Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Looking for some experience on Contender 30-30 load

Boolit Master

Looking for some experience on Contender 30-30 load

Picked up my first Contender recently w/ a 30-30 barrel ( short barrel not Super16 ). Was wanting some mild fun shooting loads? It has a red dot mounted on it so 50yds will most likely be my shooting distance. Can't see why any of my 94AE loads w/ Lee113 and unique won't be fun.

Just looking for some ideas.

Thanks
    DWD

Boolit Grand Master

That load will probably shoot good in your T/C. I have 14" 30-30AI and a 21" tapered 30-30. Both work well with most any decent load.
    If you decide to shoot full power loads it will not be difficult to obtain jacketed velocity with cast. My hunting load is 28grs of H4895 with the Lyman 311041 at 170grs. I bought some Leverevolution powder but have not loaded it yet.
    Decent velocity with powders like 2400, 296, etc. work very well and keep the recoil and blast to an acceptable level.
    I've shot the half jacketed pistol bullets many years ago before I cast for 30 cal.

Boolit Master

10 grs. Unique with a 311291 at 1500fps is my favorite 30-30 load for my Contender.
    Any boolit in the 150/200gr range will work well with 10 gr Unique...dale

Boolit Master
    I use a 14" T/C 30-30 for IHMSA silhouettes and the farthest group of targets are at 200m. I have been using the RBCS 165gr sil WQWW with aluminum gas checks and 18gr of SR4759. But now that 4759 is gone, I have to work on something else. I just picked up a pound of IMR3031 and will try that. Just have to decide on the powder charge to start with. Recoil is very managable. Full load factory load are a bit hard on me, so a reduced and accurate load is best for what I need.So many powders, so little time for testing.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Well I just loaded up my first 40 rounds of 30-30 Winchester the other day. 36 grains of RL-15, CCI 200 Primer, and a Speer 130 GN bullet. Haven't shot em yet.

Boolit Master
    I use 7 gr. of WW231 with 170 gr. boolit. Used it in IHMSA Unlimited Standing on chicken, pig, turkey. Nice light recoil to not get whacked by scope and enough power to take the targets down.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003-1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	126189

10 gr Unique
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    Nice group scb and I have that mold and powder ready to go, Not sure my eyes are good enough with a Red Dot may have to scope it.

I was very unhappy with the 3030 barrel that I got with my contender. It is a 10 inch barrel and has absolutely no throat and a very tight chamber. Lyman boolit 311041 will only chamber after the gas check has been seated well below the case neck. So I have settled on a little 100 grain round nose 32 caliber lee mold that I size down to .309 and load over six grains of Unique for a nice light little plinker round. I have not had a chance to run them over the chronograph yet but the accuracy potential is there.
    PS The chamber is so tight I also had to turn the necks just so the round would chamber.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    I'm afraid mine is the same, I had some 311041 loaded and could not chamber them. I thought at first b.c. its a bore rider and I know when used in my 94AE I have them seated out further than they have to be, I have to use a little force when closing the lever. Was going to try and seat that boolit lower, but want to check on a few things first.

I did try some factory loads....WOW thats a little much even for my middle aged hands. I can see this is going to require a "special" load to play and work with.

Super Moderator

I have Contender barrels in both 7x30 Waters and in 30-30. As mentioned a couple of times, both of these have tight chambers/throats as well. Sizing the 30-30 boolits to .310 and crimping with the Lee FCD solved my problems in the 30-30. Still fighting with the 7x30...

Boolit Master

I like 10.7 gr Unique with 135gr lfp that shoots well in my 14" contender

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC

Boolit Buddy
    Ducky: I have not checked loading manuals, but my gut feel is that your 36 gr loading of RL 15 may be a bit "warm". I'm running 28 grains of Varget behind the 311041 for about 1825 fps. -Ed

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master
    Ben that is an excellent thread! One of my goals is too play with the LEE 314-90 SWC as others have had great success with it in rifles. As stated in the thread just good cheap fun. I have a feeling I'm going to be spending some time with this single shot
    Last edited by DeadWoodDan; 01-20-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Heat Treated RCBS 165-SIL or SAECO #316, or RanchDog/NOE 165grain...add 25 grains of Reloader 7 and kiss whatever you're aiming at Good Bye!!
    2 Tc 30-30' with 15" barrels, one iron sighted , one scoped, both deadly.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Bub
    Also... That heat treated RCBS 165-SIL with 12.5- 12.7 GR of Blue Dot..... used it in a T/C 10" out to 200M for IHMSA Silhoutte...about a 4" group at that distance ...but pleasant to shoot. Many good scores with it.

Boolit Master
    going to be a short summer working with all these ideas! thanks guys
    I just did a session with the TLC311 165 RD six cavity...boy its been a while where I got into a rythem and didn't want to stop, once I got going and found the sweet spot just didn't want to stop. Going to try the new Bens Liquid Lube and see what I can do with the two

My wife has a scar on her nose where the Contender 14 hit her. How's that fer experience? (I wasn't in the equation, she just picked it up and shot it before I could warn her) Load info? The 180 Loverin kicks like a mule!
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!