Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hodgdon equivalent for blue dot?

Boolit Buddy

hodgdon equivalent for blue dot?

Hey all. I am getting down to the last of my blue dot. Alliant powder seems to be as easy to get ahold of as hens teeth. Everyone I have talked to says that Hogdgon powders are way easier for them to get ahold of. I was wondering if anyone had any idea if there is another alternative to blue dot. I use it pretty much in my .357 mag loads. I also use it in reduced loads in .223 and .308 due to the economy of it and that it is so versatile in .223. The .357 mag and .223 loads are the ones I really care about. Any ideas?
    Quickshot

Boolit Master
    How about an equivalent for 2400 in my 308?

Boolit Master
    Other folks may be more knowledgeable than I in this regard, but it appears to me that the Hodgdon offerings with a similar burn rate to Blue Dot are all ball powders. I'm not so sure any could be considered a replacement for Blue Dot.

Boolit Buddy
    My next question would be as long as the burn rate is very close would it matter if it was a ball or flake or extruded powder? I just can't imagine that it would make that much of a difference.
    Quickshot

If this helps or not, here is the burn rate chart from Hodgdon: https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Burn%20Rates%20-%202014-2015.pdf

Boolit Master
    Extrapolation of powder is a bad idea. How about looking in 2 or 3 reputable, published load data sources for comparable loads- velocities, pressures, load details, etc.

Boolit Buddy
    That's the thing. There is no published load data for my blue dot loads. Only information I have is from James Calhoon's website and personal correspondence with a gentleman who goes by "seafire" on several forums who has done extensive testing and load development. I was wondering if anyone else might have gone down this road before and could have some advice.
    Quickshot

Banned

There is so much published data available for Blue Dot, why resort to such data? 4227 could work.

Boolit Master
    I use a fair bit of hs6, not real clean and not quite the same but in stock at grafs.

Boolit Master
    I thought I would pass this along for what it's worth. When I ran out of BD I switched to HS-7 for .357 and worked up a load I liked with 358156. When HS-7 ran out I switched over to a big jug of surplus AA#7 and worked up another load I liked. None of them 'top end' fire breathing dragons, but more than adequate. So, here is what I wanted to pass along; HS-7 was not good in bottle neck rifle cartridges. In fact it was down right scary. Click,... . . ., boom. Repeatable. Swore off that REAL quick. Too many other good options to pursue that. That was quite a few years ago.

When Felix was still with us, he put me off onto VV N105, N110 as alternates in that arena. Good powders, but a little more pricey than the other stuff. And they work in other applications (center fire 22s with real boolits). Ya jest gotta be savvy about yer doin'. Or like Foghorn Leghorn said, "Pay, I, I, say pay attention, son."

I'm still using surplus AA#7 in midrange .357, because it's a whole bunch cheaper.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't shoot all THAT much .357 mag so I am not that concerned with that caliber. It is mainly for the centerfire rifles.

@jmortimer- I apologize for the murkyeness of the last post. I meant load data for the centerfire rifles. If you have a source for blue dot in those rifle calibers I would love it if you could point me to it!
    Quickshot

try this link it may help you decide what to do, but my two cents i would go with HS6 its a slower powder like blue dot.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handlo...quivalents.asp

MR O
    Remember sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    I thought I would pass this along for what it's worth. When I ran out of BD I switched to HS-7 for .357 and worked up a load I liked with 358156. When HS-7 ran out I switched over to a big jug of surplus AA#7 and worked up another load I liked. None of them 'top end' fire breathing dragons, but more than adequate. So, here is what I wanted to pass along; HS-7 was not good in bottle neck rifle cartridges. In fact it was down right scary. Click,... . . ., boom. Repeatable. Swore off that REAL quick. Too many other good options to pursue that. That was quite a few years ago.

When Felix was still with us, he put me off onto VV N105, N110 as alternates in that arena. Good powders, but a little more pricey than the other stuff. And they work in other applications (center fire 22s with real boolits). Ya jest gotta be savvy about yer doin'. Or like Foghorn Leghorn said, "Pay, I, I, say pay attention, son."

I'm still using surplus AA#7 in midrange .357, because it's a whole bunch cheaper.
    I have a few pounds of HS-7 left. I have never found a good load for 357 or 44 magnum. The only thing I use it for is heavy magnum lead shot 12 gauge loads. If you have a good load for 357 I would be interested in it. I am always looking for ways to use it.

As for the op, I would be using 2400 in those applications.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quickshot View Post
    My next question would be as long as the burn rate is very close would it matter if it was a ball or flake or extruded powder? I just can't imagine that it would make that much of a difference.
    As someone else mentioned, ball powder can be harder to ignite and is much less forgiving in low density loads than Blue Dot which is a flake powder. You can find success with a Hodgdon ball powder in your 357 Mag but I would not suggest using this same powder in a 308 or 223. Sometimes, there is no direct replacement for a specific powder. 4227 would probably come closest to fulfilling your needs.

Hodgdon Long Shot would be somewhat similar in the 357 and may be available at you LGS; at my LGS the magnum shot shell powders have been in stock when the powder shelves were empty. Would not try it in the 223.

Boolit Master
    Blue dot and HS-7 are very close, both starred in the days of heavy duck loads with lead shot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    As someone else mentioned, ball powder can be harder to ignite and is much less forgiving in low density loads than Blue Dot which is a flake powder. You can find success with a Hodgdon ball powder in your 357 Mag but I would not suggest using this same powder in a 308 or 223. Sometimes, there is no direct replacement for a specific powder. 4227 would probably come closest to fulfilling your needs.

^^^^^^ This right here!!!!
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

H4227 has worked pretty well in my 303 Brit. I'm sure it would work in the 223 as well but don't try cycle the action with it. I have used a similar powder (MR200) in a mini-14 which would eject a case but not pick up a fresh round. Velocity was pretty good too, right up with more 'normal' powders. That was a top end load which I didn't like. Too warm and a double charge was quite possible! I would not use it without a powder positioner, i.e. Dacron. Others might think differently. It might not work so well in lighter 357 loads (unburned kernels).

H4227 burns clean in the Brit even at very low load densities and pressure.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Quote Originally Posted by GaryN View Post
    I have a few pounds of HS-7 left. I have never found a good load for 357 or 44 magnum. The only thing I use it for is heavy magnum lead shot 12 gauge loads. If you have a good load for 357 I would be interested in it. I am always looking for ways to use it.

As for the op, I would be using 2400 in those applications.
    It's great for top end and plus P 38 special loads (357 length).
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmm. I just glanced in the Lyman's 48th I keep on my desk and there are Blue Dot loads for all bullet weights, cast and jacketed, above 120 grains. There are other powders listed that run within 25 fps (155 gr. cast bullet) at starting loads. Should be easy to check your reloading manual for a load that is near to your favorite Blue Dot load...
    My Anchor is holding fast!