Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Revolver Accuracy; Perspection, perception and reality?

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Half inch at fifty for an average with stock revolvers won't happen as typical accuracy. What is believed has nothing to do with it. We are not looking for beliefs, but rather realistic expectation.

Disagreement with my position will not suddenly make half inch fifty yard revolvers the norm, sorry. We're looking for actual events, not doubtful claims in this thread.

I would suggest anyone believing half inch revolvers occur with frequency at fifty yard ranges ought to look for more credible sources of information than this thread, which has been misleading from some sources.
    Poof! I am back in Kansas.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Banned

Half inch at fifty for an average with stock revolvers won't happen as typical accuracy. What is believed has nothing to do with it. We are not looking for beliefs, but rather realistic expectation.

Disagreement with my position will not suddenly make half inch fifty yard revolvers the norm, sorry. We're looking for actual events, not doubtful claims in this thread.

I would suggest anyone believing half inch revolvers occur with frequency at fifty yard ranges ought to look for more credible sources of information than this thread, which has been misleading from some sources.
    I have owned 5 or 6 S&W 29's that all did 1/2" at 50 meters with open sights. Only problem was grip sensitivity. Groups would change POI as my hold changed. new SBH hunter did 1/2" every group while sighting it in. Every single BFR has reached 1/2" at 100 yards out of box. I shot beer cans at 200 yards with 3 different SRH's. Even had a Taurus .44 here that did 1/2" at 50. HOW WRONG IS THAT? If you think you need a $3000 custom to shoot when a Ruger will make it look sick, you can't load right.

Boolit Grand Master
    If they were stock I don't believe a word of that....sorry.

Ask yourself.....why do people pay big coin to custom makers like Clark for revolvers that won't shoot anywhere near that well even given the best barrels and accuracy techniques?

Could it be because stock revolvers really don't shoot as well as you claim they do?

Think about it.

At some point super grandiose claims of accuracy just aren't believable. Just serving notice you are at and beyond that point. Now we are talking half inch BFRs at 100?

Now I'm waving the BS flag.....but this sort of thing brings it out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Apologies for being blunt enough to say it rather than just think it......but this thread IS about realistic expectations.

Boolit Master
    I don't doubt for a minute that half-inch groups can be shot with a good revolver.
    BUT, again BUT, It only matters what one can do the VAST MAJORITY of the time. Not even just 50 percent of the time but the VAST MAJORITY of the time.
    When I look at my shooting, and also while talking about my shooting with others I talk about what I can do the VAST MAJORITY of the time.
    That is only what counts.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes. A half inch once in a great while hardly makes a representation of what the gun will do.

I am sorry I have to be one of those to drag a thread supposedly about REALISTIC expectations of revolver accuracy back to realism, but sometimes it gets a bit deep in here.

Expecting a stock revolver to regularly shoot a half inch at fifty is far from realistic. The gun itself is not capable even if shooter error was somehow eliminated

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    It only matters what one can do the VAST MAJORITY of the time. Not even just 50 percent of the time but the VAST MAJORITY of the time.
    If we were looking for an average that would probably be true. They post record groups for a reason, don't they.....................................

Expecting a stock revolver to regularly shoot a half inch at fifty is far from realistic. The gun itself is not capable even if shooter error was somehow eliminated
    Hahahaha............. Some revolvers do just that when fed something it likes with someone that really knows how to do that. I've seen that several times in person myself and done it myself also with stock handguns. The gun isn't the week link, the shooter is...................... whether you choose to believe it or not.

Boolit Grand Master
    I believe the shooter is a weak link, but with claims running to a half inch at fifty yards the stiock revolver is very much challenged as well and is also the weak link. Stock revolvers are not capable of such as a "more often than not" situation.

To claim otherwise is to draw my derisive laughter as well. I am not that gullible.

Whether you choose to believe it or not. I am sure both Ruger and Smith and Wesson would concur, and if they were informed their run of the mill stock revolvers were half inch at fifty capable for averages they'd run up the BS flag in a flash.

Some of the claims here would put an Olympic Gold Medalist to shame. Half inch group using a 44 with iron sights is as close to a one hole group as damn is to swearing.

Welcome to Kansas.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

You guys are welcome to believe whatever you want (right, wrong, black or white), but your belief does not alter what has already been done by others whether you are capable or not with your guns and loads.

What was that old saying again. It ran something like -----"Don't tell me what I am doing is impossible while I am standing there doing it. It's just annoying"

Yup back to the old mystic claims of special codes and lexers. If only......

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Grand Master
    Quite true. The same points will not suddenly make a half inch revolver at fifty yards a regular occurrence in stock form even if all human error is eliminated.

Just ain't gonna happen. Realism dictates otherwise and nobody here can change that no matter what is said.

Really Bob........ it's so nice to be able to ignore you now that you're no longer a mod............... just like a bunch of us have said to you before. You have a good day now.

35.... we are not into realism or rationalization................. just what we see happen. We don't know what you shoot or what ammo you use, but handloads in S&W models (14, 624, 19, 29, 657), Ruger Blackhawks in (357, 41, 44 and 45) and TC Contenders with a 10" 45 ACP barrel have all did this when everything lined up.... all depends on what you put in them and how salty you are.
    Last edited by 45 2.1; 02-10-2015 at 06:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    Just because there are SOME that can wring half-inch groups from a stock revolver or semi-auto does not make it REALITY for most which makes it UN REALISTIC for most . If you do, that makes your perception of REALITY hard for most to live up to.
    Again if those type of groups were that frequent for so many there would be no reason to show the tiny little groups. That make groups like that the exception to the rule. While those groups are a reality, due to the fact they have been shot, does not make them realistic.

Boolit Grand Master

I competed in long range handgun for 30 years. The revolver category is part of the production class meaning that only over the counter production guns are allowed. It is also an open sight category, no scopes. The ONLY modifications to the revolver allowed are grips, after market sights and a trigger job and that only if they can be installed without modification to the revolver. NO other modifications to the over the counter out of the box revolver are allowed.

Now consider the NRA National Championships in Master Class Revolver and the IHMSA International Championships in International Class revolver. Shoot-offs to break perfect score 80x80 ties are at 200 meters (218 yards) and the target size is right about the size of a pack of cigarettes and it is not uncommon for these shooters to clean a bank of these targets, done it myself a time or two. Creedmoor, no artificial support of any kind and no benches. Now if you can hit five consecutive packs of cigarettes at 218 yards would one of these nay sayers like to explain what the group would be at 50 meters with a production revolver?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    How many shooting ranges doe you know of that is being overrun with shooters of that caliber?
    We are now being realistic about reality and how it is perceieved and our perception of reality and realistic.

Boolit Grand Master
    Stock revolvers and their capabilies......more often than not.

Half inch capable at fifty? Lay very heavy odds on "not."

You may all step up to the plate with your guns and feel free to eliminate human error however you can.

Again, if you want to claim stockers are capable feel free. The more outrageous the claim the less we figure you're likely to put up.

I wonder why folks pay Bill Wilson $4,500 and up for custom 1911's that come with a 1" guarantee at 25 yards when they could spend $500 on a Ruger BH and shoot 1/2" groups easy peasy at 50 yards.

45 2.1 your ignore button isn't working. Get it to work.

35 Remington you are into the ether of the outerworld where a 10" Contenders becomes a revolver and where we find the obsolescence of the $5K Olympic Free rifle deferred to the $500 Ruger stock Blackhawk. If only they knew.

Take Care

Bob