MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware if you scrounge 25 ACP brass

Boolit Master

Beware if you scrounge 25 ACP brass

I just got a surprise while de-priming a bunch of 25 ACP brass I picked up at the range this summer. All the ones with a Hornady headstamp were Berdan primed.
    It's a shame, bet there was close to a hundred of them. At least I didn't break the de-priming pin.

Now that's a first I've heard from them!
    I have some Norma 30-06 that also berdan primed.

Boolit Master

Yep, I have found more than a few myself.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    A ploy to discourage re-loading and increase the sale of their loaded ammo? Just asking . . . .

Boolit Grand Master
    Hmmm. I wonder why. Any other caliber brass that you know of that one would just assume is boxer primed??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I used to find a lot of 9mm Berdan primed brass. I'm pretty sure there was 32 ACP Berdan primed as well. Those were all expected to be Berdan though. Perhaps Berdan primed brass is cheaper.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

In Remembrance
    I wouldn't throw those away, it isn't hard at all to convert them over to boxer.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Might have been the only brass they could get their hands on. I can't imagine any brass manufacturer shutting down their line which is making a higher demand brass to run some 25 cal stuff.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dakotashooter2 View Post
    Might have been the only brass they could get their hands on. I can't imagine any brass manufacturer shutting down their line which is making a higher demand brass to run some 25 cal stuff.
    Probably a brief risk/reward assessment was made and they went with what was cheaper. The overall percentage of customers that shoot .25 is pretty small to begin with. The percentage of those that reload it is REALLY small.

Heck, ammo manufacturers are risking the outcry that results from injecting small-primer .45ACP brass on their lead-free primer rounds into the marketplace, and there actually IS a reloading market for that round.

Yes, it probably is worth sending them an e-mail saying "HEY! Knock off that Berdan foolishness". It might stick, but realize your place in the market is rather an eccentric one.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Was it brass or does Hornady make the 25 in their steel line of inexpensive competition ammo?

Boolit Master

For a low demand item like 25 ACP I wouldn't be surprised if they bought custom headstamped brass from another mfg like Fiocchi, instead of invest in the tooling.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    For a low demand item like 25 ACP I wouldn't be surprised if they bought custom headstamped brass from another mfg like Fiocchi, instead of invest in the tooling.
    Possibly but all the 9MM Fiocchi brass I have is boxer primed. We can only speculate without hearing it from the horse's mouth. My guess is Hornady struck up a deal with an over seas supplier.

I was unaware of the demand for 25ACP brass until I listed some here for sale several years ago. 25 and 32ACP brass is sometimes used for caps for muzzle loaders or in the case of my buyer. A muzzle loading, black powder cannon.

Boolit Master
    I have heard of Black Powder Muzzle Loaders using a Breech Plug arrangement set up for .25ACP primed cases as an easier priming method than either "209" Shotgun primers or 'Caps' and Definitely easier and more 'weatherproof' than pan and flintlock.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Colohunter View Post
    Was it brass or does Hornady make the 25 in their steel line of inexpensive competition ammo?
    It was brass, not steel or aluminum.

Boolit Master
    Fiocchi is boxer primed, but S&B is the only Berdan primed I have seen. I have not seen Hornady headstamped .25 ACP, and I was crazy(bored?) enough to sort 8k by headstamp last year. I would say they probably source it from S&B and thanks for the heads up.

Boolit Master

I thought I had scored big time when I found a bunch of LC headstamped .30 carbine brass at the range. It all turned out to be berdan primed and have since read about this being Chinese mfgr and a known forgery.

Boolit Master
    LC52 perhaps? That was the headstamp on my Chinese brass.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Boolit Master

Yep Poygan...same.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post

realize your place in the market is rather an eccentric one.
    One of the nicer things said about some of us!
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Boolit Master
    if you think ".25ACP" is an 'eccentric market' then what do you think of those of us who reload .25 Stevens or .32 long Colt sizes? And the .25ACP does fit the .25 Stevens chamber like a .25 Stevens Short, just CF instead of RF.