Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Gun prices online vs local dealer markup

Boolit Master
    There is not a real pawnshop around me that I know of closer then 2 hours. They do not have guns or an ffl. Gun shops are going the way of the Dodo up here. The only new ones popping up are box stores like Walmart and Runnings, perhaps a Dicks sporting goods.

Try having insurance for an underwater diving crew. Some here may feel like they are better then others but from my outlook I enjoy sharing stories and asking advice from all of you. I do not feel above or below anyone. Lets keep the thread enjoyable.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I don't pay any transfer fee. I've dealt with the same guy for 25 yrs. I buy about as many from him as I have transfered to him so he doesn't charge me a transfer fee.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Moderator Emeritus

Last time that happened at my LGS my gun dealer let all the regs know we had to hold a guy, he had him redo paperwork and while his head was down 7 guns came out and he was told to get on the floor. Cops got there and all they had to do was haul him, the guys zip tied his hands behind his back. He had 7 different sets of ID on him and was wanted for identity theft from local fitness places. There are always 3-4 of the regulars sitting around drinking coffee and BSing

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    It's more than five minutes of paperwork here. I'm usually there about 30 minutes. I fill out the form electronically which takes five to ten minutes. Then there is the wait for the background check to clear. And then there is some chit chat. I usually end up looking at some guns he's trying to sell for people. Which are never available to buy on the spot because the owners always want them to go to auction.

The FFL is required to keep the bound book. They are required to store your firearm until you make the transfer. And let's not forget that everyone is not on the up and up. My dealer has told me of straw purchases, theft rings and restricted persons attempting to make the transfer. Do you want to make a few bucks when there is a convicted felon in your store/house and you're told to stall him until the cops arrive? I know I don't.

I'll stick my 2 cents in. Not a ffl holder or dealer, but like most other businesses, there are a lot of overheads, and unlike a lot of other businesses, the feds are in your business a lot. No way $25 would cover your costs to transfer your gun. Be glad, no ecstatic if you can get it done for that. But buy something from the LGS if you want them to continue to be there for you next time.

Boolit Master
    Many people Don't realize that Most on line store and big box store are connected to what is called" FulFillment". Unlike local or Mom & Pop who actually purchase all there items, own them , Finance them and sometime stuck with them. The other Big and Online are directly connected to the manufacture . To move inventory. You can tell a FulFillment when . is says. prices Higher in store. or any problems send back to manufacturer not to us.. it is just a matter of electronics. you click on line The order goes to the online store and to the factory @ the same time. When you pay, your payment goes to the store and the cost of that Item directly to the man. . The commission for the store stays with the order co. No inventory , No overhead , No problem. also major co. in most co subsidize there website. Only the retail price changes. this even goes with special purchases. The bigger on line store the deeper the discounts. . LGS and Other can not Or no longer compete. Unless you have extremely good credit with your distributer it is cash on delivery. also Big store do not deal with Distributers. all factory direct.. I have worked in The printing and FulFillment for 30 Years. Even with supermakets, clothing , auto , everything on line is Factory direct
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy

Getting back to the original post, I get the best prices at my two of my local gun shops. One of them does transfers for me at $10.00 a pop. He'll also steer me to the best price online if I'm looking for something in particular the he doesn't have. Granted, I've been dealing with him since he opened, and have helped him get things going right. (I used to be in the gun business many years ago) He's more interested in getting people shooting than he is in the money. He's just good people. I just wish I could get him to branch out into reloading. I've purchased more guns FROM him than I have THROUGH him. I'm rarely looking for anything specific, and he just comes up with some really cool guns that beg to go home with me. When he can get deals on guns, he buys a bunch, and passes the savings on to his customers.