Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Trailboss Loading Discrepency in a 45LC. Wide difference in a 454190

Boolit Grand Master

Trailboss Loading Discrepency in a 45LC. Wide difference in a 454190

I just tried a 454190 in a R-P case to see what the max load of Trailboss was using the "to the base of the boolit" method. I got a measured max of 8.7gr which gives a 70% starting load of 6.0gr.

My Lymans Cast Bullet Book lists Trailboss with this boolit Max at 5.8gr.

8.7gr vs 5.8gr is quite a difference. Using the "base of boolit" method the min 6.0gr measured is over the book max. Any thoughts on this?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I use 8.7 with a noe rnfp seated out to 1.6ish this load in my 1894 shoots great .In my Bisley it shoots ok.

Boolit Master

I don't know what to make of the discrepancy but I have used the 1/8" below the bullet base method in 38, 357 and 30-30 with no issues.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Groo here
    The listed data for Trailboss was intended for some very old BP guns and so the pressure is low on purpose.
    The "bottom of the boolet" loading is for modern guns and is of a higher pressure.
    More than one writer in the gun rags has wished for pressure data for modern stuff.

Boolit Master
    Caveat always remember Trail Boss doesn't like compression. So for safety let's make that base of the bullet -10% for safety PLEASE! Also remember Trail Boss DOES like a good firm crimp! I agree I believe that load data you are looking at is for the safety of older BP guns. Having just looked at Hodgdon's website and load data they have pulled the data for Trail Boss in "Ruger Freedom Arms etc etc" category which use to list a heavier loading. So..... I dunno....

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks guys. Hodgdon should make that clear on their sight. A close to 50% load difference hadme scratching my head
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum