RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Remington Model 7 MS

Boolit Master

Remington Model 7 MS

I have an affinity for Remington model Sevens. I really like the look of the Custom Shop model Seven MS (Mannlicher Stock) model, and might consider purchasing one in a 250 Savage in the near future. Does anyone own one of the these? What are the pros...cons...and prices.
    Jon

Boolit Master
    I have 2 Model 7's, but they are not the MS variety. I really like the rifles, and the compact size. Both are good shooters.

Don't know if this helps with any of your questions.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Had a used M7 20 or so years ago that would not extract as I recollect. It was a dandy rifle but the dealre took the gun back rather than fix it. It shot well and was a handy size. I do have a 99 Savage in .250 and that is a superb rifle/cartridge but the gun is a bit heavy. If you get your Mod 7, I think you will be extremely pleased with it.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I had a model 7 KS in 7-08. While I had higher hopes as far as accuracy is concerned, it's acceptable in such a light handy rifle. I'd rate it as portable and joyful to carry all day as my savage 99. I wouldn't mind buying a model 7 MS in .35 remington if I had the scratch burning a hole in my pocket.
    Last edited by fatnhappy; 12-16-2014 at 07:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    I forgot to add. Mine are a synthetic stocked in .223 and a custom shop wood stocked in 350 Remington Magnum.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

I liked the look/etc of the Model 7 MS, lamo stock & all - but when I realized that the cost for one new MS would buy me TWO new Ruger Model 77RSI mannlichers, I bought a Ruger in .250 Savage.

BTW - AFAIK, the Remington Custom Shop (where the MS is made) doesn't make a Model 7 MS until somebody orders one, so be prepared for a wait if you order one.

Boolit Master
    Not a MS, but I've had a model 7 since the first or second year that they made them. Three of us bought one from a local kitchen table dealer in our community, all three in 6mm Rem. That one little rifle has been a joy since day one and has accounted for the vast majority of the white tailed deer I have killed over the years. I have always called it my magic wand. I really like the look of the MS, but have never had the chance to handle one. I do have a hankering for a M7 in the original "short magnum" 350 Rem Mag. LGS has had one on the shelf for a while, but won't budge on the price.

Boolit Master

I have a Model 7 in 308 and one in 223. Both are great rifles. They are not MS but I wish they were.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    Have one of the custom shop guns, got it at the LGS. MS in 350 mag. Shoots very well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Have one of the custom shop guns, got it at the LGS. MS in 350 mag. Shoots very well.
    What are you doing for brass?

Banned

back in the day when i was able to afford custom stuff i wanted close to what you did but never pulled the trigger. It was before the model 7 and what i wanted was one of the manlichers from the custom shop on a short 700 in 250. it would be slicker yet on a 7 action

Boolit Grand Master
    cabezaverde----Had some unfired brass I bought a long time ago

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the responses Gents. Like most of you I assume, I don't NEED the rifle. I have most of the popular rifles in the most popular White-tail deer-hunting calibers, but it is something I'd like to have. It looks like the Ruger RSI would be a good alternative a half the price...Even less expensive would be the Ruger M77 compact, but nay, it is not a Mannlicher. What to do?...What to do?
    Jon

Banned

ive got one of the rsi ruger 250s and its a great shooting and pretty gun.

Boolit Master

A year or so ago my local Cabelas had a pair of MS models in their Gun Library, at, IIRC, significantly below the MSRP. I think they were a .222 and a .350. They are of course long gone, but if a fellow waits long enough and keeps his eyes open he can get a good deal on a slightly used "custom" rifle.

Boolit Master
    I saw a model seven in 308 for sale today. It looked like new but it was one of the older ones with iron sights and checkered schnabel stock. They were asking $550 for it and I'm thinking pretty hard about getting it. The little rifle was just so handy...
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    I don't have a full stocked model 7 but they look wonderful. Mine is a 350 Rem Mag and I have to say that it is one of my favorites. It's super accurate and a pleasure to carry since it is so light. It's quick to shoulder and just feels like it belongs. The only way it would be better is if it were a lefty.

I picked up a SS Model 7 in 223. Like the poster above, it doesn't extract, but I am just going to order a new extractor from Brownells and I should be good to go. Very light and handy...should make a good coyote gun.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces