picture intensive post I'll simply ask that you klink on the link below...
    http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum12/36312.html
    Last edited by Guncrank; 02-22-2015 at 02:58 PM.
    Kind regards,
    GC

Chico Marx, after his wife caught him in bed with another woman: "Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?"

Quote Originally Posted by Guncrank View Post
    Well it was trouble with my FART this morning! After only 11 short months of brass cleaning joy, it was time to get out the repairman's hat.
    As this was a rather long and picture intensive post I'll simply ask that you klink on the link below...
    http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum12/36312.html
    Sorry, you do not have permission to view this topic. You may probably perform this action after you login. If you are not a member, you can register here. If you are already logged in then the administrator of the board does not allow this action. Should you have any questions, please contact Admin@handloadersbench.com .

That's what I get when I click on your link and I don't need to be a member of another forum. Thanks anyway.

Boolit Grand Master
    A $150 + disposable tumbler? I'm glad I went Dillon. My big one craped out after 20 years or so, so I got another one. Wish I could remember the details (it's been a few years), but I think they prorated it.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe one day they will carry parts for the
    FART, that would be a GAS.

10-4 Good Buddy, You got the Duck

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I can't see buying a piece of equipment for $150+ and considering it "disposable". But then I can recall when electric motors on washers and dryers had end plates that bolted on so you could open them up and repair the windings, armature, and bushings. And recall how stupid I thought it was to start making them with the ends spot welded on to save a small amount on manufacturing by making the motor disposable.

There is a sweet spot between disposable and overbuilt to last forever but too expensive to purchase. I wish more manufacturers would aim for that sweet spot.
    BIG +1.

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    Sorry, you do not have permission to view this topic. You may probably perform this action after you login. If you are not a member, you can register here. If you are already logged in then the administrator of the board does not allow this action. Should you have any questions, please contact Admin@handloadersbench.com .

That's what I get when I click on your link and I don't need to be a member of another forum. Thanks anyway.
    VH,

Sorry about that!
    I will try to get that info posted in this thread as soon as possible. For the moment suffice it to say that the plastic of the main roller housing cracked where the motor and gear-train is fastened on the underside. My best guess is that there was a stress point created when the two assemblies were screwed together and after 11 months of use the plastic failed.
    Kind regards,
    GC

Chico Marx, after his wife caught him in bed with another woman: "Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?"

My Damaged FART

This is what I discovered this morning when I went to use my Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler, the roller housing had a big’ole crack in it.
    I do rather wish I had thought of getting pictures right from the get-go, but I suspect those out there that have purchased a FART will be able to check their machines for this problem with what I've pictured below.

My FART, in the 11 months I've owned it has not been dropped or, had anything dropped on the roller housing. However, it is possible that some sort of damage may have been initiated during shipping & handling on it's way to me and simply went unnoticed until this morning. But it's my opinion that the crack developed as a result of stress over time caused by the weight of the motor and gearing as well as the way in which they are fastened to the plastic of the housing.

Further, as I write this I believe I will in the next day or two look at the best way to add a support bracket to better carry the weight of the motor, gears and bracket there by removing any remaining stress from the plastic of the roller housing.

Here's a little better view...

Whats under the cover...

The motor and gearbox removed...

The gearbox opened up for inspection...

Note the gear and support bushing in the upper left hand corner has also been loaded up with silicone grease but was initially found to be in as new condition upon inspection.

My favorite grease for anything that doesn't play well with more conventional petroleum based greases. Absolutely loaded with silicone's, very thick, resists moisture and wash-out to a very high degree, has about a million and one uses around the home and shop. It's also rated for use in food processing equipment...
    Find it on Amazon or at your favorite industrial supply house.

Kind regards,
    GC

This thread just reminded me of how glad I am that I built my own machine using pillow block bearings, steel shafts, and a 1/3 hp. motor.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Master
    I checked mine and it looks solid as new. I will check from time to time and if it needs a little reinforcing, a couple of sheets of fiberglass cloth and some resin would double it's strength. You could even add a section of 1/8 steel plate bent to shape on the outside as there is plenty of clearance. The guts are mounted on steel brackets. I don't see this as a real big problem. And probably for most guys it will never come up. Call FA, they may send you a machine if it's only been 11 months. Although after you made a repair, they may not. Good luck and post later how your repair is going. Rod

Boolit Master
    I emailed Battenfeld sales and got a reply from Mat Stepanovic today. He says new drum assemblies will be available after March. I think if interest is shown all the other parts will probably be available if there is shown to be a need down the road. The way it is constructed though, there may be no need at all. I would like to have a spare drum. One for pins and one to use without pins. Rod

When my RCBS sidewinder broke down they just sent me a new one. Really no farting around.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Boolit Master
    There is no doubt that RCBS stands behind their products. I have a ton of it. The sidewinder was $410 and then $45 for pins then shipping and tax. For about 1/3 the cost the Fart hold 3 times the brass and polishes faster using pins that come with it. There is nothing on the drum that will break. Push comes to shove you can buy a Rebel 17 frame and adapt it to run the FART drum for $90 plus a small motor. Not ragging on the RCBS unit, they make quality stuff. I just wanted more capacity. Rod

Boolit Buddy
    I will pay more for a similar unit from RCBS or other manufacturers just for their warranty. In the long run, and with my experiences from RCBS, it's well worth it!

A salute to this equipment design...
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    A $150 + disposable tumbler? I'm glad I went Dillon. My big one craped out after 20 years or so, so I got another one. Wish I could remember the details (it's been a few years), but I think they prorated it.
    Hey, my big one crapped out after 24 years and Dillon sent me a new one....................FOR NOTHIN' !!!!