Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Loading 45-70 with DD-ROA Flat bullets

Boolit Bub

Loading 45-70 with DD-ROA Flat bullets

I sell the DD-ROA Flat bullet molds. The bullets drop from the mold at .460". They haul lube typical of Big LubeŽLLC designs. What I'm wanting to do is to work up a Plainsman round that will give good accuracy with minimum felt recoil. The bullets weigh 210 grains and are a RNFP design. They shoot fine out of my 45 Colt Win. 73 clone rifle when sized to .454".

So, any help with a light black powder load for this bullet with the mighty 45-70 that would give good accuracy out to 100 yards?

DD

Boolit Bub

From what I have read on this forum the 45/70 likes heavy (300 to 500+) grain bollits. Not saying it want work, but that's my .2$

Boolit Grand Master

Dick, a "light BP load" is almost a oxymoron. Not quite, but requires fillers. You need a full case under the boolit with BP, and that usually means a full load. Deep seating may help, but the case is tapered. There is a guy who has posted how he shoots light loads by filling much of the case with a centrally drilled brass rod.

Smokeless is more forgiving. "Light" loads of, say 3031 or 4759 might accomplish what you want.

I do shoot my Gould with BP, but that is with a full case. It is 320gr. I wouldn't call it a light load. You are either looking at fillers or a full case of BP or smokeless.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

We have been shooting a suppressed 45-70 at 1050 fps using Unique and 400- 500 grain bullets but there is very very little felt recoil. The rifle is a Ruger number 1.

Boolit Grand Master

Measure out the full charge of black powder now measure the starting load you want from this. I would suggest starting around 55 grn with the wieght bullet you want to use. So measure 55 grns from your full charge load. Wieght the left over and make a dipper up to hold this amount of powder. Now dip into cream of wheat and wieght this is the amount of filler needed. Load primed case with powder charge a card wad and the dipper of cream of wheat. ( na little dandy style measure or rotary can also be set up to throw this charge). Another card wad and compress to depth , and seat the bullet and crimp if desired. leave no airspace in the case a solid column is desired. You might consider 3f also due to lighter bullet wieghts.

Boolit Grand Master