Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: HP mold for 45ACP

HP mold for 45ACP

Any one using the Lyman #452374HP mold? I need info. on how it expands & feeds in 1911s. Any load data that you would like to share? Thank you. Don
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Vendor Sponsor

I still have some for sale. 2 cav brass....

For result you should look here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...r-hollow-point
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Boolit Master
    I use the Mihec 453374 version of the Lyman mold. Feeds and cycles perfectly in both my Glock and 1911. Using a 12BHN alloy I get beautiful expansion to about the size of a nickel.

I have shot a few but no thorough testing yet. It shot fine in a couple 1911's that I tried them in. Expansion was good but only fired one into a couple water jugs. 2-2-96 and have a few cast with 1:20 but have not tested them.

Expansion is all about HP design & alloy. I have a couple for my 45, converted Lyman 230 & the Lyman Dev. Both do well cast 25-1, driven 800-1000fps.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Just by the luck of the draw I ended up with a 452484 gas checked 45ACP mold. Sent it off to be hollow pointed. Now it's a smackin' wundershroomer. Having the weight to drive the expanding front is a big plus (my opinion of course).

Boolit Grand Master

Works great.

This one has the pentagonal HP pin.

Penetration in ballistic gelatin would be twice this or about 10 1/2".

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

I have the Lyman Devastator 452374 and with a 9 bhn mix of sticky and clippy WW and a pinch of tin it makes a nice round coin about quarter size with just the base band stuck on the back. That's with a stiff book load of Unique, though not quite as stiff as Bill's, and also out of a Commander-length barrel.

Gear

Boolit Master
    I have Mihec's version and also the Lyman Devastator. The Lyman is a single cavity, the Mihec is a 2 cavity. If he still has some left, I'd grab one while you can. Much better than waiting on another group buy. For what it's worth, both feed and shoot great in my 1911s, but I haven't tried them in anything else. I have taken a couple hogs with the Mihec version, and both bullets stopped just under the skin on the off side on 150-175# hogs and expanded to .55-.60". I have not had a chance to take any game with the Lyman version but expect good performance also. Accuracy with both is 2-3"@50 yds with a rest and I use PB GCs with both made with a PatMarlin checkmaker with both designs. I don't think they're needed, but I've been playing with these bullets in a .45 Colt Ruger BH also, and GCd a few hundred of these for use in both the ACP and the Colt cases.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Buddy

I use the MiHec 45-225 and have settled on the LHP which drops at +/- 200 gr. I use HP-38 at 5.2 gr for punching paper. Haven't had the opportunity to see expansion but round has worked in every 45 my friends and I have - 5 or 6 different models.

I use Miha's MP452-200 with penta point and bullseye cast with 75% lead and 25% WW. Haven't found anything comparable yet. Would have to look up the load, but I think it was about 4.4 gr. BE.

Boolit Master
    I use the mihec 452374 and it is fantastic in my sigs, blocks, and 1911.

Also my tablet autocorrects Glock to block. Accurate enough I guess.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_5106.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	131078

Lyman Devastator cast from wheel weights at 793fps (W231 start load) from my 1911. Haven't done any accuracy testing yet, just tried some different alloy mixes. Doesn't look like there will be any problems though. I've only shot it from my 1911 and Blackhawk.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boolit hp 001.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	131449
    NOE HP is what I use, the Hollow point is amazing--a 22 short will disappear up to the case cannelure in a round so loaded.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 02-20-2015 at 08:23 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by huntrick64 View Post
    I use Miha's MP452-200 with penta point and bullseye cast with 75% lead and 25% WW. Haven't found anything comparable yet. Would have to look up the load, but I think it was about 4.4 gr. BE.
    I use this boolit with Green Dot, worked so well I haven't tried anything else yet, now I have BE so I'd like to compare them.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill