Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Rust inhibiter for molds and smelter.

Boolit Bub

Rust inhibiter for molds and smelter.

I've got a cast iron dutch oven for a smelting vessel. It has a light to moderate coating of rust. From reading here I take it that before smelting WW's I should wire brush out the rust.
    Question #1. After the smelting/ingot producing operation how do I store the dutch oven so that I don't have to de-rust it again before the next use? I'm guessing thet it would be ok to coat it with old motor oil since that is mentioned as an acceptable fluxing agent for the smelting process.

Question #2. I have borrowed a broken-in RCBS mold from a dear friend that I want to protect from rust while it is in my care. Is there such a product that I could use for this that would not require stripping off before it is used for the actual casting of the bullets?
    Thanks fellas
    spurgon

Boolit Buddy

Leave the oven full and it is ready for the next time. Put mold in GI ammo can with rubber seal.

Boolit Buddy
    McMaster-Carr sells reusable silica gel containers that last (depending on humidity) quite a while. Then when used up just heat in the oven for a couple of hours at 300 degrees. I have three and they are great.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Stock #2219K91

Wineman

Boolit Buddy
    One of the best ways, the best way actually, to store molds is in a well sealed ammo box with a vapor phase inhibitor such as Zerust or Bullfrog. You can Google them. There will be no rust or oil to clean off, no mess whatever.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Agreeing with the other posts! I have stored my small collection of molds in a 50 Cal. ammo can with a sealed lid for many years! I have a jar of the disscant in with the molds and have never had a rusting issue! Just make sure you check it often to "renew" it when needed!

The molds must go back in the "can" as soon as they are cool to the touch!

As far as the smelting pot is concerned? Who cares if it has a little rust? As soon as you heat it up it will come off as you flux!

This means store it in a cool dry place not outside in the snow! My experience with rust inhibators is they take forever to get off and then smoke up the whole place after you think you've gotten it all off!

So don't put anything on the dutch oven and take reasonable care of it and it won't be a problem!

Boolit Mold

Rust in die's

Sir.

I use a light coat of moly lube on the inside of the mold. Moly lube comes in a spray can. Most any wholesale company that sells motors and lighting supplys
    should have it. You do not have to remove it to start casting again. Works great on the soft Lee molds. Will not burn off, only needs to be resprayed about every
    500 to 600 bullets. Try Grangers,I know they have it.

Mike Circle
    Circle141@msn.com
    727-544-1295