MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a poll: how to? for separate AR Form....

In Remembrance
    I don't come to this site for information on AR rifles.
    But, if I did, I would simply use the (new, improved) Google search feature to see what I could find.

Entering a simple "AR" (typed exactly that way) I got this page of results for the Cast Boolits website.
    http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0019512...%22&gsc.page=1

Anybody asking for a dedicated subforum because he can't find anything in the present configuration should probably be required to turn in his electronic devices to the computer police.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 10-29-2014 at 12:57 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

But we need a Group Buy Archive, which hasn't been posted in since August?

Boolit Grand Master
    You've heard the moderator's opinions. Time to call it, and also to understand the reasons special treatment extends to nobody here as a way of fairness to everyone. Otherwise there would be a new subgroup clamoring for equal time.....and site Balkanization runs amok.

Charlie, nice demo on how to search here. Didn't seem all that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    You've heard the moderator's opinions. Time to call it, and also to understand the reasons special treatment extends to nobody here as a way of fairness to everyone. Otherwise there would be a new subgroup clamoring for equal time.....and site Balkanization runs amok.

Looks like somehow you've been given the wheel. Another stunning revelation.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I can think of these things in refutation of the idea of having a special model specific forum, I guarantee you the moderators are two steps ahead of me as it's their job.

The stunning thing is that these arguments against are a revelation to you. If I can make these very logical observations simply from how the site is structured and run over time, you should also be able to do so. For whatever reason, you can't.

i presume you have never moderated a forum and don't understand the issues that are involved. I moderate elsewhere on the net. I empathize with those here because I can.

Boolit Grand Master
    You didn't read the disclaimer by the group buy archive. It is not intended for posting.

That is not something that can be complained about.

If I can think of these things in refutation of the idea of having a special model specific forum, I guarantee you the moderators are two steps ahead of me as it's their job.

The stunning thing is that these arguments against are a revelation to you. If I can make these very logical observations simply from how the site is structured and run over time, you should also be able to do so. For whatever reason, you can't.

i presume you have never moderated a forum and don't understand the issues that are involved. I moderate elsewhere on the net. I empathize with those here because I can.
    I'm sorry i can't determine any logic being used but It's clear to see the blatant denial of what some members want. However the forum is structured, doesn't dictate how the forum could evolve.
    No I have never moderated a forum, because it closely parallels control. That is something I have no taste for but sadly, a few here do.
    I'm not trying to break any rules or act defiantly, I'm simply trying to change something and if you know an alternate method of doing so, please feel free to interject. For that you seem quite adept.

Boolit Grand Master
    So we should have a forum for anything the members want?

We need a pewter forum. Most pewter is lead free and therefore doesn't belong in the lead alloy forum. I want to read about pewter and grow tired of needing to search all over for the info I want.

Yep, this argument is that silly.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master
    Apply this simple observation. In all the time this site has existed, they've never seen fit to introduce model specific forums for firearms.

Why is that so? Is it sheer chance it turned out that way, or was it a conscious choice? What reasons might they have for making such a decision? How likely are they to stick with that?

That should help in understanding if the thought process is followed through.

In Remembrance
    You're right, it's simple.

Next, we wait to find out if that ability to search for and find ten pages of AR-specific discussions right here on CB will satisfy minmax and FLHTC ... or if they are more about 'changing the site' than 'finding information'.

Quote Originally Posted by FLHTC View Post
    But we need a Group Buy Archive, which hasn't been posted in since August?
    Archived material (by definition) has been put away in case it's wanted later, not something to be changed, added to, or contested.
    It's also frowned upon if you scribble in the margins of the Encyclopedia at the library.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post

That only applies to those in the right clique apparently.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post

We need a pewter forum. Most pewter is lead free and therefore doesn't belong in the lead alloy forum. I want to read about pewter and grow tired of needing to search all over for the info I want.

Yep, this argument is that silly.

Maybe you're on to something there btroj! Since pewter got a few stickies maybe an cast in the ar could have one too??? I would be okay with that too. Just a starting point for everyone to read and discuss the common practices, issues involved, etc. I thank you for your suggestion, and second the motion for a cast in ar sticky thread in whatever forum the mods deem appropriate.
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    moonie.
    there wasn't enough interest for anyone to pm me or to even really ask a question.

I wrote a 4 post dissertation on shooting cast at 2800 fps with accuracy on par with jacketed in the Ar rifles and got crickets.
    in fact there is a high velocity with accuracy thread running right now with about 4 participants and about 6 watchers.
    we can't garner any interest in the most complicated thing we do in our hobby [shrug]
    I realize this is a post from earlier in this thread but I think it exemplifies the issue at hand. There are a LOT of people who want to cast bullets and shoot them . . . and that's it. Very few people have the knowledge, skill, and ability to make and shoot little tiny bullets very fast. I find such discussions very interesting, but realize that with my limited time and budget, it isn't for me. I would suggest that the average Ar-15 owner coming to the site for information would find such a thread to be of little use, when all they want to do to start with is make a bullet, reload it , and get their Ar to cycle. So citing this as a referendum on the interest in a general Ar-15 forum is not a reasonable position.

My suggestion in another thread was to create a "semiautomatic rifle" forum, to go with the levergun and single shot forums. It just makes sense.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    You're right, it's simple.

Next, we wait to find out if that ability to search for and find ten pages of AR-specific discussions right here on CB will satisfy minmax and FLHTC ... or if they are more about 'changing the site' than 'finding information'.

Archived material (by definition) has been put away in case it's wanted later, not something to be changed, added to, or contested.
    It's also frowned upon if you scribble in the margins of the Encyclopedia at the library.

CM
    Currently, there are 51 members in favor of the forum and 15 against. But you make it sound as though only two are interested. This is the exaggerated nonsense I made reference to in an earlier post. Lets talk about the rules in a library to explain the usefulness of a new forum.

Boolit Master

But specific sub-forums for casting equipment is allowed? Again, with a show of hands here on the forum from all the members, how many of them own Star Machine Tool reloader and casting equipment? I'm sure that it must be in the majority for a company that folded in the 90's to have their equipment still recognized on a daily basis on this forum.

Apply this simple observation. In all the time this site has existed, they've never seen fit to introduce model specific forums for firearms.

Why is that so? Is it sheer chance it turned out that way, or was it a conscious choice? What reasons might they have for making such a decision? How likely are they to stick with that?

That should help in understanding if the thought process is followed through.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

It's amazing how dense some people are. They fail to see the forrest through the trees. Comparing the AR platform to a specific brand of firearms is a poor analogy and is one of the worse arguments presented in any of the threads.

I made this suggestion in another thread. At least AR15, and other rifles like them, to the description of whatever forum is deemed the proper place. It is not apparent where they should go. They could be spread out over Military, Factory, Special Projects and Wheelguns/Pistols/Hand Cannons. If it was apparent which forum to post in it would solve a lot of issues. And of course there would be no need for a new forum so members won't get their panties in a bunch.

Boolit Grand Master

There are a lot of people that own Stars so that's not a good argument. I own one and know a lot of others do. This number is small when compared to the number that own AR15 type rifles. But there is a good percentage that own Stars.

Boolit Master

But Stars receive their own sub-forum in Casting equipment...Shouldn't there be in return of fairness be a subforum for LEE or Ideal...
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cmps_index.php?page=TOS

Go the bottom of this page and PM the admins and ask them rather than assume they we this thread. Pretty simple concept really, communicate effectively with those in charge. I can assured they don't spend hours per day reading every post.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master
    Apply post #90 to your thought processes. Past actions are a good predictor of future events.