RepackboxLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Nearing my goal......perfect boolits

Boolit Bub

Nearing my goal......perfect boolits

Well, A report is due on my casting learing curve. Got my PID working and I can't imagine casting without one. Temps within two deg. need I say more? I'm pouring a single cavity 535 gr Postell boolit and many would say.......can't be done with a bottom pour pot. I'm here to say, yes it can. Mold temp must be in the range of 500 deg using a hot plate. Maybe hotter since I don't have a way to measure mold temp. I have played with alloy temp from 715 to 790 deg using about a 40-1 alloy. The one thing and most important is the alloy temp must be constant and the mold temp constant to cast boolits with the least amount of variance when weighing the finished product.

I am striving for a precision boolit within + or - .2 in weight for BPCR Silhouette matches and those that don't measure up go in the reject pan for remelting. Boolits that make the grade are pan lubed using SPG. I am only casting for the 45/70 and don't expect to go beyond that caliber. Again volume is not my goal in boolit casting.....quality not quantity is the rule.

Again constant alloy temp and mold temp narrow the variance of the cast boolits weights. Constants are what is important to reduce the number of rejects. A new Sage mold is arriving tomorrow via USPS for more testing. Hope it works better than the BACO I'm currently using.

The opinions expressed above are my own and based on my limited experienced in boolit casting. Take it for what it's worth.
    Someone once said! Never argue with a stupid person..........I reckon so!

Boolit Master

Relax and just let it happen.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oneMOA View Post
    Again constant alloy temp and mold temp narrow the variance of the cast boolits weights.
    That's correct, took me more than a couple of years way back when to figure that out. Good luck on the steel critters.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member