Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Weaver Base Screw Size

Boolit Mold

Weaver Base Screw Size

I plan to put a Weaver base on an old 32 cal CVA Squirrel Rifle to mount a long eye relief scope (Old Timers Disease). Purchased the base complete with screws, dunno what tap and drill to buy. Screws measure about .160" across the threads.

Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Joe

Boolit Buddy
    6x48 tap and #31 drill
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Mold
    Thanks,
    I figured it was either a #6 or #8 but got lost trying to Google it
    Joe

Tuttle Okla. 12 miles south of South Canidian River
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyJW View Post
    Thanks,
    I figured it was either a #6 or #8 but got lost trying to Google it
    Joe
    I have rifles built, and the first thing that I tell the smith, is to drill, and tap #8. Them sixes is for wristwatches. I you have not drilled yet, just send me a pm. and I will send you a drill, and a tap, and some screws to do the job with. If you can drill, and tap, then you can open up the bases to use a #8 Screw. Its just that simple!Carl
    Better to have a gun, and not need it. than to need one,and not have it!

Boolit Master
    #6 screw .138 major (outside) diameter
    #8 screw .164 major diameter

http://academic.evergreen.edu/projec...ric/number.htm
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    #6 screw .138 major (outside) diameter
    #8 screw .164 major diameter

http://academic.evergreen.edu/projec...ric/number.htm
    Ahhh..... so it looks like I already have #8's then. Thanks for the link.

This rifle recoils about like a 22 Mag; not too heavy. It has probably less than 100 rounds through it and if it gets another 100 rounds in my lifetime that will be about it. I haven't messed with it in years but got it out a while back and want to use it for a pest gun around the farmstead. 60 yards to the edge of the clearing from the house, maybe another 10 yards visible into the trees. I don't want a 22 Mag because the bullets can travel too far but the BC of a .311 round ball is almost like using a shotgun.

I considered a scoped turkey-type shotgun but already own this. A 32 H&R Mag in a Handi-Rifle shooting round balls would probably work too, but again, I already own this. It should be fun seeing what it will do.
    Joe

Boolit Master
    Your most welcome. BTW, MOST #8 scope mount screws are 40 tpi, Steve.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Grand Master

I was tasked by a couple or three friends (back in the day) to scope ALL of our S&W .44 mags. I was even pointed to a precision machine shop to do the work. I had seen an early Bill Wilson installation (pictures only) using Kimber quick detachable rings and blocks. The scope was mounted between the sights.

I bought several Kimber blank rails for their rings. I had the shop mill short bases at my direction. I specified 8x40 screws and actually furnished the drill and tap to the shop. To make a long story short, all of the revolvers were finished perfectly (the shop knew NOTHING about guns but were first rate at taking directions and I was SPECIFIC with a capital "S"). It has been many, many years and all of the revolvers have the original installation without a single problem with several thousand full power rounds down the tubes. 6/48's should have NEVER become the scope standard. Eights have twice the sheer strength of sixes.

Dale53

Boolit Mold
    The tap & drill are in the mail (along with a few other goodies from Midway)
    Joe

Boolit Mold
    Just got done drilling and tapping the scope mount holes, all went well. I am now the proud possessor of a genuine Scout/Squirrel Rifle (or is that Squirrelly Scout Rifle) ?

Haven't shot it yet but will report on the results when I do.
    Joe