MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: If you have a lead hardness tester please get in touch with me.

By the time I got through all of my emails and private messages early this morning I was truly amazed at the response this has gotten. Thanks for all of the response gents. Right now I have about 40 volunteers, with a wide range of tools.

At 12 apiece, I probably have enough Cabine Tree and Lee testers to get fairly accurate results.

Right now I am only looking to add saeco brand testers, and maybe one LBT tool.

Once again, thank you all for your assistance.
    I don't rent pigs.

In Remembrance
    Any interest in getting results for my method of hardness testing?
    I just 'bite the bullet'.

Actually, I have the Lee tester, but I bet you have plenty of volunteers who use it.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Which tooth do you use to make the indent, and how consistent are your readings?

You are right in that I have enough Lee and Cabine Tree testers. I think adding any more would only be adding to postage at this point.

So far this has been a pleasantly surprising experience. Thanks for all of the help folks. I will bump this thread as things progress.
    I don't rent pigs.

Boolit Master
    I can perfom an XRF analysis of the base alloy used in in the evalauation if you think that would be of value.

John

PM sent
    Jim

I reckon so....

Quote Originally Posted by johnly View Post
    I can perfom an XRF analysis of the base alloy used in in the evalauation if you think that would be of value.

John

I'm not sure if it would matter or not. I can't think of a reason the type of alloy would matter for what I am testing, but I am in new to me territory here, so maybe I am missing something.

What do you all think?

Does it require much extra effort for you John?

By the way folks, I am only looking for Saecos now. I have at least 10 of everything else.

Thanks.
    I don't rent pigs.

Boolit Bub

LBT tester

PM sent.

Boolit Grand Master

Am very interested in the results of this test. When will you be posting results?
    1Shirt!

I will cast the bullets later this week. Three weeks later I will email everyone who has contacted me for snail mail addresses. On the fourth week I will ship. I should have results shortly after that. Rough estimate= a little over a month and a half.
    I don't rent pigs.

Boolit Grand Master

yammerschooner,

Did you get the additional SAECO testers you needed? Can't believe it's only been two weeks, seems like two months waiting, oh well patience is a virtue (I've been told that, I don't really know it).

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

I have 9, but really want one more.

Casted the boolits on Easter. I will send out a call for snail mail addresses late next week.

Here is a preview of what will be sent. 45 cal. Will have everyone test the nose according to their tool's instructions.

I don't rent pigs.

Boolit Man

Saeco hardness tester

I'm in with my SAECO tester if you need me.

Great!

Either PM me your snail mail address or I will send you an IM for it next week.

Rick, it looks like I have 10, so no need to bother your friend.

Thanks to all.
    I don't rent pigs.

Boolit Grand Master

Already emailed him but that's ok.
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

I can't seem to edit the original post, but I would like everyone to know that I now have 10 of each type of tester, and am just waiting for the bullets to sit long enough so that any changes due to age hardening take place.

Thanks!
    I don't rent pigs.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Shore Scleroscope, and the magnifying hammer for lead & copper. I would be happy to test a few for you.

B.

PM incoming.
    I don't rent pigs.

Boolit Buddy
    if you want another Saeco I'll be glad to help out.

Matt

I think I am all set. I will be in touch if anyone has something come up. Thanks for the offer.
    I don't rent pigs.

Banned
    Yammerschooner;
    We did the original test of hardness testers that you cited. The lasc site guy is talking about our test, now in the Second Edition of "CAST BULLETS FOR BEGINNER AND EXPERT", chapter 3.3.
    (A WORD copy of the book with all EXCEL workbooks and ERRATA is available at no charge on http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK/, in FILES.)

Your current test looks like a much more comprehensive and detailed test than ours, mo better.
    I will warn you (all) about one element of testing that comes up over and over. Testers sometimes "fudge" or "trim" their results. This is a natural and common and well-studied phenomenon. When I'm chronographing and the results are centering nicely around ex 1450 fps and then there's this 1623, I'm strongly tempted to ignore this strange result-to edit it out of the results. I mostly resist the temptation and include this outlier.

Data is messy. I hope that the results will include all those outliers, and that the testers report ALL the results.

Thanks;
    joe b.