Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Another Propane Tank Melting Pot!

Another Propane Tank Melting Pot!

I finally got around to cutting an old propane tank I had sitting around. After reading several posts on here about what to and what not to do, I finally made some time to give it a go. I opened the valve and let the gas evacuate, then I filled it completely full of water thru the open valve. While it was full of water I drilled a hole in the side to give it a bigger hole for breathing and let it drain. While I was drilling I ran water over the drill bit so as not to create any sparks, just in case. I then let it set outside for about 3 weeks. When I finally got back around to it, I rigged a pipe up to the exhaust on my lawn tractor and pumped it full of exhaust holding my finger over the open valve so I could feel the pressure. After I was satisfied with the buildup, I then expanded the drilled hole so I could get a jigsaw blade in there. I then proceeded to cut above the seam using it as a guide.

After all that, I decided I needed some handles, so I found an old bent fence post I had laying around and fashioned up some handles.

I know it isn't anything to write home about but it gets the job done. I put it to the test this past weekend and melted a little less than half bucket of COWW and poured 50 lbs of ingots. I am pretty sure my neighbors think I am crazy! It was only 20 F outside while I was out there working, but I don't care!
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Buddy
    You don't sound crazy to me!

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    You mean every body doesn't melt their scrap lead when it's twenty degrees outside ?????

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Moderator Emeritus

Perfectly normal to me..

Boolit Master

I don't have WW to clean up(I refuse to use the descriptively inaccurate term "smelt") any more but when I did, I would lose as much a 5 lbs during a long session on a 90º+ day here in Tennessee. Sub freezing might be a stretch but a cooler day would have been welcome.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

1911KY;
    It looks like you did a REALLY nice job! I am a bit leary of cutting a propane tank (safety reasons) there is NO question that they make a FINE container for melting lead. In fact, I would probably rate them at the top, regardless of cost, if you are using a common fish fryer (I do).

Dale53

No surprise that I sound normal to my fellow lead heads!!!

Thanks Dale, I was a little leary about it myself but I figured if others can do it safely, so can I. I thought running water over the drill bit while drilling was overkill, but better to be too safe than sorry. I am just surprised that the rotten egg smell doesn't really go away. Maybe after a few melts it will. I kept the top half, may explore making a bottom pour melter out it one day.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Master

I remember a few years ago when it got all the way down to 18 degrees here. Killed my Bugenvillea, dang it...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

There was a cold snap here recently, but it has since warmed back up to reasonable temps.
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

im glad im not the only crazy one here, our ez-up got blown over and bent up pretty bad on vacation and wasn't so easy to setup anymore, so when I got home and unpacked the trailer, I set it up over my smelting area.my wife said I was crazy because I was out there today in the rain casting away. I even put a 2x4 across the top to hang clip on lights off to extend my sessions

Banned
    Nice job cutting. Is the bottom rounded? Hard to tell. Most guys, myself included, cut a 2"-3" ring from the left over top & weld it to the bottom for some stability...sorta like a cradle.
    And yeah if I recall, it took 2 or so melts for the smell to go away on mine.

Happy casting

Boolit Grand Master

It looks like you made a nice smooth cut. You will enjoy that pot for years.