Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: American Reloaders Association Bulletins

Boolit Mold

American Reloaders Association Bulletins

Hi - I have a year of A.R.A Bulletins from 1971. Does anyone have any info about them. I got them from my uncle. Is the info still useful ? Let me know Terry

ARA Bulletins

tntwc,
    I have most of the early years of the ARA Bulletin. Dean Grennell surely worked his kiester off getting those out on time. If I remember correctly, those bulletins were done by he and his family.
    "I know what your thinking, did he fire six shots, or only five..."

In Remebrance

I remember being a member. Still ahve a sew on patch somewhere. Pretty much anything Dean wrote is good stuff.

Boolit Mold
    are they worth anything value wise??

Dean Grennell was pure gold. His writing style turned even the most tedious technical stuff into enjoyable reading. It was a sad day when he passed away (spring 2004 if memory serves).

Boolit Buddy
    I think it was in 2003 that I Googled him. Nothing. I asked around over on the Reload Bench.com. A few remembered him. I thought he was such a talented writer. I spent many an hour chuckling through his articles. Wish I knew him personally. I am saddened to hear of his passing. Didn't know about it. There will never be another like Dean Grennell.

Has anyone ever heard of Frank Petrini? When I was a kid in the '70s he was writing for Shooting Times. He's the guy who got me started reloading and probably casting boolits. Thanks Frank, wherever you are.

Paul

Dean Grennell

tntwc,

I`d have to say that they do...

I spent a great deal of time just reading about casting before I finally got started. Guess who`s prose registered the most with me? (Gun Digest Volumes)

I found my stack of his Bulletins shortly afterwards at a gunshow, and his commentaries on the new (1960`s) products was refreshingly honest.

At a recent show I picked up George Nonte`s "Modern Handloading" Winchester Press 1972 and find the same kind of common sense style.

Good ol` "paper" is often overlooked....(grin)
    "I know what your thinking, did he fire six shots, or only five..."

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Lets take another step on memory lane and read Yours Truly by Harvey Donaldson. He was a man who had been there and done that. I waited for each new issue of, was it Handloader, because he was sitting across the campfire from me telling his story. P S Didnt George Nonti die in a fire in his reloading room while working on a new product, soon to become available, called Pyrodex BWB

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Bill:

No, George Nonte died - prematurely - from illness. It was Dan Pawlak, inventor of Pyrodex, who was killed in the powder mill explosion. One of the older experimenters from the '30's, whose name escapes my aging memory (J. Bushnell Smith???) also died in a fire, this one in his loading room full of powder, primers and general trash, back before WWII.

floodgate
    Last edited by floodgate; 02-21-2008 at 02:16 PM.