Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Need help with lead alloy

Boolit Bub

Need help with lead alloy

I have in the last year collected 267 lbs of pure lead shower liners, about 500lbs of lead shot from a turkey shoot range and 10 lbs of tin. In the past I've smelted WW and range lead and used them 50/50 to make 45 and 38 boolits that have shot well in my guns at the bullseye matches I attend.
    Now I'm looking for a recipe with the components listed that will have around the same brinnel hardness as the WW range lead mix I have been using. I tried the alloy calculator in the stickies but I had a read only note pop up on my screen.
    TIA
    Gene

Banned

clean the shot up and make ingots from it before you do much of anything else. [fire and sawdust will be your friend]
    as your cleaning it up look at the sizes of shot you have there.
    if it's mostly 7-8 then it should have about 5% antimony.
    if it's bigger like 4-5-6 then the antimony content will go down [about 3% would be right]
    if it's just a big mix of everything from #9 to #4 then you'll have to call it something [4% ? close enough]

go from there...
    or throw all the lead together,, add 1% tin and work with it you'll have enough to work with.

If you use the shot only for the antimony it has per runfiverun and use 1.6 oz of the tin for every 10 lbs lead
    1% tin/ 4% antimony/ 95% lead is equal to a Brinell of 13 on the calculator.
    I'm new at this, but it is fun. Donn

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys. How much lead does a 6qt dutch oven hold? I want to mix this as I'm smelting and pour ingots that are ready for casting or is there a good reason not to do this.

Banned

I'd just make the ingots first.
    then do a separate mix of casting alloy.
    the shot is a mess to work with and the graphite is a pita to remove from the pot and stuff.
    get that worked over and cleaned up first then weigh out your casting mix and put it together.
    this way you can give everything another cleaning.

Boolit Bub
    O K all that's left is to fire up the turkey frier and make some ingots. Made ingot mold out of 3" channel, makes about a 5 lb. ingot.so what would adding a ingot of the pure lead to 3 of the shot and 1% tin do to the brinnel.