Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Another Lyman 41027 found...

Another Lyman 41027 found...

at a local gunshow in Corning yesterday.

When I got back home, I thumbed thru each of my Lyman CB manuals and could not find it. And since I`ve had no internet access for the past 6 weeks or so, had to wait till I came to work. (grin)

Rather than post my obvious question...figured I`d better use the "search" feature. Lo and behold, got JudgeBAC`s request and Floodgate`s usual thoughtful and thorough response from 5/25/06.

The one I found wears cherry #216 and is also stamped 11 on one block, as is the hollowbase pin shank. Oddly, it had a set of Lyman handles I`ve never seen before...the usual wood, but "stamped" tongs. No pic, but I thought I`d mention this also.

Judge BAC,

You use yours yet?
    "I know what your thinking, did he fire six shots, or only five..."

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    STP:

I think you will find the "216" on both blocks - if so, it is a "match number" to keep the pair together. Likewise, the "11" is another "match number" to keep blocks and HB pin together. They dropped the pin match number about the same time they switched the stamping from "IDEAL" to "LYMAN"; about 1964, IIRC. They don't seem to hhave used the "outside supplier" two-letter codes at that time, and were probably making their own then.

Fg

Floodgate,

Yes, both blocks are stamped 216...I did not mean to indicate that is not.

What about those unusual stamped steel handles?

Also, I don`t have anything in .41 mag....but that hasn`t stopped me from making such purchases before!

Scott:

The stamped handles, I think, may have come from a TC or Herters mould set (or could they be from a SC or DC Lee mould?) Can you post a photo of them?

Doug

Doug,

I have several sets of those stamped Lyman handles in large and small cavity sizes. I've seen some of them included in Lyman's bullet casting kit that's complete with their old #45 lubricator, die mould handles and blocks of your choice, a stick of lube, gas checks if needed, plus a lead pot. I'm not sure what years they offered them, but it might have been because of the complaints about the cast iron one had a tendency to crack if the person using them had problems getting easy drop out and was banging on the side of the handles instead of the hinge. What years they were offered? I haven't a clue......Geo
    N.R.A. Life Member

George:

Interesting! I'd seen one or two of those handles but did not realize they came from Lyman; just assumed someone had borrowed them off one of the "el cheapo" mould sets. Now I guess I've gotta keep an eye out for one of those bullet casting kits. Or do you have a pair you'd be willing to swap? Thanks.

Doug

Doug,

No pics to offer, sorry.

George`s info is sure appreciated! I don`t think I`ve ever seen a complete kit as he described. Most of the kit`s contents scatter like quail in just a few years of use. I`ll keep a keen eye out for more of the same handles in the future.

If I get to either the Syracuse or Rochester gunshows this spring, I`ll ask Bill Loos about them.

In Remebrance

Just be happy you found some moulds at a show. Up here in the Great White North you ask for moulds and they say, "Yeah! I got a bunch." So you go to the shop and there they are- 3 Lee round ball moulds, a T/C Minnie and 11 of those Euroarms brass jobs that came with the Civil War peestol kits he sold back in '78. Sigh.......

Bret4207,
    Oh yeah...there were plenty of Lee RB`s available. (grin) Kinda like hunting for mushroom`s in the woods. If there`s Lee moulds around, surely there`s some Lymans or RCBS, or Geo. Hensleys too, right?

Funny thing about this particular show, as I always forget about it until I get a call and an offer of a ride. It`s in a Union Hall room with high ceilings and the poorest flourescent lighting I`ve ever seen. The "warm" orange glow makes all of the Ithaca 37`s on the tables and in the vertical racks look like new.
    Maybe 50 tables at best, but at least it`s only 2 bucks to get in....

Sorry Doug, that several turned out to be two. Guess I traded them or probably as usual one of my casting buddies is using them now.I only have One large and one small here now. Every once in a while a set of mould blocks show up where the normal Lyman's won't quite fit and these get pressed into duty. They tend to be a bit sloppy and when you try open the mould blocks while casting they cant just enough to make it extremely hard to open and end up bending the lead on the driving bands with a soft hot boolit. The as cast size gets changed and I scratched my head for years trying to understand why some boolits where bigger than others in the same batch. Now you know the rest of the story.....Geo
    N.R.A. Life Member