Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forming 43 Spanish Brass

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Might check with Buffalo Arms, you may be able to be that brass just one or two pieces at a time... It gets really expensive that way tho.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Might check with Buffalo Arms, you may be able to be that brass just one or two pieces at a time... It gets really expensive that way tho.
    Thanks, that is the only way I would be able to get some together.

Boolit Buddy
    Made mine out of 348 brass. Chuck them up in a drill press & file down the bottom 1/2" above the rim with a fast cutting file till getting close to the right diameter then finish with a fine cut file & emery cloth. Takes 10- 15 minutes. Anneal case & fire form, Trim case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I shoot several of these old rifles and it is a way more expensive hobby than shooting current rifles. But as said previously buy the brass that is proper for the gun when available and move on. I have not had to junk a single piece in the 5 or 6 years since I bought the brass.
    That is true, but it is mostly in the overheads - the dies, the mould if that is the way you go, and the brass, which will last a long time at these pressures, if it is the right brass. The cost per round isn't very different. The Spanish Remington is one of the most practical and efficient of black powder rifles, so that niggling "Maybe I should try another rifle..." isn't going to come waking you in the night.

Boolit Grand Master

Ballistics, that is what I meant. I can find lots of 30-06, 223, etc. laying on the ground at the range but never anything like the 43 Mauser or Spanish. Dies usually are not cheap either.
    I bought a 71 Mauser about 5 years ago in very good shape for $250 but probably spent the same again getting it shooting.

Ballistics, that is what I meant. I can find lots of 30-06, 223, etc. laying on the ground at the range but never anything like the 43 Mauser or Spanish. Dies usually are not cheap either.
    I bought a 71 Mauser about 5 years ago in very good shape for $250 but probably spent the same again getting it shooting.
    I have a few things on flea bay. Hope to get at least enough for the dies.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using Lee dies for the 43 Spanish, $32.00. Dies are ok, but Lee shell holder for this case really sucks. No problem with RCBS shell holder.

If you don't spend as much on brass, dies, and moulds as you did for a rifle you are doing something wrong

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    If you don't spend as much on brass, dies, and moulds as you did for a rifle you are doing something wrong
    I am beginning to see that

Boolit Buddy
    I bought 20 cases from Bertram and have never looked back.

+1 on that.

Boolit Grand Master

Had the primer pocket floor fracture on two of my Bertram cases. Kinda irritating for
    as expensive as the darned things are.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I shoot several of these old rifles and it is a way more expensive hobby than shooting current rifles. But as said previously buy the brass that is proper for the gun when available and move on. I have not had to junk a single piece in the 5 or 6 years since I bought the brass.

Find some "extra stuff" like your 44 brass and sell it to come up with the money. Unlikely you will come up with used brass but you can always try by posting in the Wanted to Buy section here.
    Yes Sir that is just what I will do.