Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homebrewing

Boolit Man
    When my wife and I went to work in Canada in 1984 , we found the price of beer to be a severe culture shock and we really liked our beer. We took to brewing our own, by the time we left to return to the states in 1991 we were brewing in fifty five gallon batches, the only thing besides beer in our garage was a BMW motorcycle, there wasn't room for anything else. When we left Ontario for points south we gave all the equipment and a considerable amount of really good beer to friends who I'm sure have consumed it all by now. We have often thought to start brewing again, but we come to our senses and let it pass as it was like guns, reloading and casting ... Extremely addictive as a hobby .

I had some brew last night.
    Another all grain brewer here. I love the savings. I can buy enough grain to make 12 cases of premium handcrafted brew for about the same cost as buying 4 1/2 cases of bud light. Especially when you harvest the yeast. The yeast gets expensive if you have to buy new every batch.

I started with beer about 4-5 years ago and moved into wine. Right now I have 10 gallons of beer (2 kinds) and 40 1/2 gallons of wine (4 kinds) finishing out.

Ghosthawk, from what I know and from reading on wine making and distiller forums, there is absolutely nothing illegal about freezing your booze. Distilling is where it gets VERY illegal.
    Last edited by reloader28; 01-08-2015 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Never brewed any beer but I am enjoying a nice crown and coke now.
    Lab

Sorry, I dont want to hijack a thread, but this reminded me that my wife is selling bottle caps for her water bottling company.
    They are changing colors and want to get rid of these silver caps. These will fit pry off and twist off and are oxy barrier caps. Very good caps.
    I've been selling them for her on Homebrewtalk forum for $14/500 shipped.

I know this aint the place, but if anyone is interested, dont bother posting here, just shoot me a PM. Paypal or money order.

Moderator Emeritus

Reason I am only going 1 gallon beer batches now, most good brew stores sell kits and they can be tweaked to what I want with a few added grains, different yeast etc. Looking for a small kegging system though.

Quote Originally Posted by Grendl View Post
    When my wife and I went to work in Canada in 1984 , we found the price of beer to be a severe culture shock and we really liked our beer. We took to brewing our own, by the time we left to return to the states in 1991 we were brewing in fifty five gallon batches, the only thing besides beer in our garage was a BMW motorcycle, there wasn't room for anything else. When we left Ontario for points south we gave all the equipment and a considerable amount of really good beer to friends who I'm sure have consumed it all by now. We have often thought to start brewing again, but we come to our senses and let it pass as it was like guns, reloading and casting ... Extremely addictive as a hobby .
    Last edited by MaryB; 01-09-2015 at 01:27 AM.

Anyone here use honey powder instead of sugar/honey? They sell it at an Asian food store near here and I was considering using that.
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Mary B-look at Williams Brewing in line. Think they still offer 1.25 gal. Kegs, European style kegs. Used them 20 years ago. Not a bad system. Used in Europe at lost. Buy a keg to take home. PM me if u can't find them and ill do some research. We're on our winter trip and I don't have my library w/me.
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

I just looked at those kegs. VERY cool.
    1.75 gallon in stock.

I currently use 2.5 & 5 gallon Pepsi kegs. More expensive, but the 2.5 gal are great for outings and fit in the frig ez.
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

I love to make Dopplebocks and Schwarzbiers sweet and malty

I've dabbled in small batch all grain brewing. Mainly do country wines (fruit stuff) from fruit I've got around here. I've got pears, cherries, and blackberries all over my property. Family has blueberries and apples so I have a good amount of fruit just sitting around.

Boolit Master

I home brew beer only....people who have tried it say its very good beer. I usually brew in 5 gallon batches...got a batch maturing now. My taste runs to the darker beers. I also grow my own hops.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Buddy
    We make wine, have a small vineyard in fact. But no beer 'cause my water is full of iron. Know a spring or two that we can get water from though.

Got a question, couple decades ago, at a different house, I made lots of beer from grain. Couldn't get syrup or dry malts to taste good. Is that still the case or are they better now? I'd like to make a few gallons of Oatmeal Stout and an IPA.

Appreciate any tips.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

I use the all grain brew in bag method 5-12 gallon batches . Made my own grain mill sort of like a monster mill. Just got hops going last year . So this year maybe Ill get some . I planted two each rhizomes of Cascade, Willamette, Hood River and Fuggles . Ive been using the GW Domestic 2 row from Morebeer.com . They have pretty good prices and ship quick.

i have brewed quite a bit . i too prefer a darker beer like a porter .. have tried a distilling brew worked out also , no longer do that , when i moved to nevada havent tried to brew since , lots of craft brew restaraunts here
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

You can get good dry extract. I usually do partial grain with dry malt extract. I prefer high gravity beers.
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Buddy
    Don't recall having tried grain in a bag, sounds interesting though. Still have the old hand crank grain mill, might even have the wort chiller around here somewhere. Probably try a partial like pjames32 suggested for the first batch or two with dry malt before attempting all grain again. Now need to dig up some of the old books and recipes and refresh my memory on this stuff.

Thanks
    Last edited by ol skool; 01-10-2015 at 08:38 PM.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Banned
    Does homebrew include moonshine? Is it legal to make moonshine for your own consumption?

Boolit Buddy
    Nope. Seems dumb since a fellow can make 200 gallons of wine or beer a year and in this state we'll be able to grow 4 weed plants this summer. But no hooch...

I wonder why it's the gubmint's business how much or what I make for myself or my family. But too old to spend time in an orange jump suit. Just wouldn't fit this mouth breathing knuckle dragger physique too well.
    Last edited by ol skool; 01-11-2015 at 12:10 AM.
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Bub
    I have been brewing for several years. Like most I started with extracts and moved to all grain. Both can make exceptional beers. I have to agree with coyote3, consider kegging ASAP! I bottled for 2 years before kegging and now I wouldn't consider bottling again.

The neighbors really haven't figured me out. Probably due to the hops growing in the back yard, brewing beer in the garage, and the constant shooting.