Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bison Hunt

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    LOL well I would have traded 2 for 1 Bison hunt.

Where in MATSU do you live.

We lived out Fairview Loop.

Been looking at MATSU MLS cause I have to get out of this East coast hell.

Tom
    Wasilla. Ya, c'mon up!
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Congratulations! Looks like a very fine beast. We can wait a little while for the story but don't leave us hanging too long!! Awesome job
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Buddy

Great looking Buff, RugerFan. Eager to hear the full story. Congrats on a successful hunt.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RugerFan View Post
    Details will follow soon I promise. Give me a bit to catch my breath and get this meat and taxidermy work squared away. Shot him on day 6, so we got out early. We were very fortunate to have the beast fall just around the bend from camp #3 so we could float right up to it. Made packing much easier.

congrats, That is awesome. I want to do a buffalo hunt once I get some time and the kids are out of college.

Can't wait for more details! Congrats!!

Cast Hunter

The Story

Ok, this is going to be kind of long so here is part I. I'll type up the rest of the float and get that posted shortly.

On 31 Aug My hunting partner, John and I loaded up my pickup and headed to Talkeetna, Alaska where we were to fly out with Sheldon Air. My wife came along to drive my truck home because we would be flying back to Anchorage with a different Air service at the end of the float.

Crazy how that pilot was able to get our rather large disassembled cataraft and all our gear crammed into that Cessna 185. We were packed in there like sardines. We joked later that the plane was the bush equivalent of a USPS flat rate box (“If it fits, it ships”).

About 90 minutes or so later, we landed on a small gravel air strip 15 miles inside the mountains on the South Fork of the Kuskokwim River. After a couple hours of carrying gear to the river’s edge, assembling/inflating the raft and stowing gear, we were on our way.

Floating through the mountains we saw a cow moose and several Dall sheep, but no shooter rams. We floated until nearly dark and made camp on a gravel bar. No buffs yet, but we weren’t going to get to the projected target rich area till the next day.

I had previously asked the game biologist that covered this area where the bison would likely be in September. He said they usually concentrate between Egypt Mountain and the Dillinger River (this section is just outside the mountains).He emphasized they could be anywhere along our float, but usually hang towards the upper end during this time frame.

Now let me explain what miserable braided mess this river is. Not only does the braiding make the channels very shallow, but the water is extremely silty and opaque.This makes judging depth more difficult. The river is also a minefield of dead trees that are constantly washing down as banks erode. Makes braid choice as you’refloating very important lest you find yourself doing a lot of dragging.

Our second camp (and first in the target zone) was awash in buff tracks and patties. Unfortunately the sign was all old. They had been there in force, but were gone. We spent two rainy days hiking around the willow flats and foothills behind looking for Bison, but just found more old sign. We also saw wolf, bear and moose tracks.

The next day brought sunshine, so we got to dry out a bit and then loaded up and floated again. Now seeing a good willow flat and getting to it is two different things. As already mentioned, the river is very braided with multiple channels. If the flat you want to investigate doesn’t border a floatable channel, you’re notlikely to get there (as there are usually smaller channels that are still too deep to traverse with hip waders in between).

We would float a bit and stop when we could get to a decent looking area. Same story again and again. Nothing but old bison sign. That evening we made camp again followed by another disappointing day. I was beginning to wonder if this was going to be just the most epic sightseeing float ever.

By the next day’s float, we were well west of the target area where the bison were “likely” to be. Coinciding with that was the old sign we were seeing was diminishing as well. Making camp that night I was feeling a bit discouraged.

In the morning we headed south behind camp through the alders and brush. Now we were seeing no sign at all. After wading a couple small creeks and crossing a narrow beaver dam we eventually came into a small grassy clearing. Beyond that was a brush line and then another narrow clearing. John was about 10 yards to my right when I got my first glimpse down that next clearing. I couldn’t believe my eyes. A BISON!

Jiminy Cricket that thing looked huge. The bull was 50 yards away and feeding towards me. I motioned to John what I was seeing and we both eased down to one knee. We were in the open with no immediate cover and only had the small brush line to hide us. Now all I needed was a broadside shot.

It continued to feed towards us and at about 30 yards it looked over the brush at us and froze. We were busted. I had no idea how spooky bison were or how’d they normally react in that situation, but I was pretty sure he didn’t like having us that close. By this point the bull was quartering towards me somewhat, but I had a pretty decent shot. I put the front sight on his shoulder and pulled the trigger. That behemoth did a 180 and began a hasty retreat. Before he departed into the brush I was able to fire 3 more rounds aimed at his chest. John said he saw the first 3 shots impact, but wasn’t sure about the forth.

