RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wolf primers

Boolit Buddy
    Small rifle primers gave me a devil of a time. Commercial brass loaded ok, but military brass was a bugger. Even after removing the crimp quite a few just would not seat. Large pistol primers are good to go. Haven't used any others yet. Once seated they have all gone bang,

Boolit Master

I have never had an issue with them.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    I purchased some PMC back at the beginning of the scare and 5k Tula small pistol about last spring. I'm with the 2 of 10 ftf crowd. That would be in my Glocks and Sigmas. I now use them only in my Witness open gun and revolvers. They are just fine with the harder striking handguns.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used a bunch of Tula LR and LRM primers is hunting, varmint and 500m target rifles. The only misfires I've gotten were if I didn't seat them correctly. Magnum seems to mean harder cups rather than more powerful with the Russians. Most of my shooting is over the chronograph, which in my case, is an Oehler M33, so I grade the Tulas to be slightly less than CCI 200s, but more than R-P 9 1/2s. They, Tulas, seem to be consistent enough, though I prefer CCIs or W-W.for accuracy.
    I also try to shoot as much Steel Challenge, pistol competition as I can, and test powders and primers between events. Tula sp primers are as good and consistent as any I've tried from CCI, Federal, R-P, W-W and Fiocci. I've never had a misfire with ANY of them...during tests OR in competition.
    I'm still waiting for sr, though I've seen a lot of locals use them in BR competition.
    I've used quite a bit of the Tulas in several cast loads, and have had great rersults.
    Have fun,
    Gene

Boolit Master

I bought 2 cases each of SRP and LRP. I found their diameter to have more variance than our domestic types. I looked into it because I was having great changes in seating pressure on case to case. Some would slip right in feeling too loose and the next would be tight enough I would be double checking if it was deep enough.

The price was right when I bought them, they were $18 or so during the first panic.

The varying seating pressure is enough that I relegate them to last firing on brass before the recycle bin. As far as accuracy they were A OK.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    The only complaint I've heard from folks is that most of the ftf are from improper seating. Having said that, I've only had 2 ftf in the last 10k I've loaded mostly in .45 AP & .45 Colt.

Boolit Buddy
    I found the tula SRP to me more sensitive than say CCI. I never had a primer go bang in my press untill i started using them.
    I have found that when using my dillion vibritory primer sorter, the tula's aren't as round as the cci and after making it work with the tula i get some upsidedown primers when i go back to the CCIs......Maybe it's just the one i used. of the 15k tula primers i've shot once they are loaded they all go bang, just alittle more challange to load then when i use the CCIs.
    For the price difference of $2-3$ per thousand i prefer the CCIs...but when all that is available is tula i use them.

Boolit Master

With Wolf I was getting 1-2 FTF per 100 in my Taurus 44. Even after several strikes, the failed primers only had a shallow divot, as if they were much harder than the rest. I just use them for target loads.

Just started using Tula SP in my 357 Small pin Handi. They seem to be resisting primer flow and the subsequent lockup that I was getting with Winchester SP despite moderate loads. Haven't shot enough of them to tell anything about reliability yet.

I've shot quite a bit of factory Tula in my Saiga 223 and never had a FTF.

Boolit Master

Based on the generally good reports I got here, I bought 5 thou. I have about 500 loaded up, but haven't fired any yet. I do like the fact that they are a little more snug in the pocket, myself. I prime with a manual Sinclair tool, though. I think I paid 23 bux.
    Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Because of previous troubles with Wolf (Tula same thing) SP, I won't trust them. I have used LP & SR w/o issue, but in todays political climate, I prefer to NOT support the Putin regime to save a couple $$. Just me, but nothing wrong with CCI. If you want cheap & reliable & not Russian, S&B work fine too.
    Last edited by fredj338; 11-14-2014 at 04:26 PM.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Bought 30,000 Wolf LP primers when the Obaminator got elected the first time. Use them in cast loads in 308, 45/70 and 45acp. No problems whatsoever. Paid $18.00 a thousand from Grafs.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master
    Fredj338, I'm with you on not supporting the Russians with my dollars. I will pay $40-$50 for my primers and know that Puto can kiss my Azzzz.

Quote Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
    Fredj338, I'm with you on not supporting the Russians with my dollars. I will pay $40-$50 for my primers and know that Puto can kiss my Azzzz.
    That's the point though, no need to pay that much. S&B are about the same price as Wolf/Tula. Cci, not much more. Yeah it's a little thing, but if all of us did the little things, it makes a diff.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol