MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Acknowledging Reality

Boolit Master
    Good to hear about the progress and that you will be back in your shop soon !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    If I can get the carbon fiber socket I think I can pull off the Robocop look...

I'm seriously considering how to incorporate an ankle holster for my J frame snubby and a place for a couple of speed loaders or speed strips.
    Why not, Keith. If they can put a 7" cap and ball holster in a boot you can put a J frame snubby in your leg!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm, some Kydex, heavy leather, stainless bracket/clamp to the leg tube... could put mag holders on the back of it

Boolit Grand Master

Well, that would be different. Most folks cannot attach a ankle
    holster with wood screws. . . . . .

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

"attach a ankle

Bill"

Don't do that! Get the guy who can "weld a banana skin to a 2x4" then it will last!
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Well, that would be different. Most folks cannot attach a ankle

Bill
    Actually, I was thinking along the lines of epoxy and rivets.

A friend suggested that I make a wooden peg leg and get a pirate's outfit to hand out candy at Halloween. Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Arggh, matey.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Actually, I was thinking along the lines of epoxy and rivets.

A friend suggested that I make a wooden peg leg and get a pirate's outfit to hand out candy at Halloween. Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Arggh, matey.
    I had an old friend back in Missouri, who had a lower buffalo leg, hair, hoof and all, made for his leg. He liked to stay primitive at the rendezvous!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Keith, glad to hear that you're progressing so well, and are pain free! As if you need the inspiration, here is a link to a short blurb about one of my personal heroes, Sergeant First Class Joseph Kapacziewski. He is the only amputee to return to combat as an Army Ranger. He suffered serious wounds to one leg in combat, and when the doctor told him that he would never regain 100% use of that leg, he insisted that they amputate it. This is one of the rare people upon whom morphine has no affect, so he was in constant excruciating pain during this entire ordeal.

Once he had his prosthesis fitted, he had to learn to walk, run, and make parachute jumps again! He receives no special treatment - he must meet the same physical standards as any other Ranger! He has completed five combat deployments since his amputation, and carries a spare prosthesis with him. He has also become a triathlete, and has completed two marathons.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/08/ba...at-five-times/
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Inquiring minds need to know!

What is the status of the air pistol project?

Moderator Emeritus

I've tried wax bullets and plastic rounds, but I've been wanting to get a decent air pistol for a while, so thanks for good suggestion but I think that's what I'm going to do. I can always melt down the used pellets to add to my lead stock.
    Keith,
    Yeah...did you find a decent air pistol ?
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Keith, good to hear of your progress.

While an ankle holster will be cool, maybe you can take the whole idea up a notch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	terror.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	113951
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post

Name:	terror.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	113951

Keith is that what you really look like? Here I thought you were an old guy like me!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

Saw doctor Thursday and got rest of staples and stitches removed. All is OK, healing progressing as it should. Wife has to put Betadyne and wrap bandage around stump one last time and then her job as a nurse is over!

Friday I got fitted by prosthetist with a stump shrinker. It's basically a cone shaped sock made from very thickly woven elastic material. It is designed to squeeze down the knot at the end of the stump and shape stump into a cone. Three weeks from now they will measure stump and assess shape and then do it again a week later. If no significant change they will start making socket, which takes 1-3 weeks. I'm still on track for walking again by early to mid October.

2wheelDuke - I'll never look as good as the babe in your picture; I'll never even have hardware that looks that good!

Brassmagnet has kindly offered to have George deliver an air pistol that is currently not being used. Thanks! I'll pay it back or pay it forward when I get on my feet again.

Boolit Grand Master

perfessor,

I have a friend with a prosthetic foot, and I have worked on it before when the bolt that
    lets the foot pivot at the ankle broke on him. Got a Grade 8 replacement, removed the
    broken stub and bolted it back together. Better than new, the original bolt was unmarked,
    meaning Grade 2. Thousands of $ for a hand made prosthetic and they put junk bolts in it.
    Hard to understand.

So - rivets and epoxy would be good for the holster mount, or maybe rivet in an aircraft
    nutplate and you can then screw on whatever you want.

I can send you a few of these if they would be useful. 8-32 or 10-32, can be set flush
    and the nut part floats a bit to permit some self-alignment. I used them in my aircraft
    for access plate attach screws.

http://www.aircraftfast.com/art/ms21...nut-plates.jpg

I am really glad to hear that the healing is doing so well, and especially your mental attitude
    is so positive. That attitude may be one of the most important weapons in your arsenal
    to beat this thing.

Have a good day!

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 08-23-2014 at 11:50 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the offer Bill, I appreciate it. Let's hold off for a while. I don't know what the end result is going to look like, and the odds are after 6 months to a year they will change the attachment system to a vacuum type from the peg and cam system I will initially be fitted with. The vacuum type is supposed to prevent "pistoning", where socket slides up and down slightly as you walk. For folks that stand mostly in place the peg and cam system works OK, but after a while most people want a more secure fit.

Another factor is that the surgeon left as much of the lower leg intact so I could have the longest practical stump. That limits any space under socket down to ankle.

One up side is that the engineering department will let me use any of several 3D scanners and printers, and have even told me that they could make a capstone student project out of instrumenting or otherwise dithering with my hardware. I can reverse-engineer the existing hardware and make anything I want to fit it. At a minimum I want to mold in several knife slots, and I like the idea of an adapter plate. But weight is a factor. Too many unknowns at this point.

What I do know is that I have a long list of personal and professional projects waiting for me. Everything from getting out the grill and cooking some brats and chicken wings to making a custom mount for a red dot sight on a .357 Blackhawk. Not to mention resuming production of all the commercial stuff. The list goes on...

Boolit Master

George ran out of here yesterday in a big rush.

This is all I saw as he ran away!

Name:	dollarback.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	114311

I don't know what he was doing, but I can't find it!

Boolit Master

Ordeal is close to being over with

Saw prosthetist today. My stump has stabilized in size. He made a cast over my stump that they will use in the process of making the final socket, which will be hand laid up carbon fiber and resin. I go see him again next Monday (9/22/14) for a sample fitting in a clear socket that is used to check fit up. Then the following Tuseday (9/30/14) I will get fitted with the final socket.

I will be walking by the end of the month. The thought of being fully mobile and pain free in two more weeks is almost emotionally overwhelming. It's been a long time coming.

Had a few other minor health issues the last few weeks but those have been mostly dealt with.

After a couple of days wearing my prosthesis I will know what my endurance level is going to be. I'm hoping to get get back out in shop as soon as I can and start making things again. I'll post another thread when I'm ready to start making custom items again.

I want to acknowledge that Brassmagnet's friend George dropped off a very fine air pistol at my house a couple of weeks ago. I want to take some photos of it and shoot it, but that will just have to wait a couple of weeks. I will start up a thread when I get a chance to wring it out.

Thank you Brassmagnet and George, your thoughtfulness is appreciated.

Boolit Master
    More good news, sir.

Boolit Master
    Light at the end of the tunnel. Bloody good. I'm very excited for you. I've had my mill, lathe and tooling for 13 plus years. The smell of the cutting & cleaning fluids, Dykem, etc. that make up the smell of the machine shop always makes me feel like I'm home.

Best news and best post I've read in weeks.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

That's great to hear Keith. Obviously you made the correct decision and are making it work.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)