As we eased passed the brush line to survey the scene, a second buff the same size stood about 50 yards away glaring. After a brief stare down that one departed to the south east. We thought that maybe he was standing his ground waiting for his buddy that certainly must be dead nearby. I couldn’t imagine an animal soaking up 424 grain projectiles like that and getting very far.

I was in for a surprise. There was plenty of bright red lung blood on the ground where he began his retreat and smeared on a nearby tree, but the blood trail abruptly ended there. We discussed giving him time to expire, but I was concerned that if the bull was still moving, he would get into an inaccessible area. The openings in the brush and soft ground allowed us to move very quietly, so we decided to proceed. We split up and began a sneak and peak for blood/tracks/carcass.

Very shortly I heard John whistle as he had certainly found something. I went over to meet him and he said, “Your buffalo is over here standing by the river. He’s obviously hurt bad.” He led me to where he saw the bull and I ranged it at 130 yards, but wanted to get closer to 100 if possible. About that time the bison started into the river. It was shallow enough for him to wade across and he did so fairly slowly and looked in rough shape. I scooted up to a pile of drift logs at the river’s edge, got a good rest and waited for him to reach the other side. I was NOT going to shoot that monster in the water.

Once he labored across, I let him take a few steps on dry ground (105 yards). With a quartering away shot (on his right side) I put the front sight on his rib cage and pulled the trigger. The big bull shuddered at the impact, but remained standing. I hit him two more times and then watched his legs get wobbly. Now I finally knew he was mine. He laid down and rolled over. Done deal! Now the work begins.

Last edited by RugerFan; 07-30-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Man
    Great story! Definitely on the bucket list!

Cast Hunter

The boolit on the left was the first shot from the second volley. It entered at the back of the rib cage taking out two ribs and lodged in the brisket.

The next one was also from the second volley. It entered the right hind quarter, traversed the entire buff and lodged in the neck under the hide.

Number 3 was found in the guts and was from the first encounter (not sure which shot).

Number 4 was from the second volley and entered about 6” from boolit number 2. It was also found in the neck.

Number 5 was dug out of a chunk of meat back home during final meat processing. Had to be from the first encounter.

Lung and liver damage was extensive. The bull also had a hole in his heart. That was one tough hombre.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention my boolits weigh 424 grains with gas check (before lubing).
    Last edited by RugerFan; 10-01-2014 at 12:32 AM. Reason: More info
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Buddy

RF, what boolits are those?

GREAT hunt, btw!

Boolit Master
    Nice story! Thanks for sharing.
    Maineboy

Congratulations again. Thank you for the detailed story! I am amazed at how tough that buff was! Have a great weekend.
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Master

Wow! Great story!
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master

Good job, congrats! A good hunting story well told, thanks for sharing it with us. Any idea what that critter weighed?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Amazing hunt!

Shooting until the animal stops moving is a big deal when the animal is that big.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Good job, congrats! A good hunting story well told, thanks for sharing it with us. Any idea what that critter weighed?
    The ADF&G web site says an adult bull can weigh over 2,000 lbs on the hoof. That's probably the upper end of the scale, but I'm guessing mine wasn't too far off of that considering the horns are likely to make B&C. I'll know for sure after the 60 day drying period, but the green score is looking good.
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master

Whew! That is a very handsome beast, and surely worthy of the effort you put into it. I am amazed at the animals ability to absorb all that energy and still keep going. Congradulations on a very successful hunt. Got to be one of the best hunts a person can experience.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

If my count is correct, you fired 7 times with 6 confirmed hits and recovered 5 slugs. It seems amazing to me all the good, solid hits that animal took before going down. They must be really tough! Thanks for sharing your story!

Very nice hunt. I live in the Palmer area. Been putting in for years for Bison, Musk ox and Kodiak Brown Bear maybe some day. Great job and good story.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by dlbarr View Post
    RF, what boolits are those?

GREAT hunt, btw!
    RCBS 45-405-FN (#2 alloy)
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Amazing story and pics RugerFan. I browsed through some of your other pictures on your site and am extremely jealous. You have great hunting land and game there in Alaska....outstanding. Very cool. Congrats on your success.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further brotherhood of a man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.