Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coronary bypass surgery

Moderator Emeritus

Snuffy, It is good to hear....sounds like Christmas will take on a special meaning for you and your family....may you have a blessed and magical Christmas....your Cast Boolit Family does care not only for you but all of our members and our families!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Great news. Get strong. After 2 heart procedures and a pacemaker I'm a believer!

Moderator Emeritus

Great news and home with family too!

Boolit Buddy

I am glad too hear that your are doing well... Follow the advise of your Doc!!!. And take the follow-up Physical Therapy, it will do you good... I wish you well in your recovery.. MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your family!!!!

Some of us are hard-headed when it comes to taking care of ourselves and listening to what our body is telling us..

I had 2 previous minor heart problems, stints took care of them.... those were 15 and 18 years ago... Then in early Jan/Feb/Mar of 2013 I was having some minor chest pains off and on, kept saying it was nothing to worry about.. My wife made an appointment with the cardiologist ... Went straight to the hospital from the doc's office, checked in and did a little testing and up to the operating room I went... 16 hours later I woke up with tubes sticking out of me... Night nurse asked how I felt and told her I feel fine.... Had a quad-bypass (4), all 3 major arteries on the front of my heart and 1 on the back side of my heart... I feel great today and have followed the Doc's advise mostly... Doc tells me that I am good for another 30 years at least, just don't know about that, 98 years old sounds really old to me..

Take care of your self, spend good times with family and live each day to the fullest.
    Last edited by starreloader; 12-23-2014 at 12:27 AM.
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

Boolit Master

Thanks for the best wishes, everyone. Got some great rest last night, talked them out of using that darned compression leg squeezer so I slept well. Still deciding if I can go home. My son will be down to get r home care. , then take care of me till I'm able to do it for myself. Nephew will also help. Son is a paramedic so he's a plus for home care.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Good news, Snuff Man! Hang in there...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Outstanding!! Merry Christmas.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Bub

Snuffy in 93 I had 5 bypasses since then I've gotten 14 stints couple about every 2 years most are in the bypasses. you will be all right either way. youare in my prayers

Boolit Master
    Good news Snuffy,
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

Home at last! Left Milwaukee at 4:00, about a 1.5 hour drive. Feel pretty good, I tire easily, mostly out of breath. Thanks for all the well wishes and especially the prayers. Just in time for the birthday of our lord and savior, without whose comfort and healing grace I could NOT have gone through this.

As for the procedure, wow, just WOW. To say it is painful is a vast understatement. Especially mine. The surgeon said my chest and ribs are unusually thick, so spreading the brisket was more hard to do. This caused muscles inside the left ribcage were torn, reacted by spasming, so it hurt very bad to breath. They had to go with 3 powerful pain killers and an anti spam drug for the first post-op day. And a mist mask with 100% oxygen, he had operated on one other barrel chested men, they had the same problem. The operation took 7 hours, it was supposed to go a max of 4 hrs. The small artery was a challenge, he termed it "marginal" as to the possibility of doing it at all.

The leg vein used on the 2 bypasses was harvested via endoscopic surgery instead of open vein harvesting. The incision is just below the knee on the right leg, about 1.5 inches long. The endoscope has a tiny camera on the tip, the PA follows the vein up the inside of the leg disconnecting the perifial branches, then cutting it loose from the upper leg. It is just a bit sore along where it ran under the skin. Others have said the open vein harvest cut was more painful than the saw cut in their sternum. For me that sternum is fine as long as I don't move! Coughing, laughing,reaching out to grab something all are hard to do. My heart shaped pillow is my best friend when trying to cough up the flem and **** that accumulate in the lungs. It'll be 2-3 months before it's heale.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

In Remembrance

I still have nerve damage on my foot below the bottom incision for vein removal done same as yours. I no longer notice it for the most part. Much less pain that way in comparison to what my brothers experienced ( four of them). They all had open incision.

Great news and Merry Christmas!
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Boolit Master

Well a bit of a set back. Getting up to go to an appointment at the Appletown clinic Wednesday morning, I had a stroke. Rushed to the local community hospital by ambulance got me treatment fast. A small stroke evolved only the right side arm and vision. Speach also. Recovery is almost complete, just waiting for doctors to say its ok to go home. More tests to go for tomorrow, another cat scan. Maybe another mri. Pt as well. A hospital is a lousy place to spend Christmas!

Perma-Banned

Glad to hear you are going to be better and that you are in amazingly good spirits.

Prayer will continue.

Just a minor setback to test ya snuffy. You got what it takes so keep going and give it the good fight.

My prayers are with you and they have never let me down.
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Moderator Emeritus

Speed bump on the road to recovery! And yes hospitals are no fun at Christmas, I spent Christmas 2008 there with a massive leg clot.

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear of your setback Snuffy. This too shall pass. Hang in there. I know that transient clots are not uncommon following surgery; particularly leg surgery. Thanks to blood thinners and anti-coagulants, this problem is short-lived.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

Coronary bypass surgery

Merry Christmas and listen to the docs. Take it easy during recovery- I was getting stir crazy after my 5 bypass surgery. Sorry to hear about the setback. Hopefully you will be at home recovering in no time.
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Master

They kicked me out of the hosp. today, early afternoon. Beginning a blood thinner regimen, coumidum (rat poison).

The stroke was a TIA. Minor in that it only affected my right arm and vision, (double vision.) Minor in that it has completely reversed, I was lucky. I DON'T believe in luck! I DO believe that the Lord was teaching me an important lesson, to trust in him for all things.

That is one of the most scary things that I have ever experienced. Like my body was at war with me. Sort of like being extremely drunk, but losing control of just one part!

Perhaps I will get some sleep, hospitals are all noisy at night, this one was no different.

Boolit Master
    Hi Snuffy.Glad to hear that you are doing well.Had my tripple on 6-1-08.Thankfully no pain to speak of.Easy recovery.Did my own physical rehab.By the end of the first week,I was back to driving myself around.By the end of the second week,I was back to cutting,hauling,busting with a 12 lb maul and stacking my winters supply of firewood,Hehehe.When I told my cardiac surgeon what my regimen was,wellllllllllllllllllllllll lets just say his jaw hit the floor.Oh yea.While in the hospital,sprung an internal leak and had to rushed back to the OR for a grand reopening.I crashed to boot.Had my surgery at UT Medical Center in Knoxville Tn.Great folks there too.Rekon the Big Boss upstairs wasn`t ready for me to come home yet.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo