MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire extinguisher close to your bench?

Fire extinguisher close to your bench?

How many have one close enough to grab should the need arise? Never crossed my mind untill today. Although I do have one fairly close but probably not close enough. Also how big of one would it take to put out say a pound of powder?
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

Boolit Master
    I have fire extinguishers at both the work bench and the casting bench.

Boolit Master
    Mine is within 8 foot of me, anywhere in the reloading room.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master
    Won't put out an ounce of powder. Powder is self contained. It goes...you go. Fire extinguisher only displaces the oxygen, one way or another. That said, keep 1 or 2 around, to put out secondary fires. Got lots of powder? Separate it or prepare for the worst ................................... Lee
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I don't figure a pound of powder would be around to put out, by the time I got the thing lifted off the floor and the little plastic safety tag torn off.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Man

fire extinguisher...

Quote Originally Posted by 1989toddm View Post
    How many have one close enough to grab should the need arise? Never crossed my mind untill today. Although I do have one fairly close but probably not close enough. Also how big of one would it take to put out say a pound of powder?
    I don't think I would use an extinguisher on lit powder, I would think the blast would spread the powder all over and then a real BIG problem would present itself...could be wrong...tx

Just a little something to think about. A FE is better then nothing!

Boolit Master

I would think the blast would spread the powder all over
    What blast would that be ??
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Man

From the extinguisher...

I have two at the bench on the floor.

Boolit Master
    I keep one by the loading bench and one by the shop door. Also keep one in each bedroom, one at each end of the hallway, one in the kitchen and one by the BBQs

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

I keep one next to my reloading bench.

Got one just inside by washer. Set my lawnmower on fire the other day, (don't ask, stupid me) was in the front yard, 20 from open garage, ran to get it, and it had been moved. Was 4ft away on other side of door. Got it put out w/of damage, but I was upset about it moving. Make sure no one moves your extinguisher.

Thought it might be a good idea to have one of these by the door of the mancave/reloading room as I already have two extinguishers close by.
    http://www.statx.com/First_Responder.asp

Thinking our welders ought to have one in the bell hole close by as they are working on live gas lines ...
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master
    Why do you have burning material in your reloading room? When I started reloading I was a heavy smoker. I decided that I would not smoke while reloading. I don't make sparks when reloading. Not sure how fire is going to get into my reloading room. I do not have a fire extinguisher at hand.

Boolit Master
    When painting some apartments the guy I was working with had just made some crack about not wanting to get me PO'ed because I might shoot him. Just as he said this I reached for a damaged fire extinguisher laying in the corner. The moment I picked it up the damaged safety pin sheared the rest of the way through and mechanism had a malfunction and blew the damaged nozzle off with a sound near as loud as a .38 going off. The nozzle hit the wall right next to the guys head and dented the drywall. I've never seen anyone as scared as he was.

I have the same sort of FE hanging on the wall about ten feet from my loading bench.
    While it probably would not put out a propellant fire, since propellants produce their own oxygen, it would put out any small fire that might endanger the propellants, or put out any blaze started by a propellant accident.

Some double base powders will continue to burn under water, but single base powders can be neutralized by soaking with water.
    A large pitcher of water near at hand would very likely be more effective in preventing a powder flare up than a chemical or CO2 extinguisher.

Boolit Master
    My reloading room is also my casting room. I'm not so concerned about the powder that I have on the bench spontaneously combusting, as I am concerned with the materials that might ignite if I should have an "accident" with my lead pot. Those materials would be favorably "dealt with" using the fire extinguisher that is at hand. By the way, it is a small (3lb 9oz to 3lb 14oz) regular dry chemical bottle.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

My loading bench is in the same workshop as my wood-burning furnace....yeah, FEs are laying just about everywhere around here!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

I would not cast anywhere near my loading components.
    I doubt that you would have time to get an FE if powder where burning.
    BTW, I do have an FE it my shop, where do my casting .
    My loading room is away from my casting area....dale

Boolit Master

Leave the room first. Don't fight the fire standing in the middle of the room. Evaluate what you see and then decide on the next step. Like call the FD, or maybe wake the wife up. Your cold and steely skills in assessing and evaluating are critical.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill