RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Does Anyone Prime on Their Single Stage Press Anymore???

Great history. I didn't try to bend the original (which may still be 'round here somewhere), but used a length of (probably) drill rod (O-1). I used a bench vise and a section of black iron pipe for the job. The handle (and all the others that I neurotically make for all my presses) makes the operations all so much more effortless. The length of the handle = the leverage (speed) of the ram. I've made three for the CoAx and for the RC. The ball ends are from MSC, the industrial materials supplier.

Boolit Master

For whatever reason you all have me wondering... I've been priming on a rockchucker since 1980 and honestly never thought about an "improved method". I just thought it the way the was way Most did it on a single stage. So with being said and the fact that I'm a handgun shooter right now I handle each piece of 3 times. If I was going to use a RCBS or other bench top primer device would I save time by handling the brass a 4th time? Meaning are these bench top machines a real big improvement for the actual priming step.
    Jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jeepyj View Post
    For whatever reason you all have me wondering... I've been priming on a rockchucker since 1980 and honestly never thought about an "improved method". I just thought it the way the was way Most did it on a single stage. So with being said and the fact that I'm a handgun shooter right now I handle each piece of 3 times. If I was going to use a RCBS or other bench top primer device would I save time by handling the brass a 4th time? Meaning are these bench top machines a real big improvement for the actual priming step.
    Jeepyj
    IMHO, no. As long as you are using carbide dies, size on the upstroke and prime on the downstroke.

A turret press could really speed things up, though...
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I have had a Lyman Spartan single stage press for more years than I care to remember, but these days I only use it to size/gas check bullets and flare case necks.

All other operations are carried out on my Lee Classic turret press, including priming, which is much safer with the Lee safety primer feed than the old, tube fed Lyman system.

ukrifleman

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepyj View Post
    Jeepyj
    Hi,
    If you use a single stage press with a loading block,I would say yes, the RCBS Bench Primer is the cats meow! The "feel" is excellent and it is quick in operation,just a real good mousetrap!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    I don't see the need for another step. Decap and size on the downstroke and prime on the up. On my Lee turret press I only handle the straightwall case twice because I rotate the turret to expand after prime and then back. It cuts time considerably.

I have found that if my press is adequately lubricated, it presents a contamination hazard to primers.

Then, I don't sense that most folks lube their machinery, so it's not a problem.

(It's amazing what a couple of drops of Way Oil will do to "lighten the load" on the handle. This should tell one much.)

I picked up an obsolete LEE Auto Prime II for my press priming of 577-450.converted 24 gauge shell's.
    I have it set so the primer seat's at the very top of the stroke

Boolit Man
    I quit priming on the press whether it was single state or progressive. I now follow this procedure. Deprime brass, tumble
    clean, clean primer pocket and flash hole, inspect brass, prime on
    an RCBS bench priming tool. I can feel the primer seat and reject
    those that are loose or don't seat well. I then put the case upside
    down on a wheel with vertical dowels. I then spray lube the cases
    on the wheel, let them dry, and put them in a sealed container.
    When I am ready to load them I feed them into a Dillon 650 with
    the decapping/expanding pin removed from the sizing die. The next die
    is a Lyman M type neck expanding die. I moved the powder measure to the third station. The fourth station is a Hornady seating die that is set to not crimp. The fifth station is a crimping
    die. This process was set up after 55 years of making all the mistakes I could during reloading. Now it is painless. Oh, I added
    a bright LED light to the fourth station so I can inspect the powder
    level before I put a bullet in the case. If i am lazy I get 400 rounds
    an hour from the press. If I am motivated, I get 600 rounds an hour. It makes the whole process smoother to do the priming before loading cases into the progressive press. Sorry for the long
    winded explanation.

Boolit Grand Master

I just loaded a couple hundred 38 Specials on my TrueLine Jr. priming on the press. I've done it both ways, and usually use the RCBS hand primer seater, but this was fun and going back to the old way.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Ditto what ▲▲▲ he said!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

No, I don't have that much EXTRA time....besides I use a Dillon.