RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i bought powder!.....but am curious...(this is a jug question.)

Boolit Master

I've wondered the same thing as the OP. I've got several 8 lb'ers and none of them come close to filling the jug. I don't really care about uniformity of the containers. I would like to have 1 lb containers, labeled correctly, of the same powder as the 8 lb containers, so I could decant 1 lb at a time and not get out the big jug every time I wanted to charge the measure. I don't know what I could do about the surplus powders.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    I'm in Idaho so humidity is not a problem. I'm ocd enough to appreciate a row of consistantly sized powder jugs. If you're excited about powder densities Google the Lee dipper chart. Its kinda fascinating actually. I like that you're using actual labels from 1# cans. Attatch them well. Many of you so kindly share your experience of filling a paper bag from the barrel of 4831 at the hardware store. I'll wager those bags were not factory labled.

I buy in 8lb containers and fill up a 1lb to use until empty and then fill it up again... I do this just in case I do something stupid like have different powders on the table at the same time and accidentally put the wrong powder in, I wont waste an 8lb tub

Uniform cost of manuf. Powders range in density quite a bit, imagine swapping machinery to accept 3-4 diff use jugs. I keep 1# jugs around to refill from 8#. Most will hold 2# of powder.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    That's funny I'm OCD in the other direction, to avoid needless opening and exposing my 8lbers to air and mositure, I will open the 8lbers and fill my smaller 1lb bottles of powder(I NEVER re-lable I just use an empty of the same powder) then I use the 1lbers on the bench( as noted the 1 lbers in most cases hold nearly 2 pounds), so I'm not exposing my big 8 lb jug to air, every time I top off the powder measure or need to switch powders,

Less opening, less humidity gets to the powder Got to keep your powder dry

^^^^This.
    On another note---I had 2 one-pound cans of 4350 thrown in on a deal I made for some reloading equipment. No idea how old, or how it had been stored. When I opened them (still factory sealed) there was red dust. I threw the powder on the lawn and looked into the now empty cans. There was rust? inside so I chucked the cans as well, rather than using them as refillable. I did this as I did not know if the rust? would affect any "new" powder poured into that can. Anybody know if there was a chance that would happen?
    R.D.M.

Trail boss is a good example... It is so bulky they can only get 9 oz in a 1# container...........

Boolit Master
    Blackthorne decomposing powder looks like rust and I use it for fertilizer. When I ran an ordnance lab we had very special containers to put powders in. Some containers can spark. I don't put powder in any kind of container that did not come from the factory with powder in it.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by olafhardt View Post
    Blackthorne decomposing powder looks like rust and I use it for fertilizer. When I ran an ordnance lab we had very special containers to put powders in. Some containers can spark. I don't put powder in any kind of container that did not come from the factory with powder in it.
    Somewhat difficult to do in these times of powder shortages and impossible with surplus powders.

I sometimes use "non-powder" containers to avoid handling the 8 lb'ers especially when only loading a few rounds(less than 100). This may be risky because I don't know which containers can spark. Any suggestions?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    theses containers i used are the exact ones used by the powder company.

p.s. i saved all my 1 pound bottles to dispense from.

i have 2 dozen of those....i throw nothing away.

Boolit Master
    Yes I know. But the powder I threw out was in the original can! My question was whether the "rust" visible inside the can would promote deterioration in new fresh powder if it were stored in that can?
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blaser.306 View Post
    I think it comes down to a stocking issue? Carry 1 container that will receive a given volume of the bulkiest product and then put everything into it. Same goes for the outer cardboard boxes. Less sizes means less stock to carry. What you do with it when it is in your hands is your dilemma!
    Much easier for a manu to buy one size of jug for every powder as volume discount and stocking becomes an issue.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    That's funny I'm OCD in the other direction, to avoid needless opening and exposing my 8lbers to air and mositure, I will open the 8lbers and fill my smaller 1lb bottles of powder(I NEVER re-lable I just use an empty of the same powder) then I use the 1lbers on the bench( as noted the 1 lbers in most cases hold nearly 2 pounds), so I'm not exposing my big 8 lb jug to air, every time I top off the powder measure or need to switch powders,

Less opening, less humidity gets to the powder Got to keep your powder dry

^^^^This.
    On another note---I had 2 one-pound cans of 4350 thrown in on a deal I made for some reloading equipment. No idea how old, or how it had been stored. When I opened them (still factory sealed) there was red dust. I threw the powder on the lawn and looked into the now empty cans. There was rust? inside so I chucked the cans as well, rather than using them as refillable. I did this as I did not know if the rust? would affect any "new" powder poured into that can. Anybody know if there was a chance that would happen?
    Yes the residue of decomposed powder can hasten further decomposition of other powders with which it comes in contact.

Boolit Master
    I also need to add that an hour or so on google did not give any idea as to what is safe to use for re-storage. Here are some things I did learn: 1) Don't use glass. 2) Be sure the jugs totally block light. 3) Jugs should be of light weight material so they split before they explode when gas pressure builds up. Some years ago I read of reloads failing because the powder was stored in the plastic reservoir of the powder measure so don't automatically assume plastic is safe. So I am sorry but I haven't really found out much to tell you about to use. The lab containers were there when I got to the lab and this was over 40 years ago. One of our lab ovens blew up when a tech heated up a can of green beans for lunch without opening it.

Boolit Master
    my lots are of all the same lots per powder.

Moderator Emeritus

I know Red Dot almost fills an 8 pound jug. I need to find some 1 pound containers and split it up. I can make labels with lot # etc and glue them on for safe storage.

Boolit Master
    mozeppa, those shelves are screaming