Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Wheel Weights

Boolit Mold

Wheel Weights

I've lived in California my whole life except fror the 4 years I spent in the US Navy. Someone told me that Lead based wheel weights have been banned in Cali for at least 10 years, is this true?
    Something about the environmental impact of lead wheel weights scattered all over the Cali roads and Highways. In my 45+ years of driving cars,trucks and motorcycles, I have never lost a wheel weight, and everybody I asked has never lost any either.
    Is California the only state that has banned lead WW?
    There sure are alot of Wheel Weight based recipes for various bullet alloys, that I can't use.

It seems that this State is trying to stop us from owning guns and using lead. I'm considering moving out when I retire, Nevada Keeps calling me............. Big Daddy Bruce (bdbruce)

Actually going on 4yrs now. So finding a lead ww is like finding an honest politician or intelligent Democrat, just very rare. You can google search but there are several states now banning the lead ww. Consequence, no more lead ww nationwide soon. Manuf are not going to make diff types for diff states.
    I will not retire here. I already have land in Montana, but there are a dozen good states to choose from. Lots of things to consider besides guns in retirement, like health care cost, taxes & weather, of course politics in general. Why I didn't buy land in Co or Or.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You can thank your lead-hungry CA condor for the lead ban. Gotta watch out for those helpless condors and owls and trees. Go out and give 'em a hug and kiss!

No ban in Michigan thus far. But the encroachments on our liberties do work their way east from the Peoples Republic of California.

I don't know how CA stays afloat. My son's father in-law just sold his home in CA and relocated his business in Colorado. He is only one of many who have gone to more business friendly states. Yet they keep passing more silly laws and raising taxes. It is a political version of the cold fusion scams - it appears to work - until it is more closely examined.

Boolit Master
    Calif is fd upped,they start all kinds of stupid stuff. What a shame. All the trendy stuff... Good and bad, starts there.

Boolit Bub
    ww are starting to get hard to find in Canada also. there are a few used ones that can be found but ordering new ones are getting hard to buy. it will only be a matter of time before they all get grabbed up and melted down. I have 1500lbs in 1lb bars ready to cast into bullets so I am set for life. happy casting.

They are still going strong in KY! If you can get shops to sale them to you! All the big chain places are on recycling programs and won't give them up.

If we could get all our good gun lovin folks out of CA, I propose we lay explosives every 10 ft down the border and blow that crazy state off into the pacific and let her float away!!!
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    Calif is fd upped,they start all kinds of stupid stuff. What a shame. All the trendy stuff... Good and bad, starts there.
    Or NY or NJ or any of the liberal meccas. We have great weather though!!!
    I do understand the haters on Kalif. I live here & I hate it, even the great weather.

To some extent it is market driven, Europe is where lead WW's have been banned for longer than Calif. or other US states. It just makes sense that manufacturers would want to use and source a unified part for their entire operation when possible. I think it is rare that a new car will have lead WW's from the factory, the only difference on a state by state basis is does that state allow tire repair with lead WW's.

And of course how many older vehicles are on the road with lead WW's that get removed when tires are replaced. Around here the dealers (working on newer cars) have almost no lead WW's in their buckets. Places that sell used tires that folks put on older cars tend to have more lead in their bucket.

As to the OP wanting to use WW recipes.
    One can purchase alloys that will allow one to come close. Rotometals antimonial lead is approx. same percentage of Sb as COWW's then add the .5% tin from solder, pewter etc. The only thing missing is the arsenic which really only matters if you are going to water drop or heat treat. In that case... purchase some shot for shotgun reloading it will have a touch of arsenic.

One can purchase WW's already cast as ingots from members in the Swapping and Selling forum. Typically around $1 a lb. last time I looked. A lot of people consider those ingots a better deal than running around collecting WW's, then sorting out the trash, steel, and zinc then melting their own ingots. I think that somewhat depends on ones supply of WW's and the local price to purchase them from tire stores or scrap yards. Hmmm bucket of whatever at 75 cents a lb. that I have to sort and dink with to make ingots vs. $1 a lb. for ready to cast and shoot.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 11-14-2014 at 05:12 PM. Reason: forgot about shot having arsenic

When Kalif banned the lead ww, I told everyone to start stacking it deep. It is the largest auto market in the US & **** legislation does migrate from here. Consider the avg life span of a set of tires is less than 3yrs, the lead ww will be extinct sooner than later.

Boolit Buddy
    you can also thank buckwheat an his klan for back door gore epa tactics of lead going away

Attachment 121867

Wave of the future, I think: