WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marvel's Mystery uses

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    I liked it for a cold weather gun lube in AK and WY, even at 40 below action was never stiff.
    Good to know. Get's frigid around here too. One of the reasons I was asking.

So does anyone believe that the newer product is any better or worse than the older stuff from the red can?
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, wbrco, I used TCP, too, in aircraft engines and it works, too.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

I used to add it to the gas and pour it straight into the carb on my 72 Caprice with a 402 4 Barrel while reving it up to clean the carb. I don't know if it worked but the car always seemed to run better for me after that. I switched to SeaFoam later on but I love the smell of Marvel. I might buy some and try to concoct a rifle cleaner out of some.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

I use the stuff as a light lubricating oil. Any place I would use Rem-Oil or 3-IN-ONE Oil.
    Just as a general all- purpose oil. I used it to oil rams on loading presses and to clean and oil a large military field kitchen can opener. And for pocket knives, works well on oil stones for knife sharpening.
    My daddy used it in his boat motor, and would buy it by the gallon . He gave me 2 one gallon cans , so I filled some empty Rem-Oil dropper bottles and starting using it. Put some in a squeeze spray bottle and use it for big spray on applications. Cleaned the exterior of a few hand guns and military surplus rifles. 0000 steel wool soaked with MMO cleaned old gun metal and cruddy wood military stocks . Another thing is it doesn't smell bad.
    A gallon is about $15.00 at wallymart..... with 128 ounces to a gallon , that's a whole lot cheaper than any special gun oil. One ounce of Rem Oil is $2.00, a gallon would be $256.00!
    Gary

Boolit Buddy
    It is a good after run oil for model airplane engines. It seems to prevent the castor oil used in the 2 cycle fuel from becoming too sticky. Also prevents rust which can happen if the alcohol based fuel "gets" water and leaves it inside the engine. I have never tried on guns! New grounds for experimenting.
    Ed C

Boolit Master
    "Poorman's Kroil"

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using it since 1969 to lube my air tools like impact wrenches and air chisels. Use it in the air ratchets also. A little squirt in the air fittings and buzz it up a couple of times with a rag around the air exhaust and good to go.

Boolit Master
    i use standard marvel mystery oil in the air tools in my shop. been doing it for years. it helps if you have water in the airlines to keep the innards from rusting as well as lubricating the vanes and bearings. if you impact gun or other air tools are running a little slower than normal, a few drops in the ir inlet can work wonders.

I have run it in all my air cooled 4 stroke engines that did not have an oil bath clutch. I still use it for my VW Super Beetle and Ducati. I would put it in a good spray bottle and mist the top of the carb at WFO until she would stop smoking and the valves would quiet down. I have also used to it clean the packing from Non Rebuildable 2 stroke exhausts. Plug the Exhaust manifold side of the canister, then fill with MMO, and apply a heat gun. What poured out was not only no longer red, but poured like the molasses it looked like.
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Boolit Master

I have used it in my boat since 1990 the second year i had it as it was constantly stalling at an idle while trolling and a coworker suggested it and it helped a lot. I also use it in my small engine gas , the boat has a GM 4.3 liter V-6 .
    The lube version i have used on guns and airtools until i got a case of CRC for free and i have used that and will the next couple years until it is finished.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Puts too much unburned hydrocarbon load on the catalytic converters, causing the catalyst beds to overheat and burn off. Also, it monkeys with the fuel trim. If you have a fuel-injected engine, run only fuel injector cleaners designed to burn more completely in the engine, and then only as a last resort. Run a top tier fuel and change your fuel filter frequently and you'll likely never have injector troubles in a modern gas engine. Diesel engines need all the lubricity help they can get, I recommend running Stanadyne, Racor, or Power Service at double the recommended dose, EVERY tank of fuel.

Gear
    I have a buddy that had a big carb and injection shop and tuned race cars...he put me onto "Techtron" which comes in a black plastic bottle...said to add the recommended amount to the gas before the next oil change..said not to put it in the tank unless an oil change was coming up soon...said the Tectron really cleaned out the fuel system but did wash things into the crankcase and caused the oil to become contaminated...I've done that for a long time ... my 95 Suburban with the dreaded throttle body injection has 225K on it now...runs like a top....never fails to pass smog...going to try and get 300 K out of it...I've run MMO in other things but always directly in the oil...it's great on old antique engines that I restore..don't use it in guns...if I have a toughie in a gun setting I often use Kroil...my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I've been using it since 1969 to lube my air tools like impact wrenches and air chisels. Use it in the air ratchets also. A little squirt in the air fittings and buzz it up a couple of times with a rag around the air exhaust and good to go.
    Yup. It's all we use at the shop for air tools.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

Been using it for air tools for years, someone told me to try it in my riding mower and I might just give it a try.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance

Have a bottle on the bench right now for use on air tools, from hand tools up to 90lb. jackhammers.

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on Techron. When Porsche came out with fuel injection in 1969 they started
    recommending Techron fuel additive periodically to clean up the fuel injection. I
    have used it for years and it definitely is good stuff.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    a lot of rimfire benchrest shooters use a 50/50 mix of marvels and proshot for a very good bore cleaner great for getting those shiny barrels clean

Boolit Master

I use it for light lube jobs and for lubing my rifle brass for resizing and have never stuck a case in nearly 50 years of relaoding.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    "Poorman's Kroil"
    True.
    You can also use 50/50 ATF/acetone.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I don't want to hijack the thread - I do love MMO - but years ago at the range I watched a man with a T/C (.308, I think) lube each cartridge before chambering. He claimed it was to hard to extract if he shot them dry. I thought it would increase bolt thrust and might cause problems.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.