Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing lead oxide from cast boolits

Put;em in a wooden box loose.
    Put box in trunk of car/truck bed.
    Leave there for a couple week's and drive as normal.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rickw55 View Post
    For the reason depoloni explained in the post above:
    "Lead oxide is absorbable through skin contact, and is one of the most prevalent ways (as such) that lead gets into the body is my understanding. No harm to "loads" per se, but you don't want to be touching the stuff more than necessary."
    Couldn't have said it better myself! Rick W
    No, I don't think the lead is absorbable through skin. If you have it on your hands and rub your eyes, put fingers in mouth, pick your nose, smoke or eat you can get it into your system. Common safety practices such as don't do any of those things until you wash your hands thoroughly will keep you safe. Part of the liberal agenda is to make lead evil, it is not. It is not radioactive and it is not laying in wait to jump out and get you. Common sense and common safety practices are all that's needed.

All that said lead is far more toxic to kids 7 years and younger than it is to adults. By all means keep kids away from lead. If they do pick up any lead as with adults wash their hands thoroughly before they put their fingers in their mouth or eat anything.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

So, how about stopping it before it starts. I know Lee alox does a decent job, but don't want to have it on all my stored bullets. I was kicking around the idea of storing cast bullets in a mason jar filled up with veggie oil or something else like Kerosene. At least with the Karosene you could drain it off and let the rest of it evaporate.

Boolit Master
    Stop it before it starts? Maybe straight JLPW (Johnson's Liquid Paste Wax). Just a thought...
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master
    We had training films at work, before I retired, about safe lead handling. Lots of detail, but the central theme was that unbroken skin was a barrier to lead, lead oxide, etc,.
    The danger was having it on your skin, clothing, etc, and carelessly transferring it to your mouth, nose, etc, where it got inside your body. Ingestion, not absorption. Unless washed, keep your hands away from your mouth, food, tobacco, etc, and you should be ok.
    Also do not breath in anything that is being ground, scraped, or other airborne lead.
    Common sense rules the day.