RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Drill and Tap Lyman or Midway heater for a Lyman 45 or make an adapter plate?

Drill and Tap Lyman or Midway heater for a Lyman 45 or make an adapter plate?

Last week I managed to be the winning bidder for both a Lyman Lube heater and a Midway Lube heater.

Only two mounting holes line up on the base of my Lyman 45 on either one so I'll need to drill and tap another two.

Looks like the heating element sits on top of the aluminum plate on the Midway but, its inside on the Lyman plate.

I'm leaning towards using the Midway since the temp is adjustable and it looks like I wouldn't risk damaging the heating element by drilling it.

Is the heating element on the Lyman through out the whole plate or just along the back where the cord goes in? If its in the back than drilling the front shouldn't be a problem.

Could I drill and tap either on the front of the plate without damaging the elements or, should I make an "adapter" plate that bolts to either heater and is drilled for the base of the Lyman?

Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master
    I only use 2 bolts to hold my Lyman on e heater- hasn't ever been an issue. Do you really need more than 2 bolts?

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I only use 2 bolts to hold my Lyman on e heater- hasn't ever been an issue. Do you really need more than 2 bolts?
    I hadn't tried it yet, I just figured I'd better use all four holes. I guess I could give it a try.

Boolit Buddy
    This from the Lyman FAQ at http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/f...et-casting.php

"Q: Can I use this for the old style 45 sizer?
    A: There are no mounting holes drilled for the 45, however you can drill into it as long as you stay away from the heating element-this goes in straight from the cord. "

Quote Originally Posted by darkroommike View Post
    This from the Lyman FAQ at http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/f...et-casting.php

"Q: Can I use this for the old style 45 sizer?
    A: There are no mounting holes drilled for the 45, however you can drill into it as long as you stay away from the heating element-this goes in straight from the cord. "
    Great! Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    I just use a shop clip on light with a 60W bulb to heat my Lyman 450 sizer/lubricator and it
    works great! Pretty cheap @ $4.95 for the fixture and $0.50 for the bulb. Lasts a long time
    too!
    358 Win

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 358 Win View Post
    I just use a shop clip on light with a 60W bulb to heat my Lyman 450 sizer/lubricator and it
    works great! Pretty cheap @ $4.95 for the fixture and $0.50 for the bulb. Lasts a long time
    too!
    358 Win
    Better stock up on those incandescent bulbs. They'll be illegal in 2 years.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

I made an adapter plate for my 45 to bolt on a 1980s lyman heater.

Still held to the heater with just 2 bolts.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman_Heater_IMG_2304.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	124608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyman_Heater_IMG_2303.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	124609
    After reading posts here, thanks darkroommike, I decided to drill my Lyman Heater for my 45 sizer.
    Turned out great and the heater still works. One odd thing I noticed is that my two 45's have
    different size holes. My original which I purchased new in the early 60's has three holes size 10 and the other one, front-right corner is larger which matches the smaller original holes in the the heater. The other 45, not sure of what age since I purchased it used, has all four holes larger. I used the front right original hole
    and drilled and tapped three new holes for 10-32 screws. I also sometimes use a Saeco sizer which has matching holes on the heater. For many years I've been clamping the 45's to the heater but now they will screw on like just fine. Go figure that Lyman would make holes for the Saeco but not the best sizer of all, the 45.
    ​Don
    NRA
    Benefactor Member