Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone Prime on Their Single Stage Press Anymore???

Boolit Master

Does Anyone Prime on Their Single Stage Press Anymore???

Hi,
    I just found another RCBS JR3 single stage press again. I had one that I completely rebuilt that was in pretty rough shape cosmeticly but good working condition. Shown below!

I guess I did to good a job because my buddy across the street from me begged for it as he is just starting to reload.

I actually missed it (did I say I like old RCBS presses?) I had it set up to prime on the press and enjoy that when reloading rifle sometimes! Now it was gone so found another and will have to scroung everything again to get a complete system up.

Just wondering if people still enjoyed priming on the press any more???
    Last edited by seagiant; 11-20-2014 at 08:28 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

In Remembrance
    I do nearly all of my priming on a press, either the hollywood, herters with a lee ramprime or rcbs. I have a lee hand unit, but for some reason seldom use it.

Boolit Master
    I prime on my Co-ax, very smooth and positive.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I load mostly on my Lee turret but I do have a RCBS JR3 and I love it. I mainly use it with a universal de-primer die to de-prime all of my brass and for sizing boolits. I'm now using it to reload 8 X 57 for my WWI German Mauser. As far as priming, I prime everything with my Lee Ergo Hand Primer. It all just works for me.

seagiant - I don't know what all parts are needed for the priming on a JR3 but I think I have some priming arms (if that's what they are called?) I know I'll never use them so let me know what you're looking for. If possible, maybe someone could post a picture on this thread of the priming parts needed for a JR3?

I love my JR3 and would be lost without it! It's just really handy for me and I'm sure will last my lifetime and several more.
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 11-20-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Do my priming on exactly what you have right there. Owned it since the late 70s.

When depriming I cut a short piece of plastic drinking straw and place it in the grove in the ram and it funnels the old primers right into the catch tray. The piece I'm using now actually fits up into the shell holder a little. Get you a straw and a pair of scissors and play with the length works pretty good.

Boolit Master

I prime on a LEE Challenger Press and I do everything else on the RCBS JR3 so I understand where you come from.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I no longer prime on the press. I use a Lee hand primer or and RCBS bench priming tool. I may have some of the parts you need.
    PJ

Banned

I have a few hand primers I use, but I also use the Lee Ram Prime with my hand presses and single stage presses. I really like the feel that the Ram Prime gives when seating a primer.

Boolit Master
    I do I hate primer tools

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Roosters,thanks for the tip!

Bedbugbilly,PM inbound!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

I'm about half on the RC press and the other half by hand using a pristine vintage RCBS Posi-Prime hand priming tool. It's a pleasure to hand prime with that tool.....

Bayou52
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Buddy
    I prime on single stages when making short runs. When testing new components or loads for new guns etc.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Boolit Man
    I prime on the press when I use my Lyman Tru-Line Jr or All-American. Just seems right. No longer prime on any of my single stages-use one of my RCBS bench mounted tools or a K&M hand tool. I also sometimes use one of the old Lee hand tools.

Boolit Master
    I'm still priming on a Lyman Spartan single stage press, mostly for rifles and one .380 ACP. If I was shooting a lot of brass like 9mm or .223 I would upgrade to a progressive.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Wait a minute.......whaddya mean? There's other ways to prime??

Actually I use an RCBS ram prime on my Rock Chucker for rifle ammo and an RCBS hand primer for any pistol ammo that my Dillon isn't set up for. I found out long ago that the ram prime was far easier to manipulate (for me anyway) than the priming arm on the Rock Chucker.

Boolit Mold
    I prime on my Forster Coax.

Boolit Mold
    Here's a couple of pics, priming on the press.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1416534389113.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1416534426280.jpg  

Boolit Master
    hi!...i'm mike and i'm addicted to the RCBS aps machine that primes all my brass!

Love Life
    I do.

Boolit Master

I do too
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